Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

why two My Documents folders?

by kameha1 / July 21, 2007 7:07 AM PDT

Hi
I noticed having 2 identical folders for My Documents, the first shows on Window Explorer on top of My Computer, then when I expand My Computer
following Local Disc, next is Control Panel, then Shared Documents and finally David's Documents, this is identical to the first folder My Documents.
Until now I did not think about but as the files continue to grow, when I run my backup prgm am increasing its size by 5GB.
Do I need to keep this second folder?,if deleted creates problems?
appreciate your comments/ideas
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why two My Documents folders?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why two My Documents folders?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are seeing "friendly" names.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2007 7:12 AM PDT

There is only one for each user. Explorer is NOT a file browser and creates a view that is not a view for the file system.

To get a clear picture use a REAL file browser like GYULA'S NAVIGATOR.

Bob

Collapse -
That's just the same folder shown twice ...
by Kees Bakker / July 21, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

for your convenience. Anyway, it's what Microsoft thinks is convenient.

So face the reality: you've got 5 Gb in your My Documents. Time to find out where exactly? Right-click properties on a folder gives the total amount of space occupied, including subfolders. Or download a free utility like i.disk or clduw or treesize (use google to find them) to see it all on one screen.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
well
by AmericanTexan9999 / July 21, 2007 7:14 AM PDT

shared documents is shared files for a network

your my documents stores your files

unless you have a network with a need for the shared documents

you cant delete the shared documents but

you can move the files to your my documents

Collapse -
O no.
by Kees Bakker / July 21, 2007 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: well

Shared documents are shared between users on the same computer. It has nothing to do with using a network.

So my wife and I share our common Outlook Express mailboxes (which is: all mailboxes) in a subfolder of Shared Documents.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows XP: why two My Documents folders?
by kameha1 / July 21, 2007 8:34 AM PDT
In reply to: O no.

Thank you all for your comments, I guess was not clear on my question, does anybody know 1)why this duplicate folder is created (I do not recall choosing that option, 2)does it serve any purpose, 3)can it be deleted without problems.
thanks again
David

Collapse -
Robert and Kees both answered you but ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 21, 2007 9:40 AM PDT

you didn't seem to grasp that.

Q 1)why this duplicate folder is created (I do not recall choosing that option,
A This is how Microsoft DESIGNED windows Explorer interface to show things. In short it is a design feature.

Q 2)does it serve any purpose,
A Yes, it allows easier access directly to the directory without expanding the "My Computer" listing. Similar to how things are presented in Windows Explorer for a network.

Q 3)can it be deleted without problems.
A NO. It is a design feature (see Q 1) )

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?