Computer Help forum

General discussion

wi-fi router issues: desktop has to be on?

by monsieurms / August 1, 2010 3:06 AM PDT

Hi--I am trying to do the following. I'm not sure where this winds up or if I'm missing a piece.

I am adding a wireless router (to be ordered) to my cable modem to broadcast that signal to my laptop.

My desktop is not a wireless computer, has no wi-fi capability per se, but I don't care if my desktop files, etc are accessible from the laptop. I'm simply trying to broadcast the cable system to my laptop, in another part of the residence, which laptop is a wi-fi capable computer, so that I can can access the internet on my laptop wirelessly.

With that said, does that work with just the router attached to the cable modem?

--Second, assuming that works, does the desktop have to be on for any reason, for the laptop to connect?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wi-fi router issues: desktop has to be on?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wi-fi router issues: desktop has to be on?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Should work ok, but what I had to do.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 1, 2010 4:54 AM PDT

I purchased a new Desktop and have retained my old Desktop as a testing station. Neither are wireless capable so I got a wireless adaptor to allow it to connect to the wireless capable router.

So I have 1 Desktop connected by cable to the router, and 1 older Desktop connected wirelessly to the router, (like your laptop will be).

What I had to do:

Routers are different, but with my router, a Netgear WNR2000, I had to press a button on the router itself, within 60 seconds, to set up the wireless connection during the setup procedure. However, my two computers were side by side at the time, and I had my cabled computer up and running at the same time and had the router setup page displaying in the browser on that cabled computer. Since my router was a short distance away in another room, getting to it, pressing the button and racing back, all in 60 seconds, seemed like hard work.

I noticed an option in the cabled system's router setup page to "Click here" to confirm the other, wireless, settings. So I did!

That worked.

You may not have to go through all that, so I can only suggest you read up in the manual what you need to do.

One thing I must suggest. Use WPA2 and a strong SSID password to set up the wireless connection.

Also, have you changed the password for accessing the router's setup page? My own router's default values were Admin for username, and Password for the password. You can't change the username, but that password needs changing to something stronger.

Mark

Collapse -
Simply . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 1, 2010 7:54 AM PDT

Routers today are plug-n-play. You will need the desktop wired to it to set it up. Follow the instructions or CD supplied with the router.

As mentioned above, use WPA(2) for security. Make sure the laptop has Wireless Zero enabled. It probably already is, but it's easy in Computer management on the laptop.

The the router works independent of any PC.

Collapse -
No...desktop is not necessary.
by Papa Echo / August 1, 2010 8:50 AM PDT

Configure and setup the router per insructions in the manual...via the laptop. Just have the modem and router ON..[can be switched off when not in use]... Later, if you want the Desktop to have Internet access, fit in a NIC [for direct connection to the router] or aUSB wireless adapter.

Collapse -
many thanks
by monsieurms / August 1, 2010 9:21 PM PDT

Thanks...!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.