Question

Why Is My Disk Usage At 100%?

So I haven't had this problem until getting Windows 10.

My startup used to be fast and I can go about doing my business in about 1 minute on startup. Now, everything is just absolutely bogged down. My Disk stays at about 100% for a good 10 minutes of my computer starting up.

I have disabled Windows Search and SuperFetch along with 'disable tips for Windows 10'.

Just a few suggestion I have ran into and nothing has worked.

I open my task manager during the 100% disk usage time and nothing is over .3mb, so I have no idea what is up with it.

Any ideas here?

AMD 6300 Six-Core Processor
8GB RAM
Windows 10
64 Bit OS

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why Is My Disk Usage At 100%?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why Is My Disk Usage At 100%?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I agree. Tough to nail down what it is.

However I did luck out on one machine like this that we caught the HDD spinning down unexpectedly. That was my clue something was up with the HDD. The Seagate HDD (no I don't own it so I can't supply it for Seagate to test) passed the maker's testing but failed to clone. So it was a mess to move to the new drive.

New drive installed and after a hard long clone job (finally worked) the new drive is not showing the 100% disk usage.

Make what you will on this. Also, the 100% use was spotted on W7 and W8. Now that I've cured it more than once with a new HDD, I'm going to keep trying that. HDDs are cheap. Diagnostics and shop time isn't.

- Collapse -
Answer
How to stop Disk Usage At 100% in Windows 10

I went around with this for hours with my VIAO, and did all the Net recommends; turned off SuperFetch, notifications, et al.. Finally I disabled the IAStorIcon.exe and like a miracle it is down to 0%-5% on idle with no programs running, after initial startup.

Just a hint, I had to change the settings in the registery because SuperFetch kept turning itself back on.

And for good measure run a full security scan and then make sure it is not running on 'full scan' mode all the time.

CNET Forums