Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

Why is wireless not working for 24 hours when I switch?

by Wirelessless / July 4, 2014 7:29 AM PDT

Hello,

I travel on a regular basis and sometimes when I switch from one hotel to another, I can use the wireless internet connection in hotel A just fine, but then the next day in hotel B I can't use their wireless internet connection. In the list of available wireless connections I select the one I need and then it says "connected", but above it says "no internet connection" and I then can't get online at all.

One hotel once had an IT guy who told me that this has nothing to do with their wireless connection, but that it's a Windows issue. That Windows memorizes the old IP address (hotel A) and then doesn't allow any other connection for any other IP address (hotel B) for 24 hours.

At the moment I am also having the same issue with a router that I have to use on a daily basis (Longshine, LCS-WA5-45, IEEE 802.11g Wireless Access Point). When it gets disconnected for whatever reason, I then cannot get connected again for 24 hours. So the same router and the same wireless connection is being used, but once disconnected it's not possible to get connected again for 24 hours.

Could someone please let me know more about this setting? Is there a way for me to access it and change it to a lower number, or delete it altogether, so that I can get connected multiple times per day and switch from one wireless connection to another without having to wait for 24 hours?

Thank you very much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is wireless not working for 24 hours when I switch?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is wireless not working for 24 hours when I switch?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I should mention that I am using Windows 7 Home Edition
by Wirelessless / July 4, 2014 7:33 AM PDT

I should mention that I am using Windows 7 Home Edition.

Collapse -
That's a little more. Forgetting is well documented.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2014 7:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Forgetting wouldn't work for router issue, would it?
by Wirelessless / July 4, 2014 8:01 AM PDT

Forgetting would probably work for switching from one hotel to another. I'll try it next time. Thank you.

But for the router issue I described below, I can't delete the connection, since I'm supposed to use wlan13 each time. Do you have any ideas for how I can handle that to avoid the 24 hour waiting period?

Collapse -
Not yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2014 9:48 AM PDT

I've used far too many WiFi spots over the world. And not once was I required to not delete/forget a connection and if I did it has zero effect. Something else is a miss.

Collapse -
Deleting doesn't help
by Wirelessless / July 5, 2014 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Not yet.

I deleted the wlan13 as described in the steps you provided. Then I went to the list of available Connections, selected wlan 13 again, had to enter the Password/code for router 13, then I clicked on "connect" for wlan13 and got the same result as previously. For the Connection wlan13 it says "connected", but above it says "no Internet Connection/Access".

I went into properties and did a diagnosis for wlan 13. I got the error message "the computer seems to be configured correctly, but the device or ressource (DNS Server) is not responding". Yesterday while I had to wait around for 24 hours I did not get that error message though.

Collapse -
Quite the stumper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2014 7:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Deleting doesn't help

I would be guessing what's different from stock. But you can look at the DNS setting and see if that's proper or not.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I've been on travel for years and never heard that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2014 7:36 AM PDT

However I can't find which Windows this is so I can't be exact where to remove the prior connection. Remember that some antivirus suites play up when we use WiFi so again, it could be anything at this point but this would be a first it's Windows in my opinion.

Remember I have used hundreds of laptops at so many hotels so my experience isn't everywhere and every machine but something's a miss. I just can't tell what it is yet. Keep telling more.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium
by Wirelessless / July 4, 2014 7:52 AM PDT

Thanks for your reply. Since I'm not all that techie I'm not sure what additional info to provide that would be helpful.

Let's take the router I mentioned above. Yesterday I used it for 4 hours in one go and it worked fine. Then I had to step away from the laptop for an hour and it went into sleep mode I guess. When I got back the connection that had worked fine previously was disconnected (due to sleep mode I guess). When I selected the same wireless connection again, it said "connected" but above it said "no internet connection" and I couldn't get online anymore.

So when it's working fine, when I get connected it says "connected" for the connection I selected, and above it says "internet connection".

On the other hand, when it doesn't work, it says "connected" for the connection I selected, but above it says "no internet connection". Then I can't get online.

I hope my description makes sense. Or maybe this clarifies it a bit: I live in building where multiple people have to use their own router. I was given a router which was numbered 13, and in the list of available connections I'm supposed to select the connection called wlan13. So I used the router numbered 13 both times, and I selected the connection named wlan13 both times. The first time it worked, the second time it didn't. And I am now still waiting for the 24 hours to be over, for it to then hopefully/most likely work again.

Collapse -
The no Tech answer must be
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2014 9:49 AM PDT

Restore the laptop to its factory condition.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!