Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why is this computer running so slow - details included!

Good Day!
I tried to help my parents by getting them a new desktop for X-Mas. I went and got the one CompUSA had on sale for $199. Two days later my hard drive crashes - what a good excuse to get a new system also! But by then all the $199 systems were gone - so I got the system that met our needs. But I'm confused....it seems like my parents have the better processor but it is running like molasses right out the box-except for the internet. Also, when I try to set screen resolution under "mom's" user name it also applies it to "dad's" user name even though they both have administrative privileges.

Parents Ours
System Compaq sr2006sx Compaq sr2020nx
Processor Brand Intel AMD
Class Celeron D Athlon 64
Number 356 3500+
Speed 3.33 GHz 202GHz
Bus Speed 533 Mhz 2.0 Ghz
L2 Cache Size 512 KB 512 KB
Memory Speed PC-3200 (400MHz) PC-4200 (533MHz)
Mem. Technology DDR-SDRAM DDR2-SDRAM
Installed Memory 512MB 512MB
Hard Drive Capacity 80 GB 160 GB

Ok....I think I may have answered my question. I never noticed the Bus Speed differences but I remember reading somewhere thaty has an impact on the computers speed. Am I on the right track? Is there any thing I can do to speed it up? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is this computer running so slow - details included!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is this computer running so slow - details included!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since the PC is virtually brand new...might be best to

In reply to: Why is this computer running so slow - details included!

contact mfg support regarding your questions.

It could something as simple as a BIOS setting (not optimized) in your PC that's making it appear to run slower than the 'other' PC.

Let us know what they advise.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
SR2020NX is slow .. uses RAM memory for graphics

In reply to: Since the PC is virtually brand new...might be best to

Hi,

I bought my Compaq Presario sr2020nx Minitower at CompUSA with
this configuration:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive,
16X DVD+/-RW Drive, Video Chipset Brand: NVIDIA
Video Chipset: GeForce 6150LE Video Integration: Motherboard
Shared Video RAM (Max): 256 MB Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

I went to BestBuy and bought 2 Gig RAM.
Memory Speed: PC2-4200 (533MHz)
There are only two slots which mean you take out your
existing RAM and replace it with the new ones.

The NVIDIA 6150LE video uses lots of memory (up to 256 MB) for displaying graphics.

I found that adding the additional RAM fixed speed issue.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.