Windows 8 forum

Question

wifi Connection HELP

by JordanMCG / March 19, 2014 11:43 PM PDT

So I'm having a weird *** problem with my wifi. It works fine on my laptop, xbox and the like. But each time I try to connect to it on my windows 8 pc it either says - The network security key isn't correct - even though my password is correct because I use the same one on my laptop and have it saved there. Or when I try to do it automatically using the button on the modem it says Windows can't get settings automatically. Enter Security Key instead.

I've rebooted my pc to factory settings and it still won't recognize my security key.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wifi Connection HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wifi Connection HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Without router make/model and details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2014 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: wifi Connection HELP

I'm going to write it's likely the security key was changed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: password
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 19, 2014 11:50 PM PDT

My guess: you didn't correctly enter that password on your Windows 8 PC. Try it with another one (start simple,just a few letters and digits) until it works, then change it on your laptop, xbox and the like also.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
mhh
by titoo7x / March 23, 2014 1:47 PM PDT

try to type the password in a form on a website, maybe the keyboard switches some chars

Collapse -
Answer
Well you can reset your password at your router.
by orlbuckeye / March 23, 2014 9:58 PM PDT

Usually routers and a little hole in the back if you stick a pen tip or a paper clip in it will set the router back to default. Then you would have to set the router security up again and reset the password on the other devices.

But probable a better solution is to use the laptop and then do the second part of the resetting of the router. Either way if you change the password your going to have to reset all your devices.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!