Question

Wi-fi stuck on turning on (Samsung J5-2016)

Hi everyone,

I am dealing with a quite difficult issue and I really need any help. So yesterday my phone lost connectivity on wi-fi and since then all the wifi settings on my phone are dead and I can't do anything. To be more specific. I was using some questionable apps trying to recover some lost contacts on my phone which was connected to my laptop. Now some of those programs like phonepaw were installed through my computer to my phone. I believe that it was phonepaw that did the damage as my phone's screen was turning on and off and that is when I noticed I had lost wi-fi connectivity and could not turn it back on. I deleted all those apps but as well as having the conectivity issue I got a warning from my phone for a threat. I scanned the phone several times but I could not find anything. So this far I rooted my phone, trying to fix the issue, removed the battery, restarted the device etc. I have done all the basic stuff you see online and more but nothing works. Is there a way to repair my phone and get my wi-fi connectivity back, or should I give up? I have used Odin, Es File explorer, Frx Wifi fix and rescue, Root Browser, Link2SD, literally everything to get inside acces to my phones data.

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Wi-fi stuck on turning on (Samsung J5-2016)
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Wi-fi stuck on turning on (Samsung J5-2016)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Good story to tell others about backups.

I'm seeing folk using their phones and not backing up then when disaster strikes getting really upset over the state of things today.

It appears your use of questionable apps given that you are seeing the threat message means you are looking at having the phone flashed back to stock. There are articles about apps that root your phone with malware and the only exit is to do a factory flash. Bye bye any data you didn't backup.

So there it is. Get the phone back to factory conditions and it might work again. Data? That was the owners decision to safeguard or not. Don't let them tell you it wasn't their choice.

- Collapse -
Not such a good story

No data was lost and I am smart enough to have everything on my phone on constant backup.So yea. Not such a good story about backups. As everything is safe and sound. And with all due respect I don't get why the sarcasm.

The only issue as I said is the wifi connection and that is what I am trying to fix. Also I have already reset the device into factory conditions and it didn't work.

- Collapse -
Sorry if I was unclear.

I wrote to have the phone flashed to factory condition. Not to reset it. Some of these trojan'd apps install a rootkit that survives factory resets and the only fix is to do the full factory flash. I don't discuss how beyond having the maker do it or give a nod to XDA Forums.

If the wifi is still out after this then it's 99.99999% sure you have a hardware failure.

- Collapse -
Hard reset

So you are talking about a hard reset. I might need to do some digging then and get into it.

- Collapse -
I never defined this as a hard reset.

There are articles about this rather nasty trojan business so I do not want to duplicate the web here. I only want to give the phone it's last best shot. Again, have the phone flashed to factory conditions.

If you can't do that, try other rom's from XDA Forum even though that's not what I do here.

- Collapse -
PS. I skipped or glossed over an area.

In many of the root or flashing steps they have you clear some data areas. Remember I think of this as you assisting in the research and repair and when I write to have it flashed to stock I make too many assumptions folk will follow the instructions for what to do after the flash.

Example: "Odin flash doesn't wipe user apps and their data, but it may cause bugs if you come from another ROM.." Which is why you always wipe user apps and data. Always.
More at https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2583588

CNET Forums

Forum Info