Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

why isn't the wpa-psk option in my wireless network

by pecostx / July 23, 2011 1:59 AM PDT

While recently trying to connect my "new to me laptop", to my home wireless, I have found that there are not all of the wireless security options available to me that there are on some other laptops running xp pro. My home router is set to wpa-psk for security but my xp pro only offers me wep and I will not reduce the security of my wireless signal just for this laptop. So my alternate question is how to expand the security options of my xp? Is it dependent on my wireless device installed in the laptop or a patch for xp?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why isn't the wpa-psk option in my wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why isn't the wpa-psk option in my wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Your right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 2:26 AM PDT

XP Pro without service packs offered only WPA. Updates to the OS and drivers add WPA/WPA2.
Bob

Collapse -
don't want to be right, I want wireless to work!
by pecostx / July 23, 2011 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Your right.

Sorry, my bad. XP pro w/sp3. Started with used laptop w/out hard drive. intalled wd800beve, used xp pro w/sp3 cd from local computer shop did clean install. when in network connections and looking to allow wpa security, I'm only seeing two options, disabled and wep. My wifes IBM thinkpad has xp pro w/sp3 and it has disabled, wep, wpa, wpa-psk, wpa2 and one other (that I can't recall right now) as options for security. How can I get these other security options added to "my" xp ? Are these options dependent on the wireless adapter installed in my laptop or canthey be downloaded from somewhere? ( laptop is an Acer Travelmate 240)

Collapse -
Sorry but top post had no make and model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 5:20 AM PDT

You can now try acer.com and see what they supply for drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer hasn't been much help
by pecostx / July 23, 2011 8:02 AM PDT

I've been there and done that so to speak, with them, and all the drivers they have for the network adapter seem to be out of date. If I can't get anything from microsoft that helps my xp pro them I am going to have to go with a type II pcmcia card and hope for the best or keep a very long ethernet cable with me at all times!!!

Will I have to uninstall (literally take out) the internal wireless card to use a pc card, or can I just disable it in the device manager? I don't want it to be trying to access networks while my pc card wireless device is accessing or connected at the same time.

Perhaps an upgrade to vista or 7 is in its future (as in maybe they will not have this problem and then neither will I)?

Collapse -
The driver is dated 12/3/2008 which is VERY NEW
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2011 9:00 AM PDT

Compared to the OS.

I'm a bit surprised it didn't offer WPA/WPA2.

What version of driver are you using now?
Bob

Collapse -
Must have just added it.
by pecostx / July 23, 2011 2:04 PM PDT

As of a couple of weeks ago the latest version was July 14, 2002 which was the latest available. I will check Acer's site later this afternoon and if its for the LAN Express 802.11 pci adapter then I will surely download it try it out!! Will let you all know how it turns out.

Actual wireless card (they call it a "LAN board") is an Ambit T60H656.02 rev.03. Just turned off laptop so I dont have version # or date available right now but I dont remember it being later than '05 I think.

Collapse -
Yes. "device drivers are going to determine if wpa or wep
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 10:06 AM PDT

"device drivers are going to determine if wpa or wep security is available?" = TRUE.

Also the OS SERVICE PACKS.

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=765 shows two drivers. I just install one than the other if I can't decode what card I have.

Here's the wifi stick I carry in my bag when folk have a failed or card without security:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037G2BMY

While I can't speak if XP SP3 will work as nice as Windows Vista or 7, this stick was under 9 bucks in my mailbox and didn't require me to use their drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, But I've Found Some Drivers Which Don't Support WPA
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 25, 2011 4:41 AM PDT

Some of the old drivers don't support WPA. It wasn't around back then. If the new driver Bob mentioned supports the newer security. Great. Installing them should fix your problem. Unfortunately here, in a few situations, we've had to disable the onboard wireless device and install a USB wireless adapter which has newer drivers supporting the newer security.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
finally a little help!
by pecostx / July 25, 2011 9:56 AM PDT

That's what i've been wanting to know! First can I leave the current device in the laptop without it interfering(yes according to Grif). Second is the security options determined by the device capabilities or the software/OS (also answered by Grif). So are you saying that the device drivers are going to determine if wpa or wep security is available? I just want to be sure I'm understanding what you've said.

Collapse -
Yes, That's Correct...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 26, 2011 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: finally a little help!

If the device drivers for the onboard adapter don't support WPA, your best solution is to install an external USB adapter which has the correct support..

And yes, you can leave the onboard wireless adapter installed on the laptop but disable it from Device Manager when you install the new USB adapter. (Don't uninstall the onboard adapter. Simply open the adapter properties and use the "Device Usage" drop down menu at the bottom to disable the device.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?