Peripherals forum

General discussion

Widescreen monitor - whats needed to make games compatible?

Hello - I'm thinking of buying the Samsung 244T widescreen LCD for my PC. I'm also buying a new PC and want to make sure everything's compatible. What will I need as far as a video card? I know that some PC games are compatible with 16:9 ratio, but what about the ones that aren't? Will they be stretched out or just normal size (4:3) on the screen - with black bars on the left and right of the screen?
Any help is much appreciated?
Thanks
Tim

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Widescreen monitor - whats needed to make games compatible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Widescreen monitor - whats needed to make games compatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that's what I'm thinking too

In reply to: Widescreen monitor - whats needed to make games compatible?

If a display ain't wide enough, black bars appear along the top and bottom. If it's too wide, I'm sure black bars appear on the sides instead.

As for a vid card, just check to see it supports widescreen resolutions (divide the numbers to see if you get the 16:9 ratio)

Collapse -
It all depends...

In reply to: Widescreen monitor - whats needed to make games compatible?

I run the http://www.widescreengamingforum.com

We work to find solutions for individual games. Each game is different in it's support of widescreen. Some games won't support it, and you will have the option of stretching or black bars. Those that do support a non-stretched resolution, might not have a perfect FOV. If your montior supports 1:1 or Aspect Scaling, then you won't have any problems. If not, Nvidia offers this option in their drivers. ATI does not.

You won't see a widescreen res in your driver list until you hook up a widescreen monitor. They should appear automatically. If you're looking for a res that isn't there, you'll have to add it manually. You can use a tool called Powerstrip to do that. I believe you can also add custom res in the driver panel in Nvidia's driver set.

Collapse -
How popular are widescreens?

In reply to: It all depends...

I have posted a query along the same lines but I now wonder if its a coincidence that the vast majority af TFT's are standard 4:3 aspect.
Perhaps widescreen is more bother than it's worth as there are few unknowns about standard monitors.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.