Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Why is unicode in my download manager

by LB15 / October 14, 2013 1:27 PM PDT

Every time I try to download something or unzip something, etc, the dialogue box that pops up is in what I believe is called unicode, so I don't know what to press at all.

I am using a borrowed laptop from my boss. It is an ACER Aspire E1 with windows 7. I am in Thailand, so the computer was possibly in Thai at one point, but now it is mostly in English.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

LB15 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is unicode in my download manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is unicode in my download manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by LB15

Collapse -
Well
by Jimmy Greystone / October 14, 2013 11:07 PM PDT

Well, Unicode is a system of encoding fonts for multiple languages. Chinese, Japanese, Russian and English all use very different characters/glyphs, for example, and Unicode is a way of including all of those characters/glyphs in a single file so that the computer can pick the right characters for the selected language.

If you're getting some kind of unicode message, odds are you're trying to use some file in a different language from what the computer is set to, so it wants to know what character set to use out of the font files.

Collapse -
I got it!
by LB15 / October 15, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

Thanks so much for your response.

I knew that both my internet language and my computer language were set to English, but I realized that one was US and one was UK, so I made them the same. That did not help.

When I checked the download manager I realized that it was called Internet Download Manager (IDM), so I Googled "change language of my internet download manager". I found a good page and I followed the screen shots (as my IDM wasn't in English), and presto! The IDM and Zip file manager were both fixed. Basically I just had to go to view, languages and english in the IDM, but didn't know where that was before because it was in unicode due to the fact that it was set to Thai while Firefox was set to English.

Thank you again for your response!
L

Collapse -
Answer
Browser setting
by Willy / October 15, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

Typical setting for "Unicode" is found in your browser. Check the tool or options area of your browser and set as Unicode 8. That should fix the problem but it's not really a big problem. Google for what are the parameters for your browser as a quick look see.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Got it!
by LB15 / October 15, 2013 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Browser setting

Thanks so much for your response.

I searched around in the options area of Firefox, but the only language setting available was set to English and there was no unicode option.

So now I knew that both my internet language and my computer language were set to English, but I realized that one was US and one was UK, so I made them the same. That did not help.

When I checked the download manager I realized that it was called Internet Download Manager (IDM), so I Googled "change language of my internet download manager". I found a good page and I followed the screen shots (as my IDM wasn't in English), and presto! The IDM and Zip file manager were both fixed. Basically I just had to go to view, languages and english in the IDM, but didn't know where that was before because it was in unicode due to the fact that it was set to Thai while Firefox was set to English.

Thank you again for your response!
L

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!