Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Why is the CNET forum layout "the suck"?

by robear2k7 / September 15, 2006 6:55 AM PDT

Look, I love CNET. I've always used the reviews for my purchases. I'm a long time BOL listener, and don't miss an episode.

That said, I shy away from the forums because I can't stand the layout. It's really clunky and each page is way too busy for housing a few small lines of text that I care about. And worst of all, why can't I view all the responses in a thread on one page, like every other forum around?

I know it's not directly a BOL issue, and I bet TMV don't have too much say in the formatting, but am I the only one that feels this way?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is the CNET forum layout "the suck"?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is the CNET forum layout "the suck"?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ah crap here we go again.
by csliva11 / September 15, 2006 7:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Has this been covered already?
by robear2k7 / September 15, 2006 7:08 AM PDT

If so, sorry.

Collapse -
Yah, but it's ok
by MacHugger / September 15, 2006 7:32 AM PDT

The more people who voice that opinion, the sooner we might likely see the changes they're apparently working on.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
Because CNET Doesn't Care
by pkscout / September 15, 2006 7:31 AM PDT

I can only assume at this point that C|net doesn't care that the forums blow chunks. They're hard to navigate, it's impossible to scan a thread (you have to click about 700 times to read every message in a thread), and it's still way to easy to start a new thread instead of replying to an existing one.

There are a number of really good free (and/or opensource) solutions that would work much better.

Oh well.

Collapse -
For the Record...
by dmdzine / September 15, 2006 7:36 AM PDT

I am in complete agreement, not that my opinion counts - but just for the record... Wink

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I agree completely.
by gogomama / September 15, 2006 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: For the Record...
Collapse -
Don't fear guys
by SantiagoCrespo / September 15, 2006 8:50 AM PDT

Lots of changes coming soon to a forum page near you.

Collapse -
That's nice to hear...
by robear2k7 / September 15, 2006 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't fear guys

but can you give us any juicy details?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) santiago to the rescue
by Jonathan.C / September 17, 2006 7:37 AM PDT
Collapse -
Still fearful
by Oakraidr / September 18, 2006 1:12 AM PDT

Any leaks to report?

CNET loves to get leaks, why not spring one of your own.

Type of forum, will it be what most readers/poster want?

Do we get to post an avatar?

Can post whores keep track of the number of posts?

Will t-shirt winners get a special title?

Collapse -
Yes, CNET forum layout suck, and should change.
by jprkenny / September 18, 2006 4:48 PM PDT

The only thing I find wrong with the CNET forums is the way they don't take up the entire screen and there are too many banner advertisements and especially those flash based ones, stop it CNET just use static banners don't uses those flashy ones because it gets too distracting to read the content on the page.

One other thing Why use side bars, like the ones on the side here it looks boring why not use top links with fancy drop down menus that link to other forums why not take advantage and make CNET look like a true tech site and not a typical website a WYSIWYG editor made.

I still love CNET but you get sick of looking at a orange/yellow background and Arial font text, use other colors and text or give the option to change styles on a page like they do on webshots where you can change the color theme of the website with the click of your mouse like stylesheet switching.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!