PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Why won't it work? I just want to Make some CD's!!!

I recently boutgh a new computer (Insignia D300a) and it already has a Sony CD-RW CRX 230E. I wanted to install another one, only this one is a Sony CD-RW CRX 320E. Now everything installed well, and my computer see add-on. The only problem is that when I go to burn a cd, it tell me to enter a dics in the drive. Well, there is already one in there. The disc that is in the second drive is a Sony product.
The drive that I added read no dics at all. Not DVD, CD-Rom or just plan CD's. I do have the second drive as a slave drive. I dont know if maybe the one I purched should be the master?

Im runnin with..........Sony CD-RW CRX 230E
Windows XP-SP 2 (add-on) Sony CD-RW CRX 320E
Insignia D300a 2.8G
Intel P4
60GB HD
2x512mb
Sound Blaster 24Bit Advance HD

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why won't it work? I just want to Make some CD's!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why won't it work? I just want to Make some CD's!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
They tell you

In reply to: Why won't it work? I just want to Make some CD's!!!

They tell you that the Burner should be the master and the CD rom or DVD rom should be the slave

Collapse -
Ok, tried that.

In reply to: They tell you

Okay I tried that and nothin seems to have happend, except I now have two new drives (J&K). The add-on is now the master and the stock is the slave. The add-on doesnt read any type of disc. I have yet to have it read a disc, so I'm thinkin that it might be the add-on it self. If so that sucks cause I've had it for awhile, and dont know where the receipt is. Bummer!!!

Collapse -
Why won't it work?

Collapse -
Would that cause the drive not to read?

In reply to: Why won't it work?

I really have not got to the point where I am able to acttualy start with burnin. I been using the Windows Media Player. And when I installed the new drive, it came with this B's Recorder Gold 5. Both seem to tell me that I need to insert a disc. I have yet to have the add-on read any type of disc. And that sucks because I have had the drive since before I got this new computer. Did the same there, would not read any type of disc. Dont know where the receipt is at. Bummer man!!!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 1 IDE channel, 1 burner

Collapse -
????

In reply to: (NT) 1 IDE channel, 1 burner

What excatly does that mean? I looked on the device manager and it is telling me both of the drives are working properly. Below it there is something about IDE controllers. It says "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" If this is what you are talking about, then how might I change it. Also as I look on the device manager with the CD-ROMS. On the orignal drive in says somthing about "Locations" 1(1). On the other drive (the one I want to burn off of) its says 0(0).

Collapse -
REMOVE that second drive and...

any software you installed that came with it.

Re-install the burning software that came with the original CD Drive.

Now try to read a CD and Then try to burn a cd.

If that works (and since both are Sony drives) check the Sony site to see if the OEM software will work with any drive BESIDES the one it came with. Often the software is tied to ONE model and will not work with any other. Adding the second incompatible drive and its own burning software only confounds the issue.

If the above is true go here http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ and download the free burner software (check drive compatibility but since it works with most Sony drives I would go ahead and give it a try even if not listed). Re-install the additional drive BUT NOT THE SOFTWARE THAT CAME WITH IT! Now install the CDBurnerXP software and see if it now acts as a burner should (personally I would uninstall the existing original software before installing this but it .

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.