TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

WHY WOULD ANYBODY BUY A 1ST GENERATION 1080p HDTV

by BONSPEED / April 8, 2006 7:45 AM PDT

the 1st generation of 1080p hdtv hitting the market is creating a lot of hype. these unit promise higher picture quality, but with their inabilty to "recieve" a 1080p signal must provide it by upconversion. the bandwith reqiurements to broadcast 1080p is so demanding, it will no doubt make 1080p boardcasting a pipe dream. even with the anticipation of hd dvd players (sony, toshiba) being released this year, 1080p material will still be a long way down the road. the main problem is the current HDMI 1.1 technology is unable to carry 1080p. toshiba's hd dvd player is suspected to be only 1080i capable, with the possibilty of being upgraded (via software or hardware) later. sony is hoping to incorporate the new HDMI 1.3 (release date approx. 6/06) connections with their blueray and ps3 systems. the bottom line, with hd dvd players being released without a set format and with HDMI 1.3 technology not ready for release, why would anybody buy a 1080p hdtv that might become obsolete within a year? P.S. looks like yor going to need to go back to work to upgrade/replace to HDMI 1.3 equipment, stew. Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHY WOULD ANYBODY BUY A 1ST GENERATION 1080p HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHY WOULD ANYBODY BUY A 1ST GENERATION 1080p HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Etenity
by Larry Pigeon / April 8, 2006 8:20 AM PDT

That's how long I'll have to wait if I keep waiting for the next best technology. Something better will always be on the horizon. Easier to contemplate eternity if you aready have HD but not so easy for us HD wannabies. So if I can't wait forever and want a 60ish screen size and upconversion to 1080p makes that large screen picture look better and many people seem to be thrilled with their non accepting 1080p brand new almost obsolete hdtvs?? But since you brought it up do you know when the new models will come out?

Collapse -
Eternity!
by Larry Pigeon / April 8, 2006 8:54 AM PDT

That's why I need a 60" sreen. I can't proof read my own typing.

Collapse -
HI SPEEDO
by stewart norrie / April 8, 2006 9:34 AM PDT

Watching Doscovery h.d. in 1080I with my new 72" toshiba is jawdropping.So I figure blue ray should look as good. My question is could 1080P possibly look better than 1080I. Only the future can tell, Also when I bought my monster I bought it because of picture quality, I really didn" care about the set having 1080P pwerformance have a nice weekend stewart

Collapse -
Why?
by carter250 / April 8, 2006 10:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Explain
by Larry Pigeon / April 8, 2006 11:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Why?

Explain perfect. I don't understand perfect.

Collapse -
again, 1080p is just a number game
by masterying01 / April 8, 2006 4:55 PM PDT

and companies have figured out that numbers (specifications) sell products. thats why you see all these $100 1000watts HTIB's out there.

Collapse -
Yes
by Larry Pigeon / April 8, 2006 11:19 PM PDT

You are correct. These companies are in buisness to make a dollar. Our dollars. Cynicism about the numbers is most likely appropriate.I think you guys are making a good point. I don't want to be manipulated either. On the other hand I can't build a tv in my garage. I want to buy a 60ish screen tv in the near future and the decision to buy a less expensive 720p or a possibly better 1080p is a real real one for me. I will continue to listen to what you guys have to say.

Collapse -
Go 1080p LCoS, the difference is beautiful!!
by chaneyfamily / April 10, 2006 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

If it's in your budget, LCoS, or Liquid Crystal on Silicon is what you have to have. This is basically very advanced LCD rear projection technology. Sony and JVC are making these tv's for relatively cheap as compared to what kind of money this technology was comanding a couple years ago. Sony's SXRD is only manufactured in the 1080p resolution at 1920x1080 which really takes advantage of 1080 broadcasts (720p sets do not). Sony also uses this exact same technology in a projector that retails for $10,000. JVC makes two versions of their LCoS, one 720p and one 1080p. Both of these tv's 1080p tv's cannot accept 1080p signals however, you will notice a major difference over your 720p DLP or LCD. The fact is that a 1080p tv contains approx. 3 times as many pixels as a 720p tv. When compairing side by side there is a major difference, especially when utilizing LCoS technology while watching 1080i broadcasts. Basically what I'm saying is there is a major difference between the two formats and there is a distinguishable difference to someone who isn't looking through coke bottle glasses. Go buy a LCoS tv, you'll be awe struck.

Collapse -
SONY LCOS
by Larry Pigeon / April 10, 2006 3:37 AM PDT

The reviews of Sony LCOS owners and statements like yours make me want to tear out and rebuild my entertainment center cabinet to accomodate the inexplicable side mount speakers and spend the big bucks for the 60". It could happen.

Collapse -
Do it...........
by kena10 / April 26, 2006 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: SONY LCOS

The picture is abolutely gorgeous. I should know, I have one Wink

Collapse -
Do it or wait....
by yogibm1 / May 1, 2006 2:26 PM PDT
In reply to: SONY LCOS

Sony has the same type of TV coming out in the winter that doesn't have the side mount speakers...so I heard... and will be 30%thinner. I have the previous model year of the TV that you are talking about and I love it.

Collapse -
Hacksaw
by Larry Pigeon / April 10, 2006 4:18 AM PDT

By the way I was at a high end HT store the other day and a salesperson told me about selling an 60" SXRD to a man who after having it delivered cut the speakers off!

Collapse -
50" SXRD - AWESOME is an understatement!
by vicbrasil / April 29, 2006 12:36 AM PDT

I bought the Sony 50" SXRD for the picture, not for the 1080p. The picture was so much better than other 50". The technology is super bright, clear, and saturated. Makes even the off-the-air regular broadcast better. For anyone that questions try to see Equator from VOOM, maybe a show like Eye over England (Itlay, France) or see the Spice Market in Istanbul. AWESOME is an understatement.

Collapse -
PUTTING THE WAGON IN FRONT OF THE HORSE
by BONSPEED / April 9, 2006 9:43 AM PDT

i dont believe its a coincident that 1080p hdtvs are being introduce the same year as hd dvd players. hdmi cables, like 1080p tvs, have been over hyped despite being considered the standard to come. also, with hdmi 1.3 warming up in the bullpen and causing concern from both hd dvd player contenders, the current wave of 1080p tvs seems very vulnerable to need to be upgraded sooner then later. i dont care to buy 1st generation models because they tend to be pricey and manufactors rarely get right the 1st time out. how well they will work in the real world remains to be seen. manufactors like to use the numbers game to confuse consumers, but not all of it worthless. when was the last time somebody talked about an edtv? its an interesting time to wait and see for those who already have a system in place and maybe just a case of bad timing for newcomers. in the end, nobody knows for certain. personally, im still waiting for sed tvs to hit the market.

Collapse -
I JUST BOUGHT A SONY..............
by Riverledge / April 9, 2006 12:06 PM PDT

CRT (tube) with 1080i reception. As it is a CRT I expect it to last 12 - 15 years. MAYBE, just maybe, 1080p will be a thing of the past.

Perhaps, by then we'll have 3240p or something. I can't stand ComCast's boxes, so opted for the CableCard. FANTASTIC picture.

river.

Collapse -
I'm thinking. . .
by rdhubba / April 29, 2006 3:47 AM PDT

I'm thinking, if this TV was good enough for you. . .hmmm. Tell me specifics--screen size, weight, product number, etc., so I can go to the Sony site and read about it. Also, has CNET (or anyone) reviewed it?

If it dies and you have to cart it back to the store, will you tell us?

Collapse -
WELL IT'S A SONY KD-34XS955...............
by Riverledge / April 29, 2006 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm thinking. . .

IT'S a flat glass 34" TRINITRON/WEGA. Almost identical the the XBR960, short a few bells and whistles, such as split picture. Same weight, size, and soundworks.

See the SonyStyle web site. www.sonystyle.com

Good shopping,

river.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tell me how you decided on this particular one.
by rdhubba / May 1, 2006 2:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
still a beasty CRT
by the_iceman / May 1, 2006 3:59 PM PDT

yes the sony 34XS955 may have a good picture and relitively cheap price. It's still and always will be a Big fat heavy beast. Bye Bye CRT...a flat panel is for me

Collapse -
I know they are heavy .
by gabereyes / May 2, 2006 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: still a beasty CRT

just the other day I picked up my TV and went for a walk, Im getting to old for this crap.

what happened to the good old days, when you can walk around with your TV.

I would look so sexy walking in the park with a new flat panel.

they should make Refrigerators, washers, and dryer flat to so you can carry them around too.

the point is most people dont move their TVs every day, week, or years.
So if your looking for a 26 to 34 inch TV and you buy a LCD tv your not getting a better picture, but you might look cool to some people, but not everyone.

The only reason you should buy a flat panel is to save space, not picture quality some thing just work better in bigger sizes.

Collapse -
I agree
by bent / May 3, 2006 5:09 AM PDT

I'd pick your CRT over any comparably-sized flat panel. If you have the room, who cares if it has a bigger footprint? Too many people today going style over substance these days...

ben

Collapse -
SORRY, I'M STICK IN THE MUD; BUT I'D RATHER WATCH MY.....
by Riverledge / May 3, 2006 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree

NEW SONY 34'' set than take it for a walk! This is not moving as long as I live here. Weighs about 195 pounds; it's staying put.

Right now, I'm watching the RED SOX on their cable network (NESN) in HD 16:9, 1080i. Frankly, it's more than I had ever hoped for; downside SOX are losing at the moment.

1080p........get over it folks; not coming to a city or town near you for a while. (a lifetime, or perhaps the Red Sox next World Series win.)

Best viewing to all,

river.

Collapse -
WHY WOULD ANYBODY BUY A 1ST GENERATION 1080p
by jcrobso / April 9, 2006 1:32 PM PDT

Beacuse they are for sale and are being told that this is the "best, the real HDTV" when it is only a frame buffer to deinterlace the the 1080i signal.
ANY interlaced video can be turned into progressive by the use of a frame buffer!!!!! This is not a big deal!!!! Has been done many years ago!!! A 720p set dose this ALL the time.
Yes HDMI 1.2 came out last year in June. this is going like USB did 1.1(not very good) 1.2( much better)and finaly USB 2.0.
In a post about 10 months ago I wrote that HDMI still had a ways to go.
This weekend I took the time to play my 1080p WMV-HD DVD.
This was a bonus when I bought the I-Max DVD Coral Reef Adventure.
I Took a PC into the living room and hooked it up to my RP-CRT HDTV via DVI. After it booted up I put he HD-DVD in the player and it started. I selected the video setup menue it analised my PC and display(HDTV) and said that I was good for 1080p, I also watched it a 720p latter.
The picture was fanstic. It looked like the Demos at the big box store where the are showing the video from a HD.
I tried to do a comparision by switching to the PBS station and watching thier 1080i broadcast.
The swirch the DVD playback to the 720p setting and compaired it to PBS.
The WMV HD DVD did look better but with out an good A-B comparsion with two identical HDTV's it was still subjective. As for the 720p vrs 1080p picture??? Yes the 1080p had a little more detail,,But both were excellent. I still feel that the quality of the source material is far more important than if it is 720p,1080i or 1080p. John

Collapse -
I would buy the sony SXRD not because of 1080p but Picture
by gabereyes / April 9, 2006 1:42 PM PDT

the Sony SXRD 50 and 60 inch is the best rear projo Ive seen sence, pioneer made the elite model crt projo's, I dont care if it can do 1080p or not it still has the best color, gray scale, and overscan, out of the box in the pro picture setting.
I think 1080P is just a way to get people to buy better TV's and thats what they are.

Collapse -
FOOLS LIKE ME

Just like I bought one of the first Pioneer Lazer Disk players for $1200 and then spend $60.00 for a stupid movie, Actually I still have it along with about 70 movies ./ Anyway since it was so old I thought it would be a collectors item and worth tons of money , so I checked e-bay and found thewy were just about giving them away ha ha , Like rite now I fugure if you buy a new h.d. d.v.d. player then buy a hole bunch of movies then a year later it will be a musiem piece Iam so stupid I almost bought a new hi-def vhs player but found there were about 8 movies to choose from So if it werent for fools like me that spend a thousand for new technology then you folks wouldn"t be able to buy it for half the price a year later harda ha ha stewart

Collapse -
Yeah, I agree....
by kena10 / April 26, 2006 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: FOOLS LIKE ME

Only fools like you.......LOL

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?