TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Why is the TV show DVDs i purchased have 19gb on a DVD?

by armyranger516862006 / September 24, 2013 4:43 AM PDT

hey guys i have the Greys Anatomy seasons 6-8 and i am wanting to make a backup copy DVD of them. When i go to rip them with DVD Fab ripper the output file size it like 19gb. How is that possible to have such a large file size for a DVD? Also could anybody give me a way to make a copy of these DVDs?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is the TV show DVDs i purchased have 19gb on a DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is the TV show DVDs i purchased have 19gb on a DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This should be discussed in the DVD Fab forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 4:48 AM PDT

But to copy protect DVDs you drop invalid data into the media to trick copier software. A DVD player won't care so that's the trick. Make the copy software stumble but yet let it play on the players.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks!!
by armyranger516862006 / September 24, 2013 4:57 AM PDT

Okay thanks. But could you answer why the file size is that large on a DVD?

Collapse -
Because it's a lie.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2013 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!!

Let's say I alter the folder information or record in the DVD to lie about the file size. The DVD player doesn't care but I would trip up the copy app and thus protect my content.
Bob

Collapse -
He answered it. It's called copyright protection
by Pepe7 / September 24, 2013 5:03 AM PDT

There are various types currently in use by the commercial firms who product DVDs. Google is your friend ;).

Collapse -
What is says is not important,
by Oldartq / September 24, 2013 11:26 AM PDT

what i want to know is DVDFab is being fooled? I thought dvdfab can't be fool.

Collapse -
Answer
Yeah, use different software. Done.
by Pepe7 / September 24, 2013 5:02 AM PDT

FWIW, DVD Fab is about as clunky as you can get.

Instead, try using AnyDVD & Clone DVD 2 (both from the same company). There are some other options, but those involve copyright, so we had best not go there to keep the mods happy Wink

Bob pretty much covered the trickery involved as to why you are seeing the incorrect rip size(s).

cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.