Computer Help forum

General discussion

Why is computer trying to log on to intenet?

by jbrown35 / November 7, 2003 1:01 PM PST

I use windows98 and have a dialup internet connection. A few weeks ago the computer started trying to dialup without my clicking on anything to connect. This all started after an update on McAfee. I have selected for it not to update automatically. I tried getting them to figure this out but after 12 emails with 12 people all with different answers that didn't work - I give up on them.

I have now completely uninstalled Mcafee. I also went to my task manager and deleted the HP update task from it.

This was my only problem for several weeks then suddenly I was bombarded with pop ups (so many you couldn't get rid of them) even when I wasn't online. I have downloaded spybot and ran it but some of the same ones keep coming back. I ran Mcafee virus and spyware. Deleted and immunized on both. Now I have downloaded a trial version of Norton and it found nothing. I did a search for Gator on my computer and deleted most files it found. I seem to have gotten rid of most of the popups. Still getting the ***** Enlargement ones and the evidence eliminator but its better and I got rid of the I hate Pop Ups one!!

But now how can I get it to stop trying to connect all the time? One of McAfee suggestions was to check it to never dial a connection but then I coudn't get on the internet. It has always been checked to dial my default and has worked fine for years.

Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is computer trying to log on to intenet?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is computer trying to log on to intenet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Why is computer trying to log on to intenet?
by Coryphaeus / November 7, 2003 1:55 PM PST

You need at least these three programs running.

SpyBot, Spyware Blaster, and AdAware. You also need to install ZoneAlarm firewall.

After the first three have run and cleaned your system, install ZA. The free version is great. Now, if any program tries to access the internet ZA will alert you. You can allow or deny, and you'll know if any spyware is still on your system.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Jbrown, Following Coryphaeus' Lead Here...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 8, 2003 3:45 AM PST

....There is an excellent bit of information regarding spyware and virus removal programs at the link below. (The links are provided for the ones Coryphaeus provided.) Install the programs, update them when necessary, then run them. Delete all "junk" that is found.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

Spyware and viruses/trojans will frequently try to access the internet at start up and could be causing the issue.

One more possibility, if you've got Outlook Express, or Microsoft Outlook loading at start up, you need to make sure that they aren't set to automatically connect at start up. For example: Open Outlook Express, click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Options" from the menu. When that loads, on the "General" tab, UNCHECK the box that says: "Send and Receive Messages at Start Up", then click on "Apply", then Ok.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Why is computer trying to log on to intenet?
by zzz1 / September 9, 2004 12:30 PM PDT

Go ahead and check the never dial a connection. Go to My Compter, choose dialup networking, open and creat shortcut with your ISP icon. It will place the dialup icon on the desktop and all you have to do is '2' click the icon and your dialup connection is ready to use, just tell it to "DIAL". have fun.

Collapse -
Re: Why is computer trying to log on to intenet?
by joetechno / October 7, 2004 10:19 PM PDT

Control Panel/Internet Options/Connections. Here you will see if your comp is set to dial the internet automatically, probably set by some program. Click the button of your choice. I just checked mine and for some reason it was set to dial automatically whenever a connection is not present, I don't know why. If your looking for free antivirus and firewall software go to MajorGeeks.com.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.