Question

Why is an unknown cell phone showing up on my network

I have a wireless network set up in my house. I have the main computer, a wireless printer, and a laptop connected to the network. I have Windows 8 on the laptop, and Windows 7 on the main computer. I do not share any files with each computer; only the printer is shared. Periodically a cell phone with a mac address shows up on my network. It seems when I see it and try to get more info on it disappears from sight. I have a secured WPA 2 network with a password. How can I get rid of this phone? Can I find out who it is? I would appreciate any help. Thank you

Discussion is locked
Answer
Follow
Reply to: Why is an unknown cell phone showing up on my network
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why is an unknown cell phone showing up on my network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Why not try a sniffer for wifi
- Collapse -
(NT) What is a sniffer?
- Collapse -
What's what

Checks wifi packets or presence and helps ID or find what's going on or similar. It just helps, so google if you care to. You may get an address but that doesn't mean its active on your network, it maybe more being seen and not access. The reason I offered the sniffer to check what wifi activity is out there.

tada -----Willy Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) thank you
- Collapse -
Answer
If your router

If your router supports MAC address blocking, just add that MAC address to the list and be done with it.

- Collapse -
(NT) Thank you I will try to block the MAC address.
- Collapse -
blocked Mac address

Hi,

I blocked the Mac address in my router under parental controls, managed devices, blocked list. I have an Xfinity modem all in one for my phone, computers, and internet. I blocked the address and turned off my computer. Five minutes later I restarted the computer and to my surprise the Verizon phone appeared once again. How can this be if it is blocked. I rechecked the MAC address many times. Any suggestions? Thanks.

- Collapse -
If it is showing up ...

for short periods then disappearing then showing up again for another short period before disappearing it is quite possible that it ISN"T actually connecting but the phone's setup is telling it to keep checking for wireless connections available so it does but can't connect so it keeps trying

- Collapse -
(NT) Thank you
- Collapse -
Answer
Unknown cell phone

Windows File Explorer > Network > displays all devices on a network. So the device is 'on' the network (your router with extender), but not *IN* your network. Any device can try to 'access' the network by first 'listening' for wireless signals like a radio listens for radios stations. In this case the phone (a neighbor) has WIFI turned 'ON' so it automatically looks for WIFI instead of using cellular minutes. Your wireless and extender are broadcasting "BOBSWIFI", so the phone tries to automatically tune in BOBSWIFI, but then when the phone and wifi/extender talk, your network says "PASSWORD!" and the phone goes "Huh?" and that is it. So it doesn't get 'IN' your network.

Now if you don't want any device to 'pick up' your broadcast, you would need to turn off BROADCAST NAME option in your wireless, then MANUALLY add the wireless to your computer, iphones, etc. by putting in the name, password, etc.

- Collapse -
(NT) Thank you - well written for easy understanding. Brilliant
- Collapse -
This is the best answer.

Thank you. Re-configured my router. No more problems.

- Collapse -
Answer
XFINITY WIFI

This could also attribute to the hotspot networking service through xfinity. You know, if you have Comcast and your cousin has Comcast, you can use his router with your password without his permission. Look into it. I found an unauthorized phone in my network as well, which is how I came across this. I also found a Forward Demon in my processes, after noticing someone logging in and out of my computers via a RAT ( Hidden Remote Software). Have not found the RAT yet, so he IT is probably watching me type this. Time for new Hard Drive anyway.

- Collapse -
Answer
Mystery cell phone on your network

I expect that you use a CPAP or APAP machine or other medical device with automatic reporting for compliance. It is probably your medical device that attaches to your network from time to time for data transmission. My ResMed APAP machine's "cell phone" is seen on my network when transmitting data as an "Angler" cell phone.

- Collapse -
Answer
Get Real

This is not any of the answers people proposed here. It is a bot by whomever (government, hacker, etc.) trying to sniff or get into your network.

The MAC address is fake, so blocking it is a waste of time; it simply gets a new MAC address. If you try to investigate the hijacker, it will simply disappear for awhile, but it will return. This defensive mechanism is built into the monitoring code, deterring further investigation.

angler, full_biscuit ... fake Amazon or other phones ... It's all fake data. You know, the government has full access to all communication systems in the country. The link may not even be on your wireless network. It's probably coming over your LAN, bypassing all regulatory computer standards. The government and anyone else knowing this protocol can do it.

All networks are being monitored. Whether anyone has the time to analyze your data is questionable. I believe they are looking for key words, key pages, and flagging them.

Watch what you are doing on the internet. It's access in for someone who has the know-how. No firewall will prevent intrusion.

Pat
MS Computer Science
Website Manager and developer
Former Engineer: Bell Laboratories, Motorola, etc.

- Collapse -
Don't Panic, Pat

It's just windows connect now.. Disable the service and turn it off (under services control panel) and poof, the phone goes offline). I had done this before but on new computer had forgotten to turn this off.

-rob

- Collapse -
RE: Don't Panic, Pat

It worked!

CNET Forums