HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why Symantec when.......

by hawker505 / October 26, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

Hi all..i bought a new pc intel's mother board (D101GGC) with intels dual core processor and 80GB hdd and 512Mb ram I bought it with Windows Xp installed and symantec antivirus 2006 but norton cudn't catch this virus called 'windows2k5' which i found suspicios in the task manager. i uninstalled it and used NOD32 which has not put me down. It a lot of such trojens and spywares.....

Why do ppl recommend sysmantec wen it can't do wat its suppose to do? It even takes valuable resources....

Latter i had re-install the OS to clear that window2k5 virus. Now all fine.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why Symantec when.......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why Symantec when.......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's the truth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2006 7:33 AM PDT

No one antivirus catches them all. A few try to find the one true or best only to get nailed by a new virus. Can you tell us how you think that virus got on your machine?

Here's my thought. Pick one antivirus and don't do dumb things like download CRACKS and pirated goods. Then scan with other tools like HOUSECALL, EWIDO and ROOTKIT REVEALER from time to time.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by hawker505 / October 26, 2006 6:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's the truth.

thank u Bob, tat was some valuable info, yea i often go to those crack sites.....HOUSECALL, EWIDO and ROOTKIT REVEALER i'll check these scanners out......

Thanks again Bob

Collapse -
Money & Marketing
by jackson dougless / October 26, 2006 8:21 AM PDT

The reason you're looking for is the same reason people continue to use Windows, despite the many many issues with both. How many times has Microsoft claimed that the next version of Windows or Office will fix everything wrong with the previous version? How many times has the end result been anything even remotely resembling the claims? So why do people keep believing these claims when Microsoft trots them out every time it's about to release a new version of Windows or Office?

In the case of Symantec, and even McAfee, they also pay companies like Dell and HP a lot of money to bundle limited time demo versions of their products. Since it's already there, people tend to just keep using it, rather than install something else. And according to a number of recent reports, McAfee has stooped to making it all but impossible to get rid of it's programs from new Dell systems.

So, like almost everything else in this world... It all comes down to money. Magazines and websites will recommend a program in hopes of attracting advertising money. System builders install it because they were paid to bundle it. The product producers do what they do in hopes of driving up the sales figures, and making more money for the company.

Collapse -
yea .....
by hawker505 / October 26, 2006 6:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Money & Marketing

U have a point jackson dougless, i shud have thought so....well...thanks to u

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.