General discussion

Why isn't C-Net attacking a real issue?

Sorry, CNET, but I needed to call attention to something, so I used you as the fall guy.

Getting email and knowing what to do with it is getting to be very annoying. How many times have you received an email from a bank, a buying service, Amazon, Ebay, PayPal, etc. And you know the request is bogus and you know someone is out there trying to scam you.

You want to do the right thing and forward the message to the respective institution so they'll know-right? But it seems every institution in America has to put their own dang spin on email addresses and reporting. SPOOF at PayPal, Stop-spoofing at Amazon, phishing at another place, abuse at another, on and on it goes.

I'm a Viet Nam vet of the Navy and the Air Force. In the military we had a saying. It was called KISS, for Keep It Simple Stupid!

I would like to see CNET charge to the front on this issue and see if they can't get all of these institutions on the same page. Like....abuse@everyinstitution or something similar so that we fools out here don't have to guess so much just to do the right thing.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Why isn't C-Net attacking a real issue?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why isn't C-Net attacking a real issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder

but I don't think these forums are mainly designed to be consumer advocates of any type. I see them as sharing sites for information and experience. We give and take and, hopefully, become wiser individuals. I see no need to assemble as an activist group. As for your being in both the Navy and Air Force in Viet Nam, I must say I find that to be unusual as those two service branches aren't related such as is the Navy to the Marines or the Air Force to the Army.

- Collapse -
My cousin was in the Marines and the Army during Viet Nam

He had a bad eye (called it a lazy eye when he was a kid). He couldn't become an officer in the Marines (not correctable with glasses) so he transferred to the Army. He was drummed out as a Captain when Viet Nam was over. He was fine with that. It let him go to school and retired from the VA.

Diana

- Collapse -
Do you really think...

the decision makers at CNet, the administrative staff, actually read these forums for ideas on where to focus their energy?

- Collapse -
why not?

Politicians take their cues from SE when forming policy.

}Happy

I have to agree with the OP. Spamming and spoofing, phishing, call it what you will... it has become a "standard" enough PITA, that it would be nice if services and companies were to take a standardized approach to dealing with fraudsters targeting the patrons of these services.

- Collapse -
Actually

abuse@some.domain is pretty standard already. Seldom do I get a bounce when reporting such abuse.

- Collapse -
(NT) LOL @ Politicians listening in!
- Collapse -
do what I did

Get a new email address, keep the old one active, put a "vacation" message on it warning everyone of what the old email address does now, change everyone you actually want over to your new email address, then put spam at UCE dot gov as a forwarding address for that old email account.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/07/newspamemail.shtm

What did I discover? That a lot of those spammers actually DO check the returns on those email addresses that if you answer you get some reply about them not being valid or someone sends you an email that it's not really them, etc. However, that "vacation reply" somehow gets back to the majority of them and within a few months that account is almost clean of spam.

- Collapse -
I never get any spam...

Mailwasher.

- Collapse -
works for email maybe... but I get spammed on Skype too.

Just last week, I received 3 text messages from 3 different phisher/spammers telling me my windows machine was corrupted. Impossible of course, since I use an apple. Even so... Skype doesn't offer an easy complaint button to forward such offenders to their administrators. You can... but only after banning the spammer.

- Collapse -
RE: Chip on shoulder

A chip on my shoulder? Oh please! Look, phishing hurts everyone; be it by using your time or stealing your information or scamming. Therefore, it behooves someone with major clout (like CNET) to, at the very least, look at the issue and see how it affects its members or the public at large.

You sound like the type who says "who cares(?)" and merrily goes on your way, letting someone else deal with a problem that should be everyone's problem.

My sphere of influence is small. CNET's sphere of influence is huge. This issue is safe computing. Who would you like me to sound off to....Obama maybe? Better still,. who is more likely to address the problem.....Obama? or CNET?

- Collapse -
Ok, so be it. As you said
"You sound like the type who says "who cares(?)" and merrily goes on your way..."

so I guess this makes you the type that can make solid judgments of a person based on a single paragraph of written word. I don't have such keen insight. Congratulations on being such a sharp one.
- Collapse -
Maybe not solid judgements; but snappy...YES!

Well Steven, I haven't posted on this forum before. So I chose a non-descript category and see that it's got everything from Blockbuster to Lou Dobbs as topics. Just previous to that came an email "supposedly" from amazon.com wanting info re-submitted. So, knowing it was false I sent it off to abuse just to help the next guy. It came back. So I went looking for Amazon's phishing reporting email address and after about 5 minutes of seaching it came back - stop-spoofing@amazon.com.

Like I should have thought of that? I was so flabberghasted that the stupidity of it all appeared before me. You know-a psychic moment. Here we have all of these companies saying they wanted to fight phishing for the protection of their customers and patrons; but none of them want to make it simple.

Then I thought some more. Uh-h...who is one of the biggest in computer tech that businesses might pay attention to? CNET instantly came to mind. Then again, I didn't know that YOU would be here to see my comments as being so reckless and stupid. I do apologize.

And yes, I believe that employees of CNET do cruise the forums and do take notes - especially when CNET is the topic of conversation. Most good companies do that.

And finally, the reason I went from the Navy to the Air Force is because I was attached to the 1st and 7th fleets in the Navy. That means I was stuck between California and Viet Nam. And as a shipboard electrician there was only about four years shore duty in 20 years of service, which meant I would be at sea a whole lot.

Therefore, since I had a hankering to see Europe, from the ground, I enlisted in the Air Force as a construction electrician. After MacDill AFB in Tampa, Florida I was sent to Spain. So, I'd say I figured correctly.

Finally, I went civilian and even ended up a political radio talk show host after that for 15 years. So now that I'm retired I have plenty of time to irritate folks who read the forums looking for easy punching bags to justify their own existence. I've been online since 300 baud days and well before web pages.

I hope your Monday is better, Steven.

- Collapse -
you sound like

someone who got ripped off in a con job. Is that why you seem so upset? There are so many proactive ways to deal with phishing and spam, why not instead feel the personal satisfaction of fighting back yourself against them?

- Collapse -
You got my honest response to your OP

I regret that it wasn't up to your expectations. Perhaps I should have re-written the title and you'd not feel the need to reply with a (mild) personal attack. I just see spam and phishing as something I can deal with personally and don't need protection from an ombudsman. I see no reason for Cnet to take your on suggestion as a mission. The topic is so well published that it should be a rare individual who's not aware of the hazards of internet and on line communications. I prefer to educate myself and spread my knowledge that way rather than expect someone else to relieve me of that responsibility. I don't think spamming will stop until just because a spammer has trouble getting to ones door. It is more likely to stop when spammers are rejected by their targets and their plan no longer works.

FWIW, I guess I'm a Viet Nam era vet having been in the AF during that period. I received orders to go but they were rescinded when things began to run down. I've also used a 300 baud modem...one acoustically coupled to a telephone hand receiver. This doesn't qualify me for much other than to offer that I'm no youngster either. I must admit that my reference to your military service change was one of expressing skepticism. There are plenty here that falsify their identities and we cannot know who they are. I use my real name and not a nickname or handle. If someone wanted to find me and kick my teeth in, they could probably do so.

BTW, welcome to SE where the unexpected can be expected.

- Collapse -
RE: SE where the unexpected can be expected

Actually, if the unexpected can be expected, you've just sort of trashed your original beginning argument, Steven. Happy And the name I opine under here on a first-time forum is immaterial to the subject. Because my screen name has been the same for 20 years, makes it more automatic for me to use than to think that I would be purposely subversive just to annoy you. You give yourself far too much credit. I further have no problem using my name - Steve Hartman, Lincoln, MT.

But getting back to the issue, there are some folks who deal solely with "self." Me, me, me, is what life is about. I just don't think that way. I think that if you can lend a helping hand you should. No, not forced, like taxes; but voluntary, like charity.

If big business wants to solve the phishing issue for customers and patrons as they claim, then they should get on the same page and standardize their email addresses to make it as easy as possible for people to report if they want to do so. The fact that they do not, makes it a lost-time issue for those that would like to report phishing - hence business is making the reporting issue more complicatted than it needs to be.

CNET, if they chose to, could make an impact on those buinesses if it chose to recommend making reporting easier for both customers and patrons, as well as those businesses.

You see, Steven, it isn't rocket science or political. It is not even a topic really worthy of your vast knowledge and experience. It's just a problem that can be helped with basic common sense. And while you and I may be quick to spot the phishing email. there are thousands of people coming on line for the first time every day.

For the life of me, I can figured out why I have so inflamed your argumentative nature. But I am pretty sure you'll tell me. Have a nice day.

- Collapse -
Here's the problem....think about it

This line in your reply;

"I can(sic) figured out why I have so inflamed your argumentative nature. But I am pretty sure you'll tell me." (underline is mine)

So you've determined that I'm argumentative? That's a fairly strong judgment and I don't see it anywhere in my replies to you. I disagreed with your suggestion that Cnet should "charge to the front on this issue" and you responded by typing me as being apathetic. I've not argued at all...only stated my opinion. So now I'm both apathetic and argumentative? I suppose I could charge that your latest post was bit condescending...and, IMO, it is but it's no matter of any consequence. Nothing, on my part, has become inflamed. All I see is that you're not pleased by someone showing disagreement. You have shown that displeasure by firing back mild insults and I'm just pointing out what I see versus what you see. Nothing wrong with that.

- Collapse -
Phishing hurts the fools that fall for it

Shame on them

- Collapse -
Let's not blame the victims

What if they are elderly, living on a pension, starting to slip in the mental areas a bit? Does that justify someone coming along to harm them economically?

- Collapse -
The elderly have long been easy targets

This one, I first saw at CNN, is quite shameful and indicative of just how crappy people can be.

Elderly man robbed in cemetary

BTW, I know some won't like that it's from Fox but when I typed my key words into google the link was on top of the list. Happy

I don't know if there's a way to stop virtual confrontations since physical confrontations of this type are so common and often violent.

- Collapse -
anyone over 60

should be packing heat when out and about. In Florida it's a Felony charge with extra spin on it to assault anyone 65 or over.

- Collapse -
Yeah, that's the answer

Old people carrying guns.

On the original topic, I don't lose sleep over whether someone's abuse e-mail is abuse@______ or phishing@________ or whatever. When I get messages like that (which is rarely -- Gmail has very good spam filtering and phishing detection as does my web browser), I usually just laugh and delete them.

- Collapse -
(NT) robbery is hardly a political issue. I'll trust Fox on this
- Collapse -
Common sense defense

Sorry, even if CNET picked up the gauntlet, the problem is so huge it's a finger in the dike scenario. The only practical thing done is already out there, "educate the user" of the pitfalls of online surfing. My bank and other flat out don't do any customer services directed freely unless instructed to do so. So, if you don't want any online bank activity, tell your bank. Then any correspondence is bound to be fake or can be ignored. In other words, protect your self using common sense. Believe me, people just don't follow that advice, after all you can call your bank or any other financial service to verify the dubious email, etc. if concerned.

So far, I still wait for Nigeria to send my check for a zillion dollars, they have my address to forward it to. take some of my cash to pay for the stamps. Wink -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
I agree with that.

If you are able to log on to the internet, surf, use online banking etc, you should have at least enough sense to know that nobody is going to send you a gazillion dollar check for doing nothing.

CNET Forums

Forum Info