Question

Why my BD-C6900 blue-ray player do not play .MKV files ?

Hi everyone,

I own a 3D blue-ray player BD-C6900 from Samsung. I have made the last firmware update yesterday. (BSP-C6900WWB-1020.4)

Since then, my BD-C6900 player is not able to play .MKV files anymore. (Matroska Codec) Sad

It was working well with .MKV files, until I made this firmware update. Almost all my video files are encoded in .MKV codec. I've call Samsung support center 2 times and they told me it was impossible to downgrade my BD-C6900 firmware. They also tell me they had no idea how to fix it. I'm still able to play .AVI and .MP4 files. I've try every way to play these files with usb external drives, with Samsung PC Share Manager and even with a DVD disk with .MKV files on it. I also tried to format a usb key and still not working with .MKV video files.

80% of my video collection is in .mkv so it's really annoying ! I got the error message : "this video codec is not supported" But it was working fine with the old firmware .. I really do not understand why they make firmware updates to fixes something and create other issues ?

If you guys have any clues about this issue just tell me or maybe I'll have to wait until the next firmware update to see if they fix that problem.

Thanks for your time ! Grin

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why my BD-C6900 blue-ray player do not play .MKV files ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why my BD-C6900 blue-ray player do not play .MKV files ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sorry but

This one has many hundred discussions. Let's cover (repeat) the basics fast. MKV is a container so what's inside has to be encoded in what works. While there is a list in the manual since MKV is a container and not an encoding we can't write all MKVs will play. It is true that units can see into the MKV but encoding is another matter altogether.

Try other encodings and updates tend to be something we can't count on.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

Thanks for your post !
I'll try to find my videos in .MP4 format cause it works well.

Best regards,

Frank. Cool

CNET Forums