Speakeasy forum

Rant

Why is CNET running an Obama add?

Today (June 26, 2012), even when I refresh, I keep getting the same anti-Romney add on the home page that says it's paid for by Obama for America. Is CNET taking a partisan stance? How about you stick to technology?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why is CNET running an Obama add?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why is CNET running an Obama add?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You mean One plus Two? Addition?

In reply to: Why is CNET running an Obama add?

And since this is a CBS network system, anyone can buy time or eyeballs!

Collapse -
In the meantime, R.,

In reply to: You mean One plus Two? Addition?

90-plus comments already, to an OP involving a simple misunderstanding. Good ol' SE ...
I got some gasoline here- got a fire I can throw it on? Happy

Collapse -
It has been noticed before

Collapse -
Right. Not like the old days, when

In reply to: It has been noticed before

Ziff and Davis ran things. Happy

(A Mod, long ago, thought I was serious in ascribing something to Mr. Ziff, as if he was Lee. Happy )

Collapse -
I just logged on using IE with no ad blocking....

....and didn't see any ads (one "d" in that word by the way) for anything non-technical.

Cnet isn't a news organization; it would be another story if, for example, the Fox News website accepted ads from Romney. Not that they have to, since they're basically an arm of his campaign anyway. Wink

Collapse -
My apologies

In reply to: I just logged on using IE with no ad blocking....

"Ad" not "Add"

Collapse -
Too late! We don't forgive on SE!

In reply to: My apologies

Happy
Collapse -
An Arm of his Campaign anyway????

In reply to: I just logged on using IE with no ad blocking....

Like NBC, ABC, CBS, and MSNBC aren't appendages of BO's and the left and have been since ... forever?

Collapse -
Oh come on, Toni...

In reply to: An Arm of his Campaign anyway????

... have you not been following all the news from England? Murdoch has all but admitted in official hearings that he has a history of meddling in that nations politics through judicious spin of his news empire. You think his approach to creating headlines is gonna be radically different in the USA ?

Collapse -
I repeat

In reply to: Oh come on, Toni...

Like NBC, ABC, CBS, and MSNBC and the left and have been doing since ... forever?

Collapse -
So you admit....

In reply to: I repeat

....that Fox is biased. Good.

Collapse -
I have never denied

In reply to: So you admit....

that there are some anchors and commentators who are biased on the Conservative side....however, the FoxNews programs also have a number of guest contributors and people on their payroll that are also decidedly Liberals that give their point of view. With the MSM news shows, nearly every person you see giving an opinion or is an anchor is very obviously and openly biased to the left. So if you compare Fox percentage-wise with MSM, including cable but not including radio, the news sources are running at least five to one against Conservative news shows......not to mention at least 90% of television entertainment shows both on MSM and cable that are pointedly left leaning. Until FoxNews cable came out, there weren't any Conservative news shows on the air so people ONLY got a left leaning slant on the news....which easily swayed voters left for years.

Collapse -
So what's the difference between

In reply to: I have never denied

some anchors and commentators who are biased

AND

nearly every person you see giving an opinion or is an anchor

give us some figures/percentages/names/examples to work with. Not to be confused with you picking numbers out of thin air. And try and prove cause and effect of these interviews/comments.

Don't forget to take into consideration Fox News Marks a Decade at No. 1 in Cable News and voter/viewers ONLY got a left leaning slant on the news....which easily swayed voters left for years.

IF you think the left wing media (NOT number 1 source of news) controls voters....How did Bush get elected?

AND

For those that think FOX (number 1 NEWS) sways voters....How did Obama get elected?

The news can influence/sway voter...but not enough to change an election result.
Collapse -
what's the difference

In reply to: So what's the difference between

between a reporter and a commentator and when should such distinction be made to the public?

Collapse -
A reporter is supposed to be a person who researches and

In reply to: what's the difference

reports on a story in an unbiased manner, giving all the information, and both sides of the story. They are assigned by an editor at a newspaper, or news director at a TV station. A commentator is a guest brought in to discuss an issue, and is not an employee of the news station or network, but already has a political point of view, is often a representative of a Political Party and delivers the "evidence" for his side of an issue. Television Hosts and News Readers or Anchors for News programs are supposed to encourage discussion from commentators for each side and not express preferences. Fox hosts are all Republican supporters, and frequently interfere in discussions on the side of the commentators for the Republican side of an issue, and interrupt the commentators on the Democratic side. Their preference and bias is blatantly apparent, as is that of commentators.

CNN is different, and isn't particularly liberal in my opinion nor as neutral as real Network News Anchors, meaning the big 3. The Hosts, or Anchors at CNN tend to interfere in discussions.

If you watch NBC, ABC, and CBS the neutral host/anchor is the rule. They only stop commentators when they run too long. They do not express opinions on issues. Now, news directors may choose unfairly among the available commentators, but the anchors/hosts stay out of the discussion except to ask questions.

As an example, Dan Rather resigned when he was given a story, researched poorly by reporters and vetted poorly by producers and the news director failed to recognize the flaws in the story. If anyone was responsible it was the news director and the producers, but Rather as the on air person whose credibility was so damaged removed himself. That was an act of integrity, of shame at getting suckered by a fake (though I am still suspicious of the whole thing) news story. Rather took responsibility for the whole news organization, as opposed to a mass firing of everyone involved in the story, particularly the producer and news director.

Rob

Collapse -
Taking Geraldo Rivera out of the picture....

.....since he's clearly a token who was probably picked because he has a reputation for being a bit loony, name a few of the "number of guest contributors and people on their payroll" who lean left.

Collapse -
To name a few

In reply to: Taking Geraldo Rivera out of the picture....

Bob Beckle, Sally Kohn, Jane Hall (no longer there by her choice), Alan Colmes, Juan Williams...there are more who are regulars on the various shows.

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: To name a few

REPORT: More than 30 Fox Newsers support GOP in 600-plus instances during midterms

And I realize just because you support a certain cause doesn't mean that your employer is biased and would/might hold that fact against you, and that wouldn't be a factor in hiring you/firing you. It's hard to say that with a straight face.

It must really stick in their throat... saying something good about Democrats.,

Oh wait, come to think of it......THEY DON'T.

Concerning the names you've provided....5 names...plus the 30 I've provided...that works out to 5/35*100=14% Liberal...86% Conservative

An approx 6 to 1 ratio

Since you state the Liberals are always given a chance to express an opposing point of view on FOX. So you have 6 Conservatives ganging up on/debating 1 Liberal? .Or does 1 Liberal visit 6 different shows and get 14% of the time?

It's not easy keeping an audience (to watch commercials) having 6 people, sitting around a table all agreeing with each other, meanmouthing someone that isn't there.

After while it would start to sound like whining.
Collapse -
Meanwhile, the President of Fox News....

In reply to: Response

.....(Roger Ailes) previously served as media consultant for Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush and Rudy Giuliani. He is also believed to have given political advice to George W. Bush during his presidency, during which time he was also at Fox.

Collapse -
At least

In reply to: Response

using your argument, FoxNews actually HAS liberals as contributors or actually on their payroll.....that cannot be said for the other MSM and Cable news stations. Considering that Fox is on 24/7 (some shows repeat in the middle of the night), having 30 who support the GOP isn't much of a stretch, compared to CNN and MSNBC....which have virtually no Conservative viewpoints/opinions/anchors/contributors. When they DO have a conservative on, it is in a guest position with a very slanted questioner always spinning/twisting a question posed. When they have liberals on as guests, the questions are very pointedly twisted to get the response they want to get, including 'feeding' the response to the guest.

Collapse -
I don't think anyone here would try to claim....

In reply to: At least

.....that MSNBC isn't biased. The point is that defenders of Fox News are always claiming that it's the only news network that isn't biased. At least now you're acknowledging that this is not the case. That's all I was going for. It's not about having a pissing contest to see which network has more commentators from "the other side."

Collapse -
RE: virtually no Conservative

virtually no Conservative viewpoints/opinions/anchors/contributors.

You can't say it, can you?

They have SOME...you'd rather say they have "virtually no".

When they DO have a conservative on, it is in a guest position with a very slanted questioner always spinning/twisting a question posed. When they have liberals on as guests, the questions are very pointedly twisted to get the response they want to get, including 'feeding' the response to the guest.

Unlike FOX?

Are you saying FOX has program with a Liberal leaning HOST..without a Conservative sidekick?

While Colmes describes himself as a liberal and his Fox News biography touts him as "a hard-hitting liberal," he has sometimes been referred to disparagingly as a "token liberal" or a "Fox News liberal" by liberal sources.[7] Colmes told USA Today that he considers himself "quite moderate."[8]

During his run on Hannity and Colmes, Colmes was criticized for being less charismatic and telegenic than Sean Hannity, and just a "seat-filler" for the liberal side.[9] Some newspapers reported him as being Hannity's "sidekick"

Give it up Toni...they ALL have an agenda.
Collapse -
Give it up JP

In reply to: RE: virtually no Conservative

you can't admit that NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, MSNBC are ALL openly liberal and either obviously left or outright radical left (MSNBC especially), compared to a moderately right leaning FoxNews. That is still a 5 to one ratio of what is being shown/slanted to the public.

Collapse -
"Moderately right-leaning Fox News"

ROFL, that has to be the post of the month. And it only took how long to get you to grudgingly admit even that much?

I'll readily admit that MSNBC is left-leaning (not "radical" though -- really, please re-familiarize yourself with what radicalism is). CBS, probably. ABC and NBC, not so much. CNN (in my opinion) is the most balanced of the lot and the only one I watch or read with any regularity.

Collapse -
RE: ALL openly liberal

so they're truthful...UNLIKE FOX?

Collapse -
Evidence? Links? Anything but your dubious Opinion?

You have proven your bias in every post you've made, and are therefore hardly a disinterested source for liberal opinion, or even fair evaluation of Fox. Name me more than one or two Liberals on Fox's payroll and regularly seen on Fox. Guest commentators are brought in from outside the organization, and are not employees of Fox.

Rob

Collapse -
I love it when Fox News blasts the

In reply to: Evidence? Links? Anything but your dubious Opinion?

liberals for listening to a singer (or whatever) as a commentator and then bring in a conservative singer (or whatever) as a commentator.

Diana

Collapse -
cough...cough.....Ted Nugent.....cough....cough....

In reply to: Evidence? Links? Anything but your dubious Opinion?

At least the "liberal" celebrities are actual celebrities, unlike Nugent, who hasn't done anything new in nearly 30 years and whose musical career these days consists of state fairs and "Where are they now" type reunion tours.

Collapse -
(NT) Name a liberal at Fox. Rob

Collapse -
I already posted a few

In reply to: Name a liberal at Fox. Rob

To name a few

by TONI H - 6/27/12 9:29 AM

In Reply to: Taking Geraldo Rivera out of the picture.... by Josh K

Bob Beckle, Sally Kohn, Jane Hall (no longer there by her choice), Alan Colmes, Juan Williams...there are more who are regulars on the various shows.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.