Avast & AVG forum

Question

Why is my facebook site so slow after installing AVG?

by pcwhisper / April 21, 2011 2:21 PM PDT

IBM-dt-XP...Loading AVG free was not easy and running AVG PC tune-up was an accident waiting to happen! But...I got it accomplished... why make it so difficult to download a program? Now after all this...my facebook account will not work as it should. If I page up or down it takes forever for the page to move. This has been a flustrating experience to say the least. At one time AVG was simple and trouble free...WHAT HAPPENED?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is my facebook site so slow after installing AVG?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is my facebook site so slow after installing AVG?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
RE: Why is my facebook site so slow after installing AVG?
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / April 22, 2011 1:22 AM PDT

Hello pcwhisper,
I was not able to induce the situation in my environment, unfortunately. Could you please try to pinpoint which AVG component is slowing the Facebook page down by disabling them one by one as described in this How-To article? Are there any other websites affected too?
Also, please provide us with an msinfo32 output and with a complete list of used browser addons/extensions (including their exact versions). As it is not possible to attach files on this forum, please upload the msinfo output to some online storage service and post here a link to the uploaded file.
Thank you.

Collapse -
I found the problem but now another question.
by pcwhisper / April 22, 2011 5:42 AM PDT

The problem is with Link Scanner...when Search Shield is not active...my Facebook page works fine, Do you still need the msinfo32 output to correct the problem or should I just leave the search shield turned off?
Thank you so much for your help!

Collapse -
Same issue, with OS / Browser ver included.
by TheMister123 / May 8, 2011 7:19 AM PDT

I am having the exact same issue, having installed the latest update yesterday (5/7/2011). Facebook gets stuck for several seconds at a time every time I do something in FB, even something as simple as scrolling down. On Windows 7, IE8.

Collapse -
Same issue, with OS / Browser ver included.
by Ondrej_AVG / May 8, 2011 4:18 PM PDT

Hello TheMister123,

Collapse -
Same issue, with OS / Browser ver included
by TheMister123 / May 9, 2011 2:45 AM PDT

Thanks, but I can't use the "msinfo32 output" instructions as specified in your link - my home PC is Windows 7, but the instructions are for versions of Windows prior to 7.

Collapse -
Re: msinfo32
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 9, 2011 2:51 AM PDT

Windows 7 comes with that program. What happened when you ran it?

Kees

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Disable AVG
by iGennie / April 21, 2011 8:39 PM PDT

try to run facebook after disabling AVG..and are other websites working right??

Collapse -
Didn't work...
by pcwhisper / April 22, 2011 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Disable AVG

I tried this but it didn't work...thanks for your input!

Collapse -
Avg & Facebook
by wbrown100 / May 22, 2011 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work...

The same problem happened to me and when I switched to firefox the problem was gone. My facebook works faster than ever!

Collapse -
Re: AVG & Facebook
by Ondrej_AVG / May 22, 2011 4:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Avg & Facebook

Hello wbrown100,

Collapse -
Please explain in easy terms how to resolve issue
by newmoose / May 25, 2011 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: AVG & Facebook

I am having the same issues trying to look at facebook. It is causing me *major* problems and I do a lot of work through facebook (and other networking sites)
I see you acknowledge there is a performance issue, but I don't understand what the workaround is? How do I disable the AVG search shield ???
In simple, easy to follow terms please

Collapse -
RE: Please explain in easy terms how to resolve issue
by Dusan_AVG / May 25, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

Hello newmoose,

1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click on Tools - Manage Add-ons.
3. Click on AVG Safe Search addon and then click on Disable.
4. Click on Close and restart Internet Explorer (Close it and open it again).

If you do not see Tools in step 2. press left alt key to display it.

Thank you

Collapse -
Answer
Re: I found the problem but now another question.
by Ondrej_AVG / April 25, 2011 3:37 PM PDT

Hello pcwhisper,

Collapse -
Same issue, resolved by disabling Search-Shield
by DarrelH / May 15, 2011 3:07 PM PDT

I have the MSInfo32 output. Give me a location to send it, and it's yours.

Freshly rebuilt Win 7 Ent, 2.9 WEI, thought speed drop was due to IE9 upgrade (after I installed AVG). Rolled IE9 back, crazy slow IE speeds remained. Facebook was the most highly impacted site that I'm aware of, but performance was less than stellar elsewhere as well.

I'm a software dev w/QA background and am willing to work with you to test/report on the problem.

Collapse -
RE: Same issue, resolved by disabling Search-Shield
by Dusan_AVG / May 16, 2011 4:12 AM PDT

Hello DarrelH,

Firstly make sure that your AVG is 10.0.1375.
If not it is possible to perform repair installation with 1375 installation package.

Afterwards please upload the MSinfo file to your favourite online storage service and provide us with link.

Also provide us with all AVG log files right after inducing the issue (Browsing Facebook).
Log files location:
C:\ProgramData\AVG10\Log

Compress the files and upload them in one archive with MSinfo output.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Collapse -
RE: Same issue, resolved by disabling Search-Shield
by DarrelH / May 22, 2011 4:50 PM PDT

Since my reply, I decided to go back to IE9, and it's been fine. Got the notice of your reply today, so I checked. I have 1375. I'm also running 64bit, so your path is not valid, but there is no log directory under the (x86) folder either.

I re-enabled Search-Shield, ensured all browsers were closed, but could not reproduce the problem. I rebooted, went back into IE9... still unable to recreate the issue.

Here is the sequence from build to now: If your 1375 update on 5/10 resolved the update, I won't be able to recreate the slowness.

5/1 - Build fresh Win 7 Ent 64 system.
5/1 - Installed AVG (1325?)
5/2 - Installed IE9 - Slowness observed
5/9 - Rolled back to IE8 - Slowness still present
5/15 - Disabled Search-Shield - slowness went away
5/22 - Re-enabled Search-Shield - no slowness observed

I'm keeping it enabled, and will monitor performance. If the slowdown reappears, I will follow up providing you give me the updated log folder location for 64bit systems.

Collapse -
Log files location
by Dusan_AVG / May 23, 2011 6:20 AM PDT

Hello DarrelH,

C:\ProgramData\AVG10\Log
This location is valid for both x86 and x64 systems.

Please note the difference of path from C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).

It may be necessary to display hidden files and folders to be able to see ProgramData folder.

Thank you

Collapse -
Uh... you sure?
by DarrelH / May 23, 2011 2:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Log files location

Hidden folders are viewable to me. On a whim I even enabled viewing system folders. No dice. I accepted all defaults during install, and my folder structure doesn't match what you are claiming should exist.

"C:\Program Files" contains NO AVG*
"C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10" contains NO Log folder.

And now you have me doubting your ability. Please restore my faith in this thread.

Collapse -
Ahh... never mind
by DarrelH / May 23, 2011 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Uh... you sure?

I see you guys aknolwedged the problem in another reply. Funny, didn't really seem to be in the release notes.

Collapse -
RE: Uh... you sure?
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / May 23, 2011 5:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Uh... you sure?

Hello DarrelH,

please note that Dusan advised to search in the C:\ProgramData\AVG10\Log folder while you appear to be looking in Program Files (x86). I'm quite sure that this system folder is there (on Windows 7 x64), because it is crucial for proper applications run. It is hidden by default.

Please be informed that Release notes contain only list of already fixed issues for the relevant AVG program version. No list of known issues is available. There are weekly updates on the most reported issues in this AVG Free Forum thread though (titled as Weekly Overview):
http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=theme&act=show&id=221

Thank you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.