Cameras forum

General discussion

Wide Angle Digital Cameras

I am looking to purchase a new digital camera. I am in real estate and need wide angle capability. I currently use the kodak dc210. Does anyone have advice on the best but reasonable camera that won't break the bank.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wide Angle Digital Cameras
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wide Angle Digital Cameras
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How wide does wide need to be, and how much is

In reply to: Wide Angle Digital Cameras

reasonable? Your Kodak has a 29mm wide angle capability. Do you want more, less or the same?

Collapse -
Wide Angle Lens

There are not a lot of choices:

Olympus C5060
Sony F828
Konika Minolta A200
Canon S70
Canon S60
Canon Pro-1
Nikon 8400
Fujifilm E500
Fujifilm E510

And that is it for the major brands of cameras.

The Fujifilm cameras are about $215 - $260
The Canon S60 S70 are around $450
The rest are above $500

Collapse -
Or you could get a converter

All the cameras mentioned on this thread have a minimal equivalent focal length of about 28mm, which is definitely on the wide end. To go any lower, you can buy a .5x or .7x lens that screws in front of your camera, bringing it down to 15 or 20mm. I have one of these for my Panasonic and I love it.

For more info:

http://digitalcameraguide.blogspot.com

BNM

Collapse -
wide angle digital

I'm a real estate appraiser and have the same need. I wound up buying a Nikon Coolpix 5400 because it's 3x optical zoom at wide angle had the 35mm equivilent of a 28mm wide angle. I understand the newer Coolpix has a 24mm equivilent. I've also heard that Olympus has a similar wide angle camera.

If you find something with an even wider lense, I'd love to hear about it.

jmark1949@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I am also in Real Estate

I am also in real estate and use an older Kodak DC280 which has a 30-60mm (35mm equivalent) lens. I was using a DC210 until mine broke. The DC280 is a little bulkier, but it has a lens cap, unlike the DC210. You can find them used on ebay for under $100. I needed one with a fairly wide angled lens but it also had to be small enough to fit in my pocket, since I do appraising and don't want it swinging around while I am measuring. The DC280 is somewhat bulky, but does fit in my pocket. It is a 2 megapixel camera, so it isn't the best resolution, but good enough for basics, including web publishing.

Collapse -
2 more cameras with wide angle lenses

Okay, I just found 2 more cameras with wide angle lenses. Fuji E500 and Fuji E510. I think they both have the same wide angle, from 28mm-91mm. The E500 is probably the best bet, with 4 megapixels and around $200 or so. It appears to be relatively small also, so that works better for me. I haven't seen it in person, just found it online.

Collapse -
Shooting residential interiors creatively -- how to?

Hi. Here's an interesting challenge to you photogs out there. I work in real estate in New York City. Need some resources: My million dollar apartments have small rooms, are plain and cooky cutter with ordinary lines over and over. Lighting is frequently not great, though sometimes it is good.

So, HOW can I make ordinary look dramatic, lovely and inviting? I need tips and technique to give allure and style -- to provoke fantasy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!