Rant

Why is cable, satellite, etc. TV so hard to operate?

Can't the use of cable, satellite, etc. TV be simplified? Even without a multi-media system they're a nightmare. The worst offenders are the providers themselves. Nobody provides simple step-by-step directions on how to do the basic things, and how to recover once you screw up. I know, to techies such things are "intuitively obvious", much as the math professor says of mathematical problems. But a lot of us are not techies, especially of the elder persuasion, and not mathematicians.

Example: Last night, cable system remote would not successfully effect volume changes. Used TV remote. Worked fine until I forgot I had the TV remote in my hand and used it to change channel. Result was the first number I punched in and snow on the screen. Could not restore. Called cable system this morning and young air head, probably with long straight blonde hair, essentially knew nothing. Promised to send technician today. Isn't this costly to the provider, as well as frustrating to the user?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Why is cable, satellite, etc. TV so hard to operate?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why is cable, satellite, etc. TV so hard to operate?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Possilbe solution

But it is confusing until you get time to experiment a little to understand how it all works. My dad had a crummy TV that had only one input, so the cable connected directly to his TV and all he needed to do is to change channels on his TV to watch. Then I gave him my son's old Sony XBR TV that had multiple inputs, and I connected a DVD player. This was very confusing until I had him perform the sequences several times. He had to call me several more times until he finally got it.

Do you have a cable box or is the cable connected directly to the back of your TV? If you have a cable box, then it is connected to it's own Video Input on the back of the TV (Input 1 or 2 for example). When you pressed the channel button on your TV remote, you made the TV change to it's own internal tuner. You simply need to get back to the Input where the cable is connected and all will be fine. On your TV remote, press the button that says "Input" (sometimes it's called TV/Video) and you should see all the options for Inputs. If you are not sure which Input your cable is connected to, just choose one Input at a time until you see your cable signal. If you have a cable box, then you really shouldn't need your TV remote. Your cable remote should have been programmed so it controls the Volume and On/Off to your TV, which is all you need from your TV since the cable box is your tuner.

Yes, it's confunsing to a degree and the manuals aren't really useful n describing how to use everything.

- Collapse -
I do have a cable box

Have cable box, but problem was box remote was not changing volume. Usually the volume bars are at the bottom of the screen in bright yellow on blue background. For some reason, last night they appeared as smaller white bars at the top of the screen. These bars showed increasing bars with increasing inputs but no response to volume . That's why I went to TV remote to change volume and it worked fine until I mistakenly hit the change channel.

Will try your suggestion when I get home, if technician does not arrive before. I still wonder why some user manual is not issued that gives some explanation as you gave.

Thanks.

- Collapse -
Manuals and lack of explanation

Manual don't do a good job of explaining because (this is may theory) they are written by someone behind a closed door and no one actually tries to follow it after it's written. Of course it makes sense to the person writing the manual, but often it's almost a foreign language to someone else. If I was in charge of writing a manual, I would write it, then have someone who is totally unfamiliar with the product try to follow it and see if the manual makes sense to them. If not, rewrite it and try again.

- Collapse -
User error

I think it is a bit much to get mad at the cable company for not being able to troubleshoot something that has nothing to do with their equipment (e.g. changing the channel on your TV back to what it was). Now, I won't sit here and say their tech support guys are all competent because I've had a few that didn't even know what HDMI was lol.

If you are having issues with remotes, see if something like a Logitech Harmony One universal remote would suit you well. It controls everything you have and auto-programs itself (as long as you have a computer to install the software on).

CNET Forums