Question

Why is my internet dropping out every night? Help!

Hello everyone, first off i really appreciate all those people who take the time to read all of this, and especially to those who reply, i really do mean that.

For the past month and a half our internet drops out every single night. Relentless. We should be getting around 10mbps and we get 0. Recently i had called enough to get their attention and they sent a tech out during the night when we were having problems, he tested a pole and said he had perfect connection. So they replaced all the cable from that pole to our house and gave us a new DOCSIS3 modem, since our old one was a DOCSIS1 and they just upgraded everything. Even after doing that we are still experiencing problems.

My question is to you, what could be causing this? They say they have replaced everything yet here we are still having problems. Ive bypassed the router and had a wired connection to the modem and still have the same issue.

My ISP is clueless on what to do, they told me that they have done everything they can and that im basically out of luck, i can deal with it, try to fix it on my own, or cancel.

Ive posted on numerous forums, chat rooms, talked to people, no one has given me any useful information yet.

Modem - Arris (DOCSIS3). our old modem was a scientific atlanta. (DOCSIS1)

Router - Cisco Linksys E1500

If you need any other information dont be afraid to ask, im desperate to fix this! Im basically on my own.

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Why is my internet dropping out every night? Help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why is my internet dropping out every night? Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
(NT) Did you try it without wifi or a router?
- Collapse -
Direct connection to modem, still slow speeds.

Yes, i plugged directly into the modem and unplugged my router, same problem.

- Collapse -
Good find. It's now an ISP issue.

Since all PCs using their gear are slow using the direct connection, it's their issue and not yours to solve.

I can't look any deeper into this given the story so far but it is clearly an ISP problem to solve. That is, unless all the PCs are very very old.
Bob

- Collapse -
Anything would help, no matter how small you think it is

I can assure you they are not old haha. That is what i thought, but they told me they have replaced everything and there is nothing else they can do, which is why i am here. They told me to call an electrician, computer tech, etc.. which doesnt make sense, its their problem yet they are telling me to contact 3rd party companies to fix it. They tested a pole, and it was fine, so they replaced everything from there to the house, and the modem, and plugged directly into the modem i still have slow speeds, any ideas? anything could be the fix, no matter how small you think it is.

- Collapse -
But who are they?

There are some ISPs that are just bad. I also see no details about the PCs so I can't comment about the PC.
Bob

- Collapse -
Company name, and all devices connected to the network

ISP - Direct Communications

We have 2 laptops, 4 iphones and 1 ipod.

We have had a lot of rain so i was thinking that there could be a leak in a box that allows water to come in at night and may cause short circuiting but then drys out when its hot during the day.

Ask for any information, and i will do my best to get it for you.

- Collapse -
Hey I'm in SD.
- Collapse -
Thats not what my ISP is telling me

My ISP basically told me they have done/replaced everything they can. They said i have either 2 choices. Figure it out on my own, or cancel. Its probably something simple like a box that gets water in it when its cold at night.

- Collapse -
Let's say it's that.

I know folk that become an IT person over issues like that, but if their gear stops working, it's their issue. You have more than one laptop and they all fail at that time so I'm unconvinced it's your PC.
Bob

- Collapse -
It's a joke!

I completely agree with you! They have basically told me they arent going to do anything more since they said it was working in one spot and replaced everything from there to the house. Its probably a box, or exposed wire, or a tap that is lose.

Im just confused on what to do since my ISP said they wont do anything else.

- Collapse -
I'd buy

my own modem and router, that way I know the gear (even though it's new) isn't the culprit.

Digger

- Collapse -
Suggestions on equipment?

Any ideas on a good modem/router to buy? I'm just afraid that if i do out and buy my own that i will still have the problem.

- Collapse -
Dont replace the modem

Its their issue not yours if they want your business they'll find the problem. If they cant find it then you need to get a different service provider. I really believe wireless data service to be most reliable. Honestly when I don't get service I use my internet mobile hotspot off my phone and its faster than my service with 10 megs. I usually get above 14 with my phone.

- Collapse -
3g service

I had a company 3 g service that I never had issues with they had a transmitter centrally located in the house and was a great service, till they were bought out and dropped the home computer part of their service. They also had IP address thing where it said I was 100 miles away from where I lived and I got very little spam email or advertisements (guess that is why they failed)

- Collapse -
your own stuff

yes buy your own stuff and hope the ISP do not upgrade out of your tech level. With your stuff you save the monthly fee and worthless IT support from most ISP

- Collapse -
Cut cables

A lot of time when cables get cut by underground workers, if and when the technicians splice these cables back underground, if they aren't done perfectly it can cause lines to interfere with one another etc. No reason to think it is your fault when its only occurring at night or certain times of the evening. They have got to have someone with the right no how to figure it out but it may be way too expensive for them to spend that kind of money and time manpower to repair the problem.

- Collapse -
Answer
When I purchased

my own modem and router, I got a list of what works from my ISP , in my case ,the cable company.
After you install your own gear you have to call the ISP and have them activate it...
It saved me rental fees too.

Digger

- Collapse -
Might be worth a shot.

I might try it, just afraid that ill go out and spent that money for nothing, any other suggestions?

- Collapse -
Change ISP

that's all I got

Digger

- Collapse -
Would pictures help?

Do you think pictures would help? I could go out and take pictures of where they replaced everything, maybe you could see something out of place. Or would you not have any idea of what to look for haha.

- Collapse -
Nope

you need someone there to check connections, pics can't do that

Digger

- Collapse -
Don't know if my ISP is up for that.

My ISP has basically given up, and especially since it only happens at night, very unlikely to get another tech out here during that time.

- Collapse -
Answer
Let's clear up something.

Slow is very common with overloaded ISPs today due to Netflix streaming in the evening.

In your post you wrote drops out, and them later slow. Which is it? The evening slowness is not a modem or cable issue here but an overloaded ISP.
Bob

- Collapse -
Slow to drops out.

First it gets very slow. We should be getting around 10mbps and when it goes bad we get around nothing. Speed tests come in around 0.09 etc. Basically meaning you cant load anything. Then later on throughout the evening it completely drops out, says no internet access. Then doesn't come online until 10ish the next morning. They say we are the only ones having problems on the line.

- Collapse -
Re: slow

Let them try with their own laptop between 10 pm and 10 am. 8.30 am is a decemt time to send a tech (first job in the morning), but I'd start asking a visit 8 am latest.

Kees

- Collapse -
He did.

He came out at 9pm when the connection was bad, he tested 2 poles away and had good connections, he also brought a tech with him and they both say that we were getting bad signals. So he tried having the tech move the ports around/coding etc. Everything he tried didnt get us a good signal, so they said since it works where we tested, were going to replace everything from where its good to your house.

Didnt solve anything. Could something around the modem be causing this?

I took status reports of the modem page during the day when it was good, and then at night when it was bad, i also have the event log if you want to see that.

- Collapse -
Re: he did

That's a bad repair if they didn't check the results in your house when they were ready. Let them try again and this time do it right.

Kees

- Collapse -
Hard when its at night

The problem only happens at night, which is when all their techs work, they dont do night calls, so its hard for them to pinpoint the exact problem. I asked them if they would give me a signal reader or something so i can look if they arent going to send a tech out at night. They guy just laughed.

- Collapse -
Problem is

When they test the lines if its not doing it they wont see any issues . They have to be constantly testing it to view the issue as it occurs. I think its too much traffic on the lines in your area. You see back in the old days a home may have had 1 TV in the home but never like it is now with lots of devices. The infrastructure isn't made to handle all this traffic at peak hours. Its all I got to say. They lll feed you all kinds of crap to keep you paying your bill but youll never get relief until you change providers that use a different source to get data into your home

- Collapse -
Then it's still not you.

Make sure you are not paying for non-service days. It's one of the ways they escalate to better techs.

As presented it's not your gear at all. It doesn't rain much here (I supplied which ISP I guessed it was above.) Time to cut them loose.
Bob

CNET Forums