Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Why is my xp home COA key invalid?

Hey, everybody. I have a problem...i have an HP computer which has it's on COA on it. Unfortunately, greedy HP does not give you any restore disks or the XP cd on this computer. It was bought new at the store. Too much junk was on it, so I reformated and since I didn't have an XP cd thanks to HP...I borrowed a CD trying to reinstall windows. I reinstalled it....however my COA product key is not working for this computer when I activate it online. What do i need to do...is there a way to activate xp with my COA key? Or do I need to call microsoft and have them activate it for me?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my xp home COA key invalid?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my xp home COA key invalid?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would make the call

In reply to: Why is my xp home COA key invalid?

It's free, and you have the COA on the box, so Microsoft should be helpful.

But I suspect there is something in that reformat and reinstall that went wrong. If your HP has an OEM version of XP on it then using another XP CD from another machine usually only works if that other machine is identical to yours.

Manufacturers nowadays usually do not supply those disks automatically. You need that XP CD and the Drivers CD for the future, so I would ask HP to supply them to you. There may be a small charge.

Mark

Collapse -
Today, they have you make the restore CDs.

If you don't then you run into your issue. Be prepared to order those restore CDs. Can I ask why you didn't make them?
Bob

Collapse -
It's not invalid

It's not invalid, it's just invalid for the way you're trying to do it.

There are at least three versions of both XP Home and Pro. There's the regular retail version (and I'm including the "full" and upgrade versions in that), the standard OEM, and then the volume license.

You have a volume license key, which will NOT work on any of the other versions.

Also, yes HP is greedy, and yes they make horrible quality systems, BUT this one really is mostly your fault. Everything you should have needed to make your own XP reinstall disc was included with the system, save for a blank CD. If you had poked around a bit, you most likely would have found a program for creating your own recovery discs. Yes, HP and other computer makers could make this fact a little more obvious to people who foolishly buy their systems, but that doesn't do you any good now.

So, as suggested, I would call HP up and request copies of the restore media. Usually it costs somewhere between 20-50USD, which is a bargain compared to buying a new copy of XP.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.