Cameras forum

General discussion

why not use point and shoot camera for home movies ?

by flag-football-mom / September 7, 2008 8:00 AM PDT

I am wanting to upgrade from a Canon Powershot A620 to the Canon S5 primarily for the additional zoom capability. But, I also need a new camcorder and can't afford to buy both at this time.

I am a "flag football mom" (aka soccer mom) and have yet to take the time to figure out how to transfer my miniDV videos to DVD. However, I was able to easily make a short little DVD from a video I took using my A620. What would be the disadvantage of using a new camera with a large SD card to take home movies and then burn to DVD?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why not use point and shoot camera for home movies ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why not use point and shoot camera for home movies ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hey, I do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 8:04 AM PDT

I carry my camera everywhere so I don't have the full baggage of miniDV tapes and more. Let me share a little secret about making the DVD.

DVD FLICK and other titles can make that next step all too easy.
Bob

Collapse -
compression and sound

The videos of cameras are usually compressed more than a dedicated video camera, which creates lower quality. The sound quality of cameras are pretty poor. The S5IS is of a better quality, but not to the level of a dedicated video camera, but if your budget doesn't allow a good video camera then I'd go with the S5IS.

Collapse -
Also...
by Dan Filice / September 7, 2008 11:37 AM PDT

On a digital still camera, I've never seen one that will allow you to change zoom while filming. Generally you need to zoom where you want it to be, then do the filming. Not great if you plan on changing focus and zooming when the action gets closer or further away. What about this: Since many camcorders can do digital still captures, why not reverse your application and use a camcorder for both video movies and still images?

Collapse -
yes they can
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / September 7, 2008 1:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Also...
Collapse -
The only drawbacks
by JayMonster / September 8, 2008 4:02 AM PDT

Honestly, when comparing it to lowest end digital camcorders, there is little to no difference in quality (even sound) when compared with the S5 IS. It doesn't take much though to the next level up for the camcorders to start being a better choice, especially if you are trying to film a flag football game. As Lori noted in her review (http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-s5-is/4505-6501_7-32441341.html), with faster action you start to notice more artifacts in the video.

The worst drawback (typically) is that the ergonomics are not the same, and with most people, even with Image Stabilization, the amount of jerkiness in the video is often greater when using a camera for these videos that a camcorder.

That being said, if you are forced to choose at this point, I would (personally) go with the still camera that shoots video rather than the other way around.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!