Computer Help forum

Question

why my computer done gone bad for?

by Fraybento / November 9, 2014 6:47 AM PST

windows 7 professional 64x
processor 4.10GHz
8GB ram

overnight my computer embaddened.
now takes 5-10 mins to get to log-in screen.
cannot perform/cooly ignores some tasks.
I took it for granted and now I don't think it loves me anymore, help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why my computer done gone bad for?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why my computer done gone bad for?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most common?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2014 6:49 AM PST

I find a lot of malware today along with heatsinks that fell off. The thing is, most folk don't want to work on their PC, they just want a button that fixes it.
Bob

Collapse -
can you tell me where the button is kept?
by Fraybento / November 9, 2014 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Most common?

it won't run scan for more than 20 seconds before it gets bored, then if left it will go to sleep as if it wasn't doing anything but keeping the scan window up as a courtesy.

I think the heat sink is ok, computer is always stationary and heat sink was secured well.

Collapse -
Now smile...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2014 7:09 AM PST

It's next to the batteries that power crystal balls but no one knows which store or aisle it's on.

OK, if I was to look at such a PC I'd do the inspection first as it's just all too often I reach in and find that HSF assembly wasn't on right. After that I begin the scanning. If the OS is too damaged, we reload.
BOb

Collapse -
plan of action
by Fraybento / November 9, 2014 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: Now smile...

it's a bit late to be juggling components here, but I will enter her in the morning and jiggle the heat sink.
any suggestions on scanners sir?

Collapse -
Grif has a list at link to follow.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2014 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: plan of action
Collapse -
thank you bobpro
by Fraybento / November 9, 2014 7:38 AM PST

there will now be a brief intermission, check back in 9 hours or so for the exciting conclusion

although I guess that would be midnight there ?_?

so tomorrow, same bat time, same bat place.

*outro music*

Collapse -
okay so
by Fraybento / November 10, 2014 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: thank you bobpro

I checked out the heat sink and things look alright inside,
upon powering up again to precede with scannings chkdsk butts in and checks a drive for inconsistencies after a while it finishes doing its thing and lets me in.
After that I ran adwcleaner (griflist) and it found some rubbish which was taken care of then restart,
upon restart we had chkdsk again but it was using phrases like 'recovering orphaned file' and 'Insufficient disk space to recover lost data', some things it seemed to recover like some 'lastfm' thing and a 'musicbrainz' and 'frenchtv' all were LUAC and not things that I am familiar with.
Anyway, once back in I continued with griflist and malwarebytes has been in pre-scan operations for an hour and a half, it doesn't seem to be doing much. Is the problem in fact my hard drive?

Collapse -
That's interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2014 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: okay so

How big is the HDD, C: and how much free space? If too low, all the above may be just the age old low space issue.
Bob

Collapse -
well
by Fraybento / November 10, 2014 6:17 AM PST
In reply to: That's interesting.

c: is an SSD, 230G maybe
but problem is on other drive which is 1T, it wont show info like free space and explorer freezes when you browse in drive.
computer was only finished mid-year and had ample free space on 'other' drive

Collapse -
:(
by Fraybento / November 10, 2014 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: well

malwarebytes nearly four hours in, still pre-scan operations

are you sure you don't have a spare fix it button lying around?

Collapse -
Don't browse, DIR!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2014 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: well

Since Windows Explorer will hang if there is a corrupt jpeg or other file I think it's time to use DIR instead.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't know how :'(
by Fraybento / November 10, 2014 7:28 AM PST
In reply to: Don't browse, DIR!

also I am unsure of my next step in fixing computer. I don't have faith that scan will do it's thing, but will leave it over night anyway.

Collapse -
It's three letters then press the return key?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2014 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know how :'(

Sorry but it's all on the web so always a good skill to learn. Figure about 10 minutes.

I'm beginning to think the 1TB drive has failed. What happens if you unplug the SATA data cable (power off, unplug, boot!)
Bob

Collapse -
Think back or recall
by Willy / November 10, 2014 7:49 PM PST

Since you had this PC, just what are your uses for it. We have no clue in the way your PC is used. It's looking like if your 1st boot drive is SSD and the 2nd drive being 1Tb has it been set to "used as storage or data drive"? I ask, because if you accept the default setting of many various s/w installs or don't pay attention, it will default to your 1st drive, the SSD. It will fill-up and basically become slower over time. If you do much audio or video editing of play which in turn stores much of that data, the SSD is getting filled too easily. The 1Tb may not being used, but again I don't know your day to day operations of the PC. If you at least check the amount of space being used by each drive and the folders/directories used you get an idea of what the status of storage. I exclude any h/w fault for now. While, you seem to be working on any malware of infection side of things, please do check those scans. One good pgm. to do all this and it will take some time is the use of "HitmanPro/64-bit version" it will load and update itself and in general does a very intensive scan outside of a typical normal boot, though it may to scan several times to be clean. Once, HitmanPro is OKs the PC, then you can proceed to other aspects of what your problem maybe.

I get the feeling, if it worked well 1 day and then didn't the next, JUST recall what you may have done prior to its downfall. If recent s/w install, remove them or any freebie s/w, un-install or delete them. Don't trust any new s/w if that's the case. Alas, if you did install something, and connected to the WWW you compound the problem as it "nestles" into your PC to wreak havoc.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by Fraybento / November 11, 2014 6:53 AM PST

hey, was still scanning when I went to work, had finished when I got back so restarted computer, has been doing chkdsk since then and telling me that LOTS of 'file record segments' are unreadable. it will probaly tell me that it's recovering orphaned files for ages after this.

once it finishes I plan to unplugging sata and record results.

the c: has only OS on it and lots of free space, I have installed a fair few games on other drive along with a few choice programs and music storage.

last time it worked good I was falling asleep to some rubbish television program.
I didn't install or download anything for maybe a week prior.
I don't want nestlings.

Collapse -
faulty drive, sad face
by Fraybento / November 13, 2014 10:17 PM PST

did one more boot with it plugged in to see if scans magic-ed it better, it did not.
unplugged drive and computer started at usual speed/normaly.

so what now, do I have to buy a new drive? will this one ever dance again?

Collapse -
Answer
OK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 10:28 PM PST

It's been a lot of time spent so:

Unplugging the drive brought the speed back. It is possible the drive has failed but if this was mine I'd put the drive into some USB case and install a new HDD. Now I would try Windows (after I had partitioned and formatted the HDD) to boot, plug in the USB drive and copy the contents over. If that didn't work I'd boot up any one of the usual bootable Live CDs such as I noted a while ago at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Today I'd use Linux Mint or Puppy since these are more advanced and just as easy to use. Remember we use the apps, we are not learning a new OS. Firefox, file browsers work the same in either OS.
Bob

Collapse -
by Fraybento / November 14, 2014 1:38 AM PST
In reply to: OK.

so definitely need to buy new hard drive?

I don't think there's any data on the hdd that can't be replaced.

Collapse -
Or something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2014 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: ..

For cheap I always try a shiny new SATA cable. A funky cable could cause all the above but there is no clear sign or reason to suspect such but it has happened so you try it. There's also the old wipe the drive and try it fresh. That is, and let me be clear I'm not talking about a formatting. I would remove all the partitions on the drive, test to see if it works without any partitions (yup, you won't use the drive) and test if the machine is balky with a blank HDD on that channel/cable.

After that test I would create the usual partition and let Windows format it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?