Peripherals forum

Question

Wi-Fi Mouse ..Is there a keyboard?

I have a Toshiba Laptop that has had broken USB ports since I purchased it (refurb, no returns, screw it).

I actually dropped the bad boy a few days ago and wound up making the little hard drive chirp like a birdie; needless to say, a quick trip to Staples rectified that.

Now, here's the issue/question (if you're still reading):

Due to no USB ports working and, realistically I give up. Is it possible, and what's the best method for connecting a keyboard and mouse if I were to connect to a TV via HDMI.

Is there a Wi-Fi USB hub that my laptop can pair with via WiFi and use USB ports from that device? If so, is this viable?

Or, I know HP has made a WiFi mouse with mediocre ratings; is there a WiFi keyboard?

Thanks folks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Wi-Fi Mouse ..Is there a keyboard?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Wi-Fi Mouse ..Is there a keyboard?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What sort of broken?

In reply to: Wi-Fi Mouse ..Is there a keyboard?

I can solder on new USB ports if the break is physical. If the issue is software (all too often it is) then a boot with a Live Linux (no install, all over the net how) can test the hardware. If the keyboard is broke, I replace that.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can't be good

In reply to: Wi-Fi Mouse ..Is there a keyboard?

Dropping the laptop can't be good, but it offers the idea it maybe time to open the laptop up. there are teardown instructions via Youtube or similar that offer generic advise or related to your model# laptop. Of course, if you're handy then try that route. You already replaced the HD, but that's the simple fix. Why, your USB ports don't work maybe enough to check the innards of the laptop. Then again, as explained by Robert it could very well a s/w issue, since all don't work. replacing the kybd. or checking if its connected, is reason to open the laptop up. You gave no hint to what Toshiba model you have but usually Toshiba info is well supported.

The only other option for a kybd. if applicable is "bluetooth" one again if so ready. I like to call all your problems something of a "catch-22" as one thing has to done in order to proceed but can't because something isn't ready or present, etc..

On a techioe bench, we would install the s/w on a working, Toshiba model# (same one) and then swap HD over. But, I hardly think that's an option but its the work-around we would have, tghus maybe a local shop could do that.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I suck.

In reply to: Can't be good

I suck at explaining things.

Model is: Toshiba Satellite A665-S6086

The keyboard is not broken, apologize for the confusion. I was just looking for a 'wireless option' in which I could connect my laptop to the TV via HDMI cable and sit on the couch and type away with a keyboard/mouse (I don't type with a mouse, but I'd like a mouse, too).

Can't use your typical wireless dongle, due to the lack of USB.

I do notice the chime of a removal/adding of a USB that you normally hear when plugging and unplugging a USB device. The ports do show up in Management, and I do get an unrecognized device; but the problem is, SOMETIMES this happens even when no device is plugged in; which leads me to believe my USB ports have just lost their mind.

There was a point in the past where one of the USB ports did charge my phone and Ps3 remote, but did not recognize them (I/O).... I am assuming this is the mentioned SATA/charge port, but now that's also not working.

Of the 4 ports, I know for sure, that one of them is broken to the point that nothing can be plugged in (the little piece in the middle is bent inwards (which can probably be rectified by opening it up, using a pair of plyers/screwdriver and gently prying it to the correct position).

If it's software related, what ideas do we have? I used the Factory Restore disk with the new HD - so once it's loaded Windows 7, it loaded all 76 drivers (that was a fun wait; roughly 70 restarts). Of course the usual, unplug, remove battery, drain CMOS by holding power key, and wait; of course the install new drivers from Toshiba website ...then what?

Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
TV and Pcs

In reply to: I suck.

I find it a world unto itself, because users want to believe because its a "electronics" it *should* be able to connect, yada, yada. Sometimes that can happen but my experience you have to look at what you got and go from there. I've more than once thought it would be easy or hard and find the opposite true. Each new experience is a lesson for sure. I wish, I could explain better than that but because TV and PC vary on thier own and yet could connect has to be done on a 1-for-1 basis.

As for your laptop, i tend to like the actual match or ports rather than using any bongle or adapter in order to reduce problem or *INTRODUCE* one because it can be difficult at times.

As for USB, the port chiming is indicating its working at least a physical connection. Why, you can't use it maybe open to debate and s/w based problems are common. See if using PCWizard 2013 IDs having USB present or CPUID(CPU-Z) s/w to review the h/w present.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!