Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Why The Complaints?

by terryparker / February 15, 2007 9:03 AM PST

I have been using Windows Vista (Retail Version) for 3 months now (I am a TechNet Subscriber) and I have not had a single problem. Take into account i am a very heavy user and I also do programming.
I have a HP Pavilion dv9000t. When I got Vista I did a clean install. once I started every single thing just worked. The HP QuickLaunch Buttons worked, my graphics card (nVIDIA GeForce Go 7600) just worked, I had aero instantly. My WiFi worked instantly, so did my sound, mouse pad, my FN keys (for the brightness etc). The only thing I had to get a driver for was for Lightscribe. I have not had program compatibility issues (but that might just be the programs I use). I have not had a single BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death for the newbies). My system has not crashed once, everything just worked without a problem.
So I recommend that instead of people upgrading thier current OS, just backup data and do a clean install.
I think that upgrading is what is causing all the problems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why The Complaints?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why The Complaints?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
complaints!
by ramarc / February 15, 2007 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: Why The Complaints?

i loaded vista ultimate retail (from msdn) and dumped it after 1 week. i'm a developer and i use my main pc for work and play. vista's not good for either.

visual studio 2005 and sql server 2005 both have numerous issues and need beta patches to run under vista. corel paintshop pro forces aero off. nero 6 and diskeeper are incompatible and require upgrades. i've had outlook 2003 and other apps just disappear (they don't crash, i don't close them, they just disappear). i had numerous other apps go 'white' and stop working. even readyboost stopped working once. when checking for solutions, none are found.

i've also run into "pop-under" problems where the dialog box winds up behind the app. i even captured a screenshot where task manager drew the process listing on top of its tabs so the view couldn't be changed.

google desktop completely wigged out. ie7's protected mode won't let me download anything and gives the bogus error that the site was not found. my photosmart printer has no driver; my canon scanner is a paperweight. nvidia has no whql approved drivers.

is this because of my pc? i don't think so. its a pentium-d 945 (dual 3.4ghz) with 2gb, intel d945gnt mobo, and dual sata drives in matrix raid. my pc has an "experience index" score of 5.0 out of 5.9.

Collapse -
Sorry
by terryparker / February 15, 2007 10:27 AM PST
In reply to: complaints!

I use VB 2005 and SQL 2005 and I downloaded the patches and all works perfectly. I also use Nero 7 and it works perfectly. I also use ReadyBoost and have yet to have a problem (I use a 2GB MicroSD Ultra II). I wouldn't know about Outlook 2003 as I use Office Ultimate 2007, I love it and have yet to have any problems.
I have a system rating of 4.7 out of 5.9 on a laptop.

Collapse -
re: Sorry
by ramarc / February 16, 2007 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

vs2005 and sql server2005 both need beta patches to run under vista. its recommended to run vs2005 as administrator. as an administrator, vs2005 has 48 known issues: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa964140.aspx. when run with normal privileges, the list grows by 27: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa972193.aspx.

as i said, nero *6* is completely incompatible so the upgrade to 7 is required. same with diskeeper which is especially important since vista's defragger is big step backwards. nvidia's drivers are still subpar performance-wise (they just released a beta on the 13th).

vista's problems aren't imaginary. be grateful that you're blissfully unaware.

Collapse -
Just out of curiousity...
by steve749 / February 15, 2007 11:30 AM PST

How old is that laptop? I suspect some people may have issues with other hardware which while I'm glad you didn't experience this, I don't think you have enough different configurations to be able to claim that it'll work for all, right?

For example, would you want to claim that my dv4000 could be upgraded to Vista with a clean install and be problem free? I don't think so, but that's my take. Would aero run on my X700 card? How well does the battery life work under Vista compared to XP if one uses the aero interface? Also, how many games do you have installed on your computer? I know I have more than a few on mine that I'm not sure I want to try to back up and then restore under Vista.

Just a few things to ponder,
JB

Collapse -
True
by terryparker / February 15, 2007 11:35 AM PST

I have done this on 4 laptops and all worked. a HP Pavilion, Acer TravelMate, Asus, and MacBook.
I also have a few games, like FSX, SWAT 4, Call Of Duty 2, Need For Speed Carbon, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and a few more.
What I did was to locate my saved games and configuration files and backed thos up, wasn't more than I think 150MB in total. Once i installed Vista I simply copied them back into the correct folders and all worked perfect again.

Collapse -
Forgot To Mention
by terryparker / February 15, 2007 11:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Why The Complaints?
by agm4 / February 16, 2007 2:37 AM PST

1) A "programmer" who is having easy-to-fix problems with out-of-date software, yet fails to understand that Vista has a new driver model, probably needs to get a little more knowledge before he tries to program for Vista.
2) Of course you had "problems" with Nero 6 on Vista. It is NOT compatible with Vista, and Nero has released a Vista-compatible version of its premier software product well over 3 months ago. Why did you keep trying to make it fit where it won't?
3) You are correct about Upgrading versus Clean installs. Microsoft upgrades have ALWAYS been problematic, for a simple reason: OEMS fail to be ready with updates for their hardware drivers and software by the time of a new OS release. This, of course, is not Microsoft's fault. They always give the OEMS plenty of lead-time to develop newer drivers and software for a new OS release.

Donald L McDaniel

Collapse -
Why so confusing?
by Major Pain51 / February 16, 2007 4:50 AM PST

I'm a PC noob (is that right a new bee?). I've been waiting to buy a new PC for many months now as everyone (almost)was saying wait for Vista, wait for Direct x10 and the GPU's that will run 10 and still run 9. Well I'm still in a holding pattern as it seems now my main reason for a new PC is in a nose dive. Old games not compatable with new OS and GPU designed for new OS. Games running slower than with x9 cards? Man somebody out there doesn't have thier ducks in a row. A new PC that runs Vista Ultimate and works with x10 is about $2,500 starting price! As they say "nicly equiped" $3K and up and that's for non-name brand machines. Mention the big boys names and the price doubles and triples in a flash. This is ubsurd! By now, with all the knowledge out there, PCs costing well less than $1K with a big monitor, should be able to do almost anything. Think I'm off, well how come a Playstation costing less than $500 can do things that asked of a PC would cost 5 TIMES more?
Thanks to all this non-combatablity I'm back in a holding pattern. I can imagine how PO'ed people are that just drooped $4-5 on new Vista/x10 machines are, when they can't get it to work!

Collapse -
No Complaints...?
by Papa Echo / February 16, 2007 7:40 AM PST

Congratulations for being trouble free, but which edition of retail Vista are you refering to - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate.....?

Collapse -
Two
by terryparker / February 17, 2007 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: No Complaints...?

You are right, this might not apply to all versions. I use Home Premium and Ultimate.

Collapse -
Windows Vista
by luciouscaramel23 / February 16, 2007 11:19 AM PST

I was wondering did anyone know of a wireless data connection card that is compatible with Windows Vista that will allow me to connect to the internet. I have wireless capabilities and can get the internet when I am in a "hotspot" but did not want to rely on that. I want my own internet connection. NO HOME PHONE. I currently have a tmobile wireless data card but it is not compatible with Windows Vista since it is so new. They had to manually put info in so that I could get internet service. ITS DIAL UP. I have nothing against dial up but that not what I am paying for. Wireless card is supposed to be GPRS. I am not gonna pay 49.99 for dial up connection when its supposed to be GPRS, wireless, and fast.

Collapse -
Vista Problem free?
by casawaikiki / February 18, 2007 1:06 PM PST

just because you didn't have problems with your Vista Installation, that doesn't mean it's problem free. Many people are having problems, some big, some little. It's REAL.

I has a mess when I did an upgrade and not a clean install. I did the clean install after wasting a half a day trying to get the upgrade to work without errors all over the place.

After the clean install, no errors, but still problems with compatibility with older programs.. some of my favorites! Sad And I paid a total of $300 for 3 Vista Ultimate installation keys.

So Vista has problems. After using mine for a week, I'm not excited and never experienced the WOW. Yes, it's cutier than XP. But it's certainly not the WOW Microsoft advertised.

Just so you know, I've owned 9 computers in my life starting back to Win95. So I know just enough about computers to break them... and I can tell you with certainty, Vista is NOT break proof Happy I've done it successfully.

I've noticed my internet browsing is slower when downloading sites, and I'm not sure what it is related to, but time will tell.

Collapse -
No complaints
by Jamesnet / February 23, 2007 8:03 AM PST

I am a tech guy, while I guarantee that you will have problems if you have older hardware, insufficient hardware, or poorly implemented oem. If you read around and do some checking you can have a good experience.. I have steered some away and some tward it.
Like buying a vista laptop with 512 megs of ram, it will be slow.

I am running vista ultimate on my dell 9300 (One year old) it is a pentium M 1.6 2gb ram 256mb nvidia. THe laptop performs great, I can even run the dreamscene video desktop all the time and it doesn't flinch. Battery life, well with all the stuff in my laptop on xp it lasted about 45 minutes, on vista it is about the same, however if I put it on power saver it will last for 2.5 hours. I had no issues on this laptop with drivers software my fav feature on laptop is the mobility center with everything you need for presentations all in one place. Also as a fun test I used movie maker to slap a video together with pictures transitions and export it to 1080p HD WMV in 10 minutes and assigned it as my desktop and my desktop played the hd video without stuttering.

I have a homebrew pentium d 2.8 that has 1gb ram, I upped the video card to 256mb and put a 4gb 200X usb flash drive on readyboost and the computer is awesome. (Vista business) It is constantly using the usb and it is caching alot to the usb drive. (Don't buy a cheap usb drive get a fast one! it was only 60$)

I love the people who bash new software, I buy it because I have to learn it before everyone, I used all the betas and I like it. I believe they will release some patches and it will be great. If you want a mac buy a mac! just remember, they have to make their software work on 10 models of computers.. microsoft has to make it work on millions of configurations.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!