Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Why the scare on feeding you pet?

by taboma / March 21, 2007 2:37 PM PDT

It seems there are all kinds of recalls for moist dog and cat food that seems to be contaminated from an extender.
What is wrong with feeding your pets human food? REAL FOOD!?

Purchase your cat real tuna fish at 3 for $1 at the supermarket.
Why not purchase a fish head for your feline friend? Cheaper than store-bought cat food that is mixed with sawdust.
What are you all afraid of? Your cat will hate that dried crud you feed them now?
Go to a bait shop and buy your cat a whole mackeral for 59

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why the scare on feeding you pet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why the scare on feeding you pet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You just don't understand a pets needs
by Steven Haninger / March 21, 2007 9:15 PM PDT

They have been brainwashed by Madison Avenue into believing that spending money is the only proper say to show love. Humans succumbed to this notion so long ago that few remember when it was otherwise.

Now, if that explanation doesn't work, think of how many people will be forced to go on the dole if cat owners buy their food at bait shops. Of course, this would probably cause more bait shops to open and they would need to compete...and they'd turn to Madison Ave. for assistance. The next thing you know, only "upscale" bait would be available and fisherman wouldn't be able to afford to buy it.

We could shock our entire economy trying to care for Tabby and Fido's perception of their owners. Who wants a neurotic or emotionally unstable pet?

It's strange that common sense thinking of yesterday is today's radical approach. Happy

Collapse -
Understanding a pet's needs
by taboma / March 22, 2007 1:53 PM PDT

Steven, Maybe Tabby and Fido will most likely have to see a shrink!
The poor animals will be in such trauma waiting to see their Doctor that they will be thinking " I hope I do not mess up this Shrink's new oriental rug!"
I have a neighbor that had a new frisky 6 mo. old dog. The dog bit my hand while petting it and the dog drew blood with it?s sharp teeth. I showed the dog owners my bleeding hand and told them they had better teach their dog good manners.
You guessed it?next week their dog was in obedience school. That dog is just wonderful now and never wants dominance and never bites.

I brought over to the dog?s owner a huge ham bone that I almost ate on the way over. The neighbor told me that his dog never eats that sort of food. We have him on a special food diet.
Holly crap, imagine that!? Special diet? I wonder if that dog knows he is on a special diet?
Well, the pet owners are nice people and the dog is really healthy.
Guess that is what counts nowadays.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Well, cats can be a little different.
by John Robie / March 21, 2007 10:44 PM PDT

Have had many, many different dogs in the past and they will all eat and desire table scraps. We currently have only 3 cats and they will not eat most table scraps, and the Vet recommends dry cat food which our cats eat and love. The other day I was cleaning (gutting & some fillet) fish that was given to me and the cats would sniff and take an occasional lick, but would not eat any part of it. Wife says they also do not like canned tuna or other canned fish. They are satisfied with dry cat food and even will show some dislike for canned wet cat food. Wife occasionally gives them some kind of special dry "treats" (like a cat candy) which they really like. Guess they are conditioned to what they were raised on as I have seen cats on fishing boats that eat fish and on board mainly to catch/eat mice/rats.

Our cats spend most of the daytime outside chasing butterflies which they sometimes eat, and lizards which they sometimes eat the tail. They cannot catch the squirrels or birds which are constantly stalked.
They spend indoors at night, so can't get the birds on roost, being excellent tree climbers.

Collapse -
Had a hunter once - mother of one of my cats now
by Diana Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 11:04 PM PDT

In the spring I would clean out the wings and tails from behind the bushes. She once tried to bring a still live bird into the house for her kittens. Explain to her that was a no-no.

Diana

Collapse -
Brought up on dried cat food?
by taboma / March 22, 2007 2:28 PM PDT

JR, Guess you wife set your cat's eating habit and pattern?dried food at a young age. Same with people it seems.
Nothing wrong with it. I just hate the crunching sound of dried food to eat. Would you eat that stuff!? Yuck! I have tried dog biscuits on a bar room bet. Not bad at all. The beer tasted better. :

Collapse -
I have a good reason, Kevin
by Angeline Booher / March 22, 2007 12:15 AM PDT

My dog can't tolerate "people food". Makes him sick.

Also, dogs grow, mature, and age faster than humans, and their nutritional needs are different.

There's no doubt that some can do quite well on people food. years ago a neighbor's dachshund did just that. He got plates of what his owners were having. Not a spot of dog food in the house, But he became grossly overweight. Thus the obesity led to medical problems.

Nowadays people often get dogs of the "working class" as pets. These dogs no longer "work", so are prone to obesity.

When I was a kid, the only dog food I remember in the stores was canned KennelRation.

Like their ancestors, dogs are carnivores. However, in eating the stomach of their prey, they ate grains and plants.

(BTW, I know that Purina makes Monkey Chow, which shows that animal needs differ.)

I feed my dog Purina One (dry). Dry food aids in chewing exercise and teeth cleaning.

A few years ago Consumer Reports did a study on dog foods. Those expensive ones did not always measure up.

Now, giving dogs scraps is OK and fun. But, IMO, they need a dog food as their primary food for proper nutrition. Like people, they are living longer now because of them.

I admit I once tried cooking up a food for my huskies. Kidneys, oats, and I forget what else. However, they gained weight and did not thrive as well, so I returned to the dry dog food,

There are "natural" manufactured foods available. They sound good, except for the vegetarian ones, IMO. (Back to the dogs being carnivores bit.)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Pets needs differ with age?
by taboma / March 22, 2007 2:57 PM PDT

Angeline, When I was younger, I could eat anything and always wanted more. Being in sports always made me hungry.

Times have changed now that I am older and I still have a 31 inch waist. I watch my food intake and my hunger has changed also because I am not as active in sports.

Having a dog that is a year old is one thing. Wonder why most people still feed their pets the same way when the dog is ten years old?
When a cat weighs in at 24 pounds, maybe the pet owners should wonder why they are also overweight?
What are they doing to their pet and to themselves!?

-Kevin

Collapse -
I may have killed my Teddy
by TONI H / March 22, 2007 12:42 AM PDT

completely out of kindness trying to make it easier for those 16 yr old teeth to chew her dry dog food........one of the brands listed is Ol' Roy canned dogfood which my little local store here in the mountain keeps on their shelves (gone now since I called them) and other than Alpo canned that was purchased in 'bulk' at Wal-Mart occassionally, I would run to that local store when I ran out.

I cannot tell you how sick I am thinking about how my love for her hurried her along when all I wanted to do was make it easier for her to eat and continue growing old with me.

The not knowing if it was her age that finally caught up with her or my love instead is the worst feeling I've ever had in my life. And I'll never know...........I'll just have to figure out how to live with the guilt that I may have been responsible.

TONI

Collapse -
A couple of thoughts.
by Angeline Booher / March 22, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

If your local "little" store is like those I have known, thhe owner probably bought several cases of Ol'Roy, and just restocked the shelves as needed. So my guess is that what they had in stock was manufactured long before.

The 10 deaths appear to have been fairly recent. I sereiously doubt that Teddy ever ate a contaminated can.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
At 17 years it's most likely a "natural" death.
by drpruner / March 22, 2007 5:26 AM PDT

And at that age even a small system shock could have done it: Not just bad dog food, but an event you wouldn't have known about, like noise stress, eating an insect around the house ...

Please don't worry about it any more.

Collapse -
This is so sad Toni
by Sasha Tee / March 22, 2007 7:20 AM PDT

but remember that Teddy is running with joy in a place free of pain and that she left this world knowing how much you loved her.

Collapse -
Teddy?
by taboma / March 22, 2007 3:15 PM PDT

Toni, Your Teddy was sixteen years old. That would be equivalent to 112 years old. Just be thankful you had a friend for so many years.
It was not the problem of feeding you dog moist dog food.

Perhaps it was just old age. :

Collapse -
Feeding my pet
by mike2000sg / March 22, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

It seems there are all kinds of recalls for moist dog and cat food that seems to be contaminated from an extender.
What is wrong with feeding your pets human food? REAL FOOD!?

For most pets I don't think there is anything wrong feeding them human food. Personally I found it more convenience to feed my dog pet food. It's out of sheer laziness. I don't have to remember packeting something for him when we dined out or attending social functions. In term of cost I don't think there is much difference.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.