Question

Why Pop-Ups for "File Associations"?

More & more, when I open an e-mail,& it requires a dnld., I get this pop-up that tells me that there needs to be a file association for this particular dnld. -

HOW do I get this to work? - (Win 7, 64bit, 2yr. old Toshiba Laptop)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why Pop-Ups for "File Associations"?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why Pop-Ups for "File Associations"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: download

Opening a mail, as far as I know, never requires a download. The mail just opens and you can read the body of the mail.

Downloading an attachment to your hard disk never requires a file association. It just copies the attachment to your hard disk.

Then, generally, you'd use a program to open the downloaded file. What program you need depends on the type of the file. For example, to open that swm file I discussed in my previous post, you need the program mentioned in http://filext.com/file-extension/SWM. But it could very well be that the file you want to open is of another type. If you can't open it, find the extension of the file you saved in Windows Explorer. Asking the sender how he made the file and what program he recommends to open it makes a lot of sense also.

Kees

- Collapse -
File Association, Reply

It's not necessarily e-mails that require dnlds, and I DO get e-mails that have videos, etc. that require dnlding., then 'Opening'. - When I clk 'Open', That's when I get the pop-ups saying that I need to find an association for that file. -
(and also an irritating 'Noise' that sounds like a string on a Base Guitar' just broke! - BOING!!)

BUT - - if I go to Dnlds.in 'Win Explorer', and click on many of them, (mostly from e-mails), & there are hundreds of 'em, I get the same mssg!
What Gives Here? - At one time, I was able to view these videos, pics, etc., but whatever enabled me to be able to Open these files, does not work any more. - Is there a dnld. or program that will make these files readable again? More HELP if possible, pleeeeeze! - Thanks, pat

- Collapse -
Re: file association

As I said, it depends on the file type what program you need to open it. I'd start with running the right program and using its File>Open method to open the file. If that succeeds you can set the association between that file type and that program. The details on how to do that depend on your OS, and you didn't yet tell that.

By the way, if you don't like that BOING!! go into Control Panel sounds, and for this event choose another sound or no sound. That's part of the normal customizing of a new PC, that it seems you didn't do yet.

Kees

- Collapse -
REPLY, File Association
Hi Kees, - Thanks for helping me out here. -

With the first query, I DID mention that my OS is Win - 7, 64bit, but as far as the rest, I remain somewhat confused, because if I open up the file association panel, there are hundreds of em, with initials that I don't understand, and I would have to sit here for hrs and try each one with the various downloads that require the correct association, - OR - - I obviously don't have a good grip on what's really going on, nor how to deal with it. - Kinda like the game of Golf - Some days you just can't love it enough, and then there are the 'Other Days' when one wants to just chuck the whole thing into the pond!! - ( And I'm not very swift with either, ha,ha)
I believe that I can handle the 'Boing' thing tho.

Thanks again, Pat
- Collapse -
Re: file association
http://www.winvistaclub.com/t19.html tells 2 or 3 ways to do it.

The filetype is indicated by the "extension". That's the part of the filename after the last dot, like .mp3 or .doc or .jpg. You can see them by unchecking "hide file extensions for known filetypes" in Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab. Then they are shown in Explorer. There's nothing to "understand" here, you only have to "know" that a MS Word document is .doc or .docx and a pdf-document is .pdf and most pictures are .jpg.

But for the right clicj method mentioned in the link you don't even have to know that extension. All that's needed is
1. A file on the hard disk
2. You have to know what program to use to open it

If you don't know #2, tell us the extension and probably we'll know what program you need. Or ask the sender.

Kees
- Collapse -
REPLY, File Association

Kees,

Thanks very much for your Help, Input, and Patience! - I will save and study these 'chats' for present, & future use. - Glad you are here for us less 'tech savvy' PC users. - Pat

CNET Forums