General discussion

Wi-Fi vs wireless Internet service

I am looking to log on to the internet if I am traveling and not at a Wi-Fi hotspot. I guess I am confused on the difference between Wi-Fi and wireless internet provided by a phone company like Alltel or Verizon. If I buy a laptop that says it has 802.11g, is that just good for Wi-Fi at a Starbucks or some other "hotspot", or will 802.11g also work for providing wireless internet access with a phone provider like Alltel, Verizon, etc? Maybe I should also ask if 802.11g is a card built into a laptop, and if you must have another type of card for wireless internet service?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Wi-Fi vs wireless Internet service
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wi-Fi vs wireless Internet service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Wireless

802.11g is now a common feature built in to laptops. It allows you to connect to hotspots or your home network. It will not connect to your phone provider's wireless Internet access. You must purchase a different card for that.

- Collapse -
wifi mo-broadbnd

802.11 cards are for hot spots and wifi
If you want to use the internet anywhere and everywhere, get a nice cell phone(like my blackberry) and tether with it, or a mobile broadband card and stick it in your laptop.

CNET Forums