The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Why is NASA going to the Moon? Read all about it....

The hows/whys of NASA returning to the Moon...
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/exploration/mmb/why_moon.html

Why The Moon?

If you asked 100 people why we should return to the moon, you'd probably get 100 answers - or more! Over the past year, NASA posed this question not just to 100 people, but to more than 1,000 from around the world. Scientists, engineers, commercial entrepreneurs, space advocates, and the general public all provided answers to this intriguing question.

Starting with just their responses, NASA worked with 13 of the world's space agencies to develop a Global Exploration Strategy. The strategy explains why the global community believes we should explore space, how space exploration can benefit life on Earth, and how the moon can play a critical role in our exploration of the solar system. One of the primary activities the global space community pursued in 2006 was to answer the questions, "Why should we return to the Moon?" and "What do we hope to accomplish through lunar exploration?"

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is NASA going to the Moon? Read all about it....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is NASA going to the Moon? Read all about it....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll be honest about this...

In reply to: Why is NASA going to the Moon? Read all about it....

...I think the main reason we are making noises about returning to the moon is that China has been talking about going there. The original Apollo program was more about the Cold War and less about science. I'm a big enough fan of human exploration to say that whatever gets these programs on track is OK by me. I just have to question whether NASA has the capability of running a large-scale project anymore.

Collapse -
;o) yeah, there's probably validity to that; voice opinion.

In reply to: I'll be honest about this...

If you pay U.S. taxes - send your ideas and interests on NASA to congress and tell your friends to do the same. It's YOUR space program!

If only for a couple full weeks the tech community comes out with their opinions, concerns, ideas, and questions about the space research and exploration by whatever space agency - that would make a LARGE impact.

If you'd like to do something exciting to put on your resume' and if you or others you know are able to set-up a conference in real-life, Second-life, etc. - go for it. I'd lend a hand and I'll let my other space industry pals in on it to.

Collapse -
Go for the geopolitics, stay for the science

In reply to: I'll be honest about this...

Although I agree that the initiation for our return to the moon was the emergence of China as a competitor in space exploration, I do not think this discounts any of the exciting science that will take place. This is a win-win for the United States. For reasons that sadden me, the promise of long-term technological advance is not enough to motivate the government to support exploration, so now we have an incentive to get it done.

Collapse -
Actually it's all explained in the old TV series....

In reply to: Why is NASA going to the Moon? Read all about it....

This wikipedia link talks about the old TV series where all is explained. I just lucked out and watched the entire series and found interesting coincidences such as the following items.

The Delta Clipper reusable single stage to orbit launch vehicle is found in one of the last episodes.

The moon shuttle concept is strangely reminiscent of the SpaceShipOne and the White Knight combo that won the X-prize.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.