Question

why is my mac is spacing out?

Recently i have noticed my imac has been soo slow when responding to actions when i try to navigate around. It's like it has a mind of its own. I will click on something once and nothing will happen and i would have to keep clicking untill it gives in like 10 clicks later(its like my comp is daydreaming).

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: why is my mac is spacing out?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: why is my mac is spacing out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are you one of those people who use the

little red button at the top left of the window to close applications?

- Collapse -
Answer
We need a bit more information.

Please tell us what OS version you are using, the amount of RAM you have installed. Both of these can be found by accessing the About this Mac from your Apple menu.

Also, are you running other programs while this is happening?

It maybe that you need to repair permissions and delete caches. You can download Onyx and do it through that program.

As a temporary workaround, I'd select a group of items by click and drag, and then copying them to the external drive.

- Collapse -
Answer
Another thought on the problem.

Do you have a lot of files on the desktop? That will also eat up memory and slow your computer down. If you do, move all the files, and folders to your Documents folder on your harddrive.

- Collapse -
Answer
Try Restarting

I find that my machine (incidentally, a 1974 G5 on OS 10.5.8, son to be replaced by the new iMac) goes slightly crazy now and then if it has been running (including sleeping) for about a 1 1/2 or 2 days. Eg., the optical disc drive re-closes immediately, applications respond in an odd way, a file does not appear on the Desktop despite being saved there, the spinning beachball goes on for ever.) I restart and all is well. This has been a feature of my Mac experience since 1995 with several macs. With the Classic OS (predecessor of OS X) an American Apple tech guru at a Mac World conference advised restarting a Mac every 5 or so hours, but Classic was a notoriously unreliable OS. I suspect that (even OS X) collects gunge after a day or so which needs clearing out. That may be one of the reasons that servers (always on) need a server version of the OS.

- Collapse -
Hopefully that 1974 date is a typo

either that or you are friends with Dr. Emmett Brown. Grin

- Collapse -
Answer
OS version etc..

Sorry for the delay im not sure how to use this site just yet haha

- Collapse -
Mouse

Should we assume that you've ruled out the mouse itself as an issue? Mice do go bad. Especialy buttons and scrollwheels.

- Collapse -
=/

ruling out the mouse..idk. I dont have another mouse to compare too see if its thats the real problem. The batteries are still good. I highly doubt it is the mouse. The response time is just so horrible sometimes.

CNET Forums