Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Why is Google search box now anticipating my queries?

by mike62 / July 21, 2006 4:27 AM PDT

Is it something I have done accidently? I run XP and Google is my only search engine. I do not use the Google desktop just saved as a favorite. All of a sudden the other night it began logging every entry I made into the search box. I can't think of the correct term for this but you know what I mean if I search once for "Paris" and my next search is for "pants" it tries to offer Paris in the drop down.

How do I turn this off?

Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Autocomplete...
by John.Wilkinson / July 21, 2006 4:49 AM PDT

This is the Autocomplete option, suggesting previous search terms for convince sake. However, it can also be annoying and a privacy issue.

If you are using Google.com with Internet Explorer, go Tools->Internet Options->Content, and click AutoComplete. On the next window you can click Clear Forms to erase previously-stored data, then uncheck all boxes to disable it. Note that this affects all sites, not just Google.

If this is Firefox, go Tools->Options->Privacy->Saved Forms, then uncheck the box and click the Clear button. Note that this affects all sites, not just Google.

If this is the Google toolbar, click on the Google logo and then select the appropriate option from the drop-down menu.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks
by mike62 / July 21, 2006 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Autocomplete...

Thanks John for reminding me of the term (auto complete) and how to stop it. Your are correct it is annoying to put it mildly.

Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!