Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Why Use FireWire?

I want to put alot of the videos I record on my miniDV camcorder (Sony HC-42) onto my computer hard drive for editing and storing. You can use both USB and FireWire. The only way that I know how to import videos onto my computer is to use video capturing software or video editing software that has video capture. When you capture, you just play the video at normal speed. What are the advantages of using FireWire if you can only import video at playback speed? Is there a faster way to import video cause this way can take forever? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why Use FireWire?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why Use FireWire?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at what quality you get from USB or Firewire.

In reply to: Why Use FireWire?

Since both capture at 1X, I'd want the quality. You may not.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I didn't realize there was that big of a differnce.

In reply to: Look at what quality you get from USB or Firewire.

Collapse -
Is there much of a difference

In reply to: Why Use FireWire?

in speed or quality between 4 pin to 4 pin and 4 pin to 6 pin? If you had both options which would you use, or does it even matter?

Collapse -
Since the other 2 pins are power, how could that affect...

In reply to: Is there much of a difference

Speed?

Google.com finds what those pins provide so you can find out what they do.

Bob

Collapse -
Useless Forum?

In reply to: Since the other 2 pins are power, how could that affect...

Considering how much information you can gather from search engines, discussion forums are worthless for asking questions. Since I couldn't really find an answer to my question from searching before, I figured asking here would be faster than reading through many articles, especially since this was already an ongoing discussion about firewire. I guess not.

Collapse -
That's the fish or fishing lesson discussion.

In reply to: Useless Forum?

It's been discussed before whether just answers should be handed out or to try to help people use today's great tools.

What you may also want to consider is that you are also feeling the effects of retailers cutting back on educated sales staff.

Here we discuss, but if you think this is tech support, it's not.

Bob

Collapse -
I'll keep that in mind

In reply to: That's the fish or fishing lesson discussion.

Next time I'll try not to ask tech support questions. I didn't know there was a significant difference in quality between firewire and usb video capture. I'll be sure to use firewire over usb. Thanks for the info. I thought it was strange when I first tried capturing video with the camcorder's included software. I hooked it up with usb and it said it'll take like 5 hours. Then I hooked it up with firewire and it said like 27 hours. Always thought firewire would be faster but I don't understand the long times anyways. Something wasn't right I guess since it was only an hour long tape. Now I just use Premiere and get 1x capture. I guess that's as fast as it gets.

Collapse -
Time at 1X. Yes, we all wish that was better. Get a demo of

In reply to: I'll keep that in mind

Go try one of those HARD DISK CAMCORDERS. In that case you may get "files" that you can transfer at USB 2.0 speeds. However, the quality is still under discussion. This is why you want a demo file from said camcorder.

The transfer rate of 1X on firewire is caused mostly by limits on many fronts when that system arrived. With most machines now more capable, the crystal ball does seem clearer that something new may arrive but new is always costly.

-> Moreover with HD camcorders, the higher amounts of data pushes the possible speed back to 1X.

The old adage of speed, quality, price, "Pick 2" comes to mind.

Bob

Collapse -
The "Pros" only do it at 1X

In reply to: Time at 1X. Yes, we all wish that was better. Get a demo of

Bob,

You are correct about picking between "speed, quality and price" when choosing a method to import our home video footage. I work in the TV biz and when we need video footage digitized into a Final Cut Pro bay, an Avid Adrenaline / Avid Symphony / Avid Media Composer bay, or a Discreet Fire / Flame bay (keeping in mind these bays cost between $50,000 and $500,000), the footage is imported in realtime. This follows your "pick speed, quality, price" options where we choose best quality over speed and cost. If we "home videographers" want the "best" quality there is not current option other than digitizing at 1X. Using a compressed MPEG format upfront (via USB) is NOT an option for those of us who want to maintain the best quality. This currently means we must use Firewire. USB, which covers cameras that use hard-drives, memory cards, DVDs and mini-DVDs, is a compromise at the moment.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply.

In reply to: The "Pros" only do it at 1X

May all your bits arrive in one piece.

Bob

Collapse -
Understatment!!!

In reply to: The "Pros" only do it at 1X

"USB, which covers cameras that use hard-drives, memory cards, DVDs and mini-DVDs, is a compromise at the moment."
If you take a MiniDV/60min tape which holds about 13gb and will record for 60min and compare it to a DVD camera that uses a min DVD that holds about 2.5gb and record for 60min. The quality difference is like comparing regular VHS to DVD.
The mini DVD may look OK when played back on analog NTSC TV, but may not look good on HDTV. John

Collapse -
camcorder's included software.

In reply to: I'll keep that in mind

The sad thing is that the software that comes with most cameras is junk. Even when I had a 450mhz processor capture over fireiwre was 1x or real time. Rendering the video after editing could take over night. But capture was allwise 1x. John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.