TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Why spend $2000 or more?

by N.T.Gray / May 27, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

HDTV is still in its very early days. Lots of makers, lots of models, lots of choices. And high prices. Just like computers, VHS recorders, and CD players in their early days.

So, I could wait five or ten years for a $2500 TV to settle down to around $500. But I don't feel like waiting that long. So, can anybody give me some good reasons to shell out, oh, $1800 or $2200 for a 42" HDTV when there are some available for under $1000? If the cheap set's picture quality is identical to the expensive ones around it (some aren't, but some are), and if sound quality doesn't matter because it's going to be run through the home stereo system anyway, the only advantage I can see would be that higher quality might equal a longer life. Yeah, if I shell out a thousand clams for one of these toys, I want it to last for ten years or more. (All my older ones did; why shouldn't the new one?) Can somebody with some technical knowledge tell me where the price line is between reasonable quality and cheap trash? And what about brand names? Is it worth the price premium to get a known name instead of a no-name? Any junk makers out there that are going to be out of the market in a year or two?

Just wondering.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why spend $2000 or more?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why spend $2000 or more?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / May 27, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

Sound like your talking your self out of getting a HDTV. Big screens (50"+) will always cost some chunk of change. You can get a panasonic plasma that will last you 15-20 years for around $1300.
You can get real nice 60"+ RP HD tv with a great PQ for around $2000-2500 now days, lamps cost about $250 & last 2-3 years.

Yes some of the cheap brand tvs' have reliability issues.

Flat planel tv's are just getting start, LCD & Plasma are filler tv's for now, you got lasser RP, OLED, SED & FED tv's in the works. It took 40-50 years for CRT tv's to get where there at now.

Collapse -
Given that HD is still developing & your question seems to
by NM_Bill / May 28, 2007 10:27 AM PDT

delibrately bait us, why bother to consider buying now? Have any patience? More refined & more affordable each year. A couple of years should do wonders. You're now seriously going to wait 10 years, are you?:

The proposition of a cheap set & expensive set both having equally good picture quality is a bit shortsighted. It's not just initial apparent picture quality. Why else justifies a big price differential? How about good old more sophisticated internal circuitry to better solve handshake issues & satndard def feeds with artifacts?

Brand names? To me, there is some value & trust in solid brand names, especially compared to no-names. Sony? Panasonic plasma? Qualified yes answers.

Don't wait 10 years & with tech moving so rapidly, don't figure a new set to be for 10 years (though good quality ones certainly are built for that.)

Collapse -
by jonnybones / May 28, 2007 1:18 PM PDT

Well the main reason you would buy today is so you can watch it. Sure you can wait 5-10 years, but that is also 5-10 years you dont have HD. They dont last as long as tubes because they are different types of TV's. The price difference comes with resolution and contrast ratio. The more expensive ones are 1080p, and above 3000:1 or so contrast. All the "junk" brands are 720p and ~1600:1 contrast.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?