PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Why the power supply better be good

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why the power supply better be good
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why the power supply better be good
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nice ty!

In reply to: Why the power supply better be good

Hey,

Thank you very much for the links!!!

The second link verified my system will be able to use the graphics card (6600gt) I want to use with the stock psu in the T6212 (300Watt). If it's worth a (censored). It is close though at 289watts lol. But that site said most psu use is lower than their estimates.

I will let you know next week if it works or not lol.

Thanks Again,

SeaninWa

Collapse -
A good start

In reply to: Nice ty!

Here's a "rule of thumb" I use, though its not 100%, just an estimate idea. Whatever the wattage value of a p/s unit, take it as 75% of the rated value. That way, when you appoach the upper limits of the p/s, it can handle within reason those times it reaches the rated value. Also, those rated wattage values are only good for a short time, not intended to be used constantly, though a heavy workout it is expected to survive. Thus, get a higher rated wattage value p/s in order to grow and remain within working tolerances w/o approaching the high end too often. So, a 300W rating and calulation value of the system is expected to be 260W, is pushing the p/s, thus its better to have a 350W unit and 400W is better. In this forum and others its been noted p/s do degrade and tend to slide into lower wattage capitbility or simply peter out due from age, to failure or prolonged heat distress. One reason, I mention, "quality counts". Well, good luck -----Willy

Collapse -
PCPower&Cooling talks p/s myths

In reply to: A good start

Collapse -
Thanks!

Thanks for the great links, Willy!

Wink JDM

Collapse -
Great Willie, you

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks, bookmarked!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!