HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Widescreen lcd help

by Samhri / October 17, 2007 9:32 AM PDT

I have a new 22" lcd widescreen. It displays some websites full screen and some only half screen and also jams some lines together.
Any ideas how to correct this????
Other than that it is great.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Widescreen lcd help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Widescreen lcd help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may have to live with it. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 17, 2007 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Widescreen lcd help

Most sites are created for the standard square screen. As long as you have the resolution set correctly, I don't know of any fix.

Collapse -
What do you mean?
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Widescreen lcd help

Did you install the drivers for the new monitor? That will help.

You said the screen displays some websites as full screen and some only half screen. What is your screen resolution set at? The higher the resolution, the smaller the contents on web pages will be.

I'm not sure what you mean by "jams some lines together". Can you make a screenshot?

Collapse -
Drivers are ok
by Samhri / October 17, 2007 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you mean?

Excite. com, Google & Yahoo all display full screen left to right. MSN only about 2/3's left to right. Some sites, most of page will display 2/3's but some lines will be jammed up.

Collapse -
MSN site is fine.
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Drivers are ok

MSN's site will fille the browser window if you screen resolution is 800x600. Any higher and the site has gaps on the sides. I noticed that when I went from 800x600 to 1024x768. The same is probably true for other sites as well.

Some sites, like MSN, most likely use tables to put their whole pages into and tables you can make any size you want. Other sites don't use tables so they will end up filling the window, regardless of your screen resolution. The only thing you can really do about it is change your screen resolution, but there's nothing wrong with your computer. As long as you can see everything on the page, that's all that matters.

I hope this clears that up for you.

You still never explained what you mean by "jams some lines together".

Collapse -
Screenshot
by Samhri / October 19, 2007 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: MSN site is fine.

How can I send a screenshot to you?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.