Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

wi fi network help please?

Can anyone advise me on this problem...

I have a WI FI enable laptop that I use at home on our wireless router which I have set up. The router athome is connected to the main desktop pc and all is good.

At my girlfriends house they also have a wireless network and router. This it is a linksys one. They have their router free standing however and the desktop connects to it via a USB linksys wifi adaptor.

My laptop finds their network and I have the pass key however it never actually manages to work correctly. It says conncted but always says limited or no connectivity as the network didnt assign a network key.

I can tell it is not right as the details in the properties for the network are either black or 00.000.000. etc

When I right click the the properties on their desktop which does work it says indos annot configure this wireless network configuration" if you have used another program to set it up then use that. Or words to that effect..

Basically I want to be able to just connect my laptop to their wireless network whilst here.

Any ideas please?

Liam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: wi fi network help please?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: wi fi network help please?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
also

In reply to: wi fi network help please?

it says on my laptop connected but then says "you might not be able to connect to the internet because the network did not assign a network address to the computer" or something very similar.

Collapse -
wi fi network help please?

Collapse -
yes

theres only one pc using the router so surely it has enough IPs to assing.

How do I check my laptop is set to collect IP automatically. Im sure it is as it works on other networks...

Liam

Collapse -
Check the IP, netmask and gateway

In reply to: yes

Check the network, IP, netmask and gateway on the network and make sure they are defined correctly.

Here is the simple ip logical network design help
http://www.home-network-help.com/ip-logical-network.html

Once it's correctly set,then define the IP, netmask and gateway manually on your labtop and join wireless network: http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html

If still not working, then directly use a straight cable connecting to LAN port of router, and see whether it works..We need to know whether the problem is on router or labtop..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.