Computer Help forum

Question

Why is the CNET website so slow?

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this but why is the CNET website so slow? I have really fast internet and no other websites give me trouble. CNET is so slow for me sometimes that it is really not usuable. This has been getting worse and worse for the past several months. Am I missing something or is there simply a problem with the site?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is the CNET website so slow?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is the CNET website so slow?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No Problems Here On These Forums...

In reply to: Why is the CNET website so slow?

You'll need to explain a little more about your specific problem.. EXACTLY which CNET website are you referring to? (Provide a link please.) What does "slow" mean to you? Does it load slow? Can you not post items quickly? Something else? Please be specific about how long it takes to load a page, or post an entry, etc..

In addition, since you've not given us ANY specifics about your computer or your internet connection, it's tough to make any accurate suggestions.. What type of Internet connection and how fast is you "really fast internet" connection? (What's it rated by your ISP and what do speed tests online show your bandwidth to be.)

What operating system are you using, make and model of the computer, etc.?

Are you using a HOSTS file or ad-blocker of some type which might be slowing down the load.

The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Slow for me also...

In reply to: No Problems Here On These Forums...

I am using a very high speed corp connection, on XP w/IE7, the browser pop-up blocker is all that is going and allowing pop-ups does not make it faster.

It took 11 seconds for this reply to open, it can take up to 30 seconds going from one forum to another. The download and review parts of the site do not have this issue, just the forums for me.

No host file for me, there is the corp proxy and content manager but cNet is an approved site so no issue there and the rest of the site is fine.

For me the effect is the page appears to load and be done, then the you can't do anything for a bit, like it is stuck and then it is fine.

It is a little faster from home oddly enough and their I am on IE8 but the forums are still slow to navigate.

Collapse -
Specifics

I am referring to www.cnet.com. When I go to this website it takes a very long time to completely load and then when I do anything like click on an article or look at a review I have to wait a long time for it to load. When I say that it is slow, I mean like I click something and 60 - 90 seconds later it loads completely. I can post items in the forum quickly enough but the formum takes a while to load up too.

My internet is through the local CATV provider. The speed today is 6.72 MBPS Down and .50 up. I just ran a speed test on it. I am using windows XP and I am not using any ad-blockers or other software like that. Of course, I have my browser set to minimize popups but that is all.

Collapse -
No problem here.....but

In reply to: Specifics

I suspect part of your problem is your hitting up against all the scripts that Cnet uses.

I get around this by using Firefox and the No script add-on.

Might be worth a test.

Collapse -
Insulting

In reply to: No problem here.....but

So you use uber slow scripts on your site and somehow that's the visitor's Problem? SMH

Collapse -
Clicking On The Link You Provided Opens in 1 or 2 Seconds

I generally access these forums at two or three different locations, each with a different set of computers.. Two of the locations have 3 Mbps DSL download speeds and the other location is on a T1 line which is REALLY fast, but none of the connections I use take more than a few seconds to open and close the various links at CNET.. I've used Internet Explorer 8 and 9 and Firefox.. Firefox seems to open a little quicker here, so that's what I use most of the time, but neither browser seems to really "drag".

I don't use the various popup blockers but on a couple of the computers I personally sit at, I have a HOSTS file installed. I'm not sure it should make any difference though.

I'll try to highlight this discussion for Lee Koo, our forum administrator.. Maybe he has some ideas.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
(NT) buzzjet, what browser are you using?

Collapse -
Browser

In reply to: buzzjet, what browser are you using?

I am using IE8.

Collapse -
Thanks for info!

In reply to: Browser

I just tried the pages on IE8...and I will have to agree with you, CNET.com is a bit slow to load. While majority of the content on the page loads there are a lot more additional thing loading in the background to complete the page. The forum pages here are a hit or miss, sometimes loading faster than others using IE8.

I personally don't notice this because 99% of time I'm using Firefox and these pages are quick to load. However, that's really no excuse that our pages render faster on some browsers and not for others.

I spoke to our engineering team about these issues that some of you are experiencing and the good news is that there is an upcoming initiative to optimize our pages for faster load times. Hopefully that will benefit everyone regardless of what browser you are using. So hang in there folks.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

-Lee
CNET Community

Collapse -
Is it the browser?

In reply to: Thanks for info!

Me too! I'm using IE7. I have a Dell E520 Desktop with Windows XP sp3. I have Comcast Cable and get 16,000+ kbps or 16M download speeds.

I hope this doesn't post twice. I messed up and navigated away while I was typing my reply. Then when I came back I had to log in again.

Collapse -
(NT) Give It a Try... How Does Firefox/Opera/Safari Work For You?

In reply to: Is it the browser?

Collapse -
Have not tried those browsers yet

In reply to: Give It a Try... How Does Firefox/Opera/Safari Work For You?

I have not tried firefox or any of the other browsers yet.

Collapse -
Give it a try, you'd be surprised at the difference.

In reply to: Have not tried those browsers yet

Not only on our site but others as well.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Reply to buzzjet concerning CNET website

In reply to: Browser

Funny, I'm using Safari and I'm encountering the same problem with CNET.com. And this is 474 days after your initial post, hmmm.

Collapse -
me too

ditto

Collapse -
Similar Problem for me

Just today when I wanted to go to the forums, I probably hovered or touched something while trying to scroll down to the end which is where one finds forums and after a very lengthy time of waiting to scroll (many minuets) CNET was still loading "stuff". I felt that I had no choice but to close my browser and start over. This time I was very careful to be sure that I did not "accidentally" touch anything except the scroll bar and then I was able to get all the way to the bottom for the forums. It seems to me that maybe CNET needs to put at the top along with Reviews, News, Videos... etc. a FORUM button. My suggestion to the person who created this post is to more or less start from scratch (i.e. www.cnet.com) and do not login but carefully scroll down to the end where the "forums" are located and once you get to the forums then login.

Collapse -
No Problems Here On These Forums... by Grif Thomas

Just found this thread after googling "Why is Cnet so slow?".

The author of the OP no doubt experienced the same problem with Cnet and no other site as I have been for the last few months. The pages are jaw-achingly slow to download. The green blocks in the progress bar in IE taskbar take ages to multiply. It is an age before you get any response from clicking on the Search pane. When you do manage to type in it and hit enter, you then wait for maybe 15 seconds before you can hit the 'Free' button. Then you have to wait again for that to load. Meanwhile you can't scroll down the page, your cursor arrow on the V at the foot of the right-hand scroll bar turns into a horizontal double-headed arrow. Every single change of page is sickeningly slow., 10 seconds or more each. Unless you are absolutely determined to search for information on Cnet, it is far easier to abandon it and go to Freeware Files or Snapfiles which do not have this problem.

So, Grif Thomas, just what part of SLOW do you not understand? The OP asked the simplest of questions, but you had to turn it into an inquisition. Maybe that was a deliberate tactic, for the thread disintegrated into people swapping details of what their favourite browsers are.

For what it's worth I use IE8 and XP and I have a fast broadband connection. What are you going to do now, tell me I ought to change to Firefox?

Meanwhile, it would be nice if Cnet/Download.com fixed the problem.

Collapse -
Just fine here.

In reply to: No Problems Here On These Forums... by Grif Thomas

Not going to tell you anything since it's quite fine here. Pages are here in a few seconds but then again I use a Google DNS. That seems to help a lot of things like this.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry YOU're Having Problems But...

...we can only relay our own experiences.. As stated before, HERE, I have no problems on these forums.. Please note that I access these forums from a half dozen different computers, using different locations, different types of internet connections, different browsers, etc. I don't have issues you've experienced and that's why I stated such.

As to your reference to an "inquisition", then YEP.. One of the definitions of such is listed below:

"A period of prolonged and intensive questioning or investigation"

As to WHY you might be experiencing slowness on this particular website, much like the problem with the original poster's question in this thread, (IT was TOO simply asked with little configuration information given), you'll need to give us a lot more information about your specific situation.. Internet connection type? Whether you've tried accessing on different computer and does it make a difference? How about connecting at different sites?

As to suggestions about Firefox, or some other browser for testing. Have you tried Firefox and does it make a difference? If it does, then maybe your Internet Explorer settings have issues. If it doesn't make a difference, then there are other areas to explore.. But we'll need the information first. That is, IF you really want a fix for the situation or do you just want flame others.

Of course, there could be an issue with the site which is affecting certain configurations.. Till those specifics are given, our site admin, Lee Koo, will be unable to identify any fixes for the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

Please read my post from above as there are ongoing efforts to speed up CNET pages.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5239510.html

As for Grif, he is only trying to get more details from the member so that it be can further investigated. And no, it is NOT a flat out "simplest of questions" that the OP is asking because CNET is a big site, there hundreds of different pages and it would be nice sometimes to get some examples so that it can be used to investigate. It's all about details because each person experiences are different and factors can come into play with slow page loads.

Grif is a volunteer moderator and a great one to say the least, and if this is your first time in the forums, I welcome you However, before you past judgment on Grif or anyone else in the forums, I would like for you to click on Grif's username in his post and see exactly what he has contributed to our forums. And to be honest with you, I don't appreciate you coming here and questioning his intentions, when he is only trying to help a fellow member.

Now if you have an issue with our site's speed, please click on the link below and report there--just don't forget to leave out the details like example links to pages....or any details.

http://cnet.custhelp.com/app/ask/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzMDQ3NDk2MC9zaWQvc18zUk1TUms%3D

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
ad scripting? (thanks, great capture of the CNET problem)

Howard, thanks, great capture of the CNET website performance problem.

All, This discussion is about having a CNET performance issue. It is not about web browsers. Grif, please understand, it is not about *not* having a performance problem with CNET website performance. Please, if anyone else finds a way to confuse this thread, please stay away.

I get the click, click, click, won't scroll, waiting for the green blocks in the progress bar, only to have the progress bar start over that howardferns described. My theory is that it is CNET's onerous, convoluded, scripted advertising framework that's the problem. Because I have blocked the ad sites with hosts file redirection, CNET's ad framework scripts seem intent to punish me, retrying, vectoring to alternate ad sites that are also blocked.

I've found no other web sites that do this.

Collapse -
Can you please provide some example pages?

In reply to: ad scripting? (thanks, great capture of the CNET problem)

I'd like to investigate this and see what is it that you guys are experiencing. I go through CNET's different sites daily, but not experiencing this, then again, I do have virgin browsers, IE9 and FF10 with no add on or ad blockers.

But I can get people with other browsers to test.

Please, telling me that CNET is slow doesn't help without example links.

Any example would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Lee

Collapse -
Lee, I Don't Think It's HOSTS File Issues, Unless...

In reply to: Can you please provide some example pages?

...there is one particular blocked site/script which is causing the issue.. I've got three machines here which use HPHost's 7 MB HOSTS file.. Currently, it's got over 230,000 "bad" site entries and as stated earlier, my machines aren't having any problems. It blocks a lot of ads and ad-redirects from the CNET forums but it doesn't seem to affect web page loading significantly.

Just a note for those troubleshooting this issue... regarding a large HOSTS file, One entry surveys.cnet.com did seem to load a little slow so I edited that particular entry out of my HOSTS files.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Intruding here so my apologies,

In reply to: Can you please provide some example pages?

but did you notice where the poster said, "Meanwhile, it would be nice if Cnet/Download.com fixed the problem."

His post here; http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5280065.html

Download.com. I wonder if he is narrowing his particular problem down to one particular part of CNET, and if so whether this is a problem with speeds of downloads for him?

Collapse -
Yes I did see that , but all of Download.com is slow?

In reply to: Intruding here so my apologies,

There are dozen and dozen, maybe even a hundred or so Download.com pages and I'm trying to get examples so I can narrow it down--slow pages can possibly be caused by ads and depending on the page, the target ads are different. So example URL would help.

Just to give some examples of different download.com pages, and I've only scratched the surface...

http://download.cnet.com/windows/

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2012/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2012/9241-2239_4-12367242.html?messageID=10842370

http://download.cnet.com/mobile/other-games/3150-20416_4-0-1-4.html

http://download.cnet.com/windows/security-software/

http://download.cnet.com/mac/

http://download.cnet.com/Amazon-Cloud-Drive/3000-2248_4-75445134.html

http://download.cnet.com/download-blog/

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-57387783-12/disney-debuts-storybook-apps-for-lion-king-tangled/

http://download.cnet.com/mobile-downloads/

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to edit link on 02/29/2012 at 2:08 PM PT

Collapse -
examples

In reply to: Yes I did see that , but all of Download.com is slow?

I'm going to try here again, as "CNET" has again become "slower than dirt." I am using Safari (took over a minute to load www.cnet.com), and Firefox (took 3 minutes to load THIS page). My service runs in the 25Mbps range. Amazon loads immediately. The last few days CNET has been unusable. Firefox seemed to be getting hung up on "dw.com.com," if that makes any sense. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Answer
Firefox and Opera will BOTH ...

In reply to: Why is the CNET website so slow?

handle CNET (and many other URLs) better, quicker and faster (there is a difference between the two) that MSIE.

Personally I like MSIE for many of the things I do on the net but long ago found that some sites just plain work better with other browsers so using the best browser for any specific site or purpose just makes good sense.

You might also try Google Chrome - I do not like it but many others do (a matter of personal taste and preferences).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.