Question

WHY IS HALF OF MY KEY BOARD STUCK USEING FUNCTION KEYS?

I HAVE A ACER NETBOOK, RUNNING WINDOWS 7 AND HALF OF THE KEY BOARDON THE RIGHT SIDE IS ONLY USEING THE FUNCTIONS INSTEAD OF THE LETTERS. EVEN THE NUMBER KEYS ON THAT HALF ARE USEING THE FUNCTION KEYS. I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON. I'VE TRIED HITTING FUNCTION FIVE TIMES TO FORCE IT TO WORK BUT IT ONLY PUTS THE WHOLE KEY BOARD IN FUNCTION MODE.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: WHY IS HALF OF MY KEY BOARD STUCK USEING FUNCTION KEYS?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: WHY IS HALF OF MY KEY BOARD STUCK USEING FUNCTION KEYS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sounds like a chip failure

If it is a perfect half of the keyboard that is doing this, a chip could have failed on the keyboard. Another possibility could be that something has been spilled on the keyboard. I have seen many that where suffering from the soft drink syndrome. I was able to disassemble them, clean them and all was well. If the unit is under warranty taking it apart will void the warranty, but so will spillage. If the unit is out of warranty you might think about buying a new one, then have fun taking the old one apart and seeing what you find. If it is a spillage problem and it is sugar based only soap and water and a very long drying period can remove the substance.

- Collapse -
thank you

thanx for the advise. i will send it back to get fixed cause it is still under warranty and im sure nothing was spilled on it. i was thinking it would be some thing like a virus but im not good when it comes to diagnosing pc's. thank you though your reply was very usefull. Cool

- Collapse -
Answer

try shift+fn+f11

CNET Forums