General discussion

Why Ipods are better than Creative players...

... IN SALES!!!! Haha, gotcha! U thought you'd come here and flame me eh? Well... Can't touch this...du du du du dum, Hammertime...

Anyway, i just thought its time i'd post this to tell people why I think the new Vision M won't be the new "Ipod-killer" if there is such a thing. Ok, on paper, Creative players probably look better than ipods because of(in general): sound quality, battery time, fm tuner, voice recorder, wider range of codec support, compatibility w/ to-go services, equalizers, and all that good stuff compared to the ipod's looks, size, and functionality.
But, and this is a big BUT, the ipod captures mass appeal. Apple knows that the mp3 market's money lies in the wallets of teenagers and young adults. And apple knows what these people want, they want mp3 players that are compact, look great so that they can show them off to their friends, and have good sound quality while being easy to use. That's why, despite the Vision M being a great player, it won't rock the market like some of you are suggesting. Holla if u agree.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Why Ipods are better than Creative players...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why Ipods are better than Creative players...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I want a n MP3 player!

iPod Nano scratches too much, Zen MicroPhoto touch interface sucks, Zen Vision: M too big... What to do! Sad

- Collapse -
Just wait

trooper just wait. I was in the same situation as you at once. I couldn't find an mp3 player to work out with that would also hold all my songs. So I waited. Carried around my cd player. When all was dark and I felt all hope was lost, at the end of a tunnel that I thought would go on forever, was a light. Alas my nano! Any way dramatics aside, just wait a little while longer. Hopefully 2006 will bring you a player you'll fall in love with.

- Collapse -
Your logic is great

Yep, IE is the most used and easiest to use browser. I guess that makes it the best the browser.

Yep, Windows XP is the most used and easiest to use OS for the masses. I guess that makes it the best OS.

Yep, Ford is the biggest auto maker in the world. I guess that makes it the best type of car.

/sarcasm

- Collapse -
ur logic... not so great

first of all, i wasn't talking about the ipod being the "greatest player" per-say, but in actuality that it sells the best, read the frikken topic, thats what it's all about, SALES.
Oh, and
"Yep, Ford is the biggest auto maker in the world. I guess that makes it the best type of car."
WHAT?! Ford's not even the biggest auto maker in the US, GM is. Ford's barely alive at this point, Honda's kicking its *** all over the place. You know why? Ford has a bunch of luxurious features in their cars like heated seats and such and has more power in their cars, yet honda's cars look better and handle better, thus the Civic was the best selling car for 2005.

- Collapse -
Your logic is based on people's ignorance

Fact: Windows XP is the best selling OS.

Therefore, according to your logic, I should buy Windows XP. It sells the best!

Fact: IE is the most used browser in the world.

Therefore, according to your logic, I should get IE. Everyone else has it!

Your logic is that:

Best Selling Item = One size fits all

- Collapse -
what?

huh? i was never trying to get anyone to buy the ipod, i was just refuting the claim that the Vision M would sell well to the mass market. I'm saying that the ipod sells well because apple knows its target market and designs their players to suit that market. Creative, trys to give the most bang for your buck, while having great audio quality for those who are REALLY serious about music. And certainly, the ipod isn't the best for everybody, take you for instance, i'm sure you appreciate Creative's multitude of features, but most teenagers would prefer the ipod. Nobody is wrong in this situation, in fact i don't even know why i'm arguing. 0_o

- Collapse -
Does it matter?

The masses of people can't use a computer either. Most of them just buy things because it a fawd.

Someone who taken the time to research and assuming they have the computer skills of kid(which I assume that you both fall under) should choose the creative M. I am into features and specs, not into emotions arguments("Group Thing" in psychology).

- Collapse -
Correction

"Think" not "thing"Happy

- Collapse -
uh... YEAH

"The masses of people can't use a computer either."
WHAT? For Africa, maybe. Besides, don't you need a computer to use an mp3 player anyway?
"Someone who taken the time to research and assuming they have the computer skills of kid(which I assume that you both fall under) should choose the creative M"
If the masses of people can't use comps, then how can they research cmp3 players on the comp? 0_o
I'll just assume that the 1st quote was a typo, and say that: The average teen couldn't care what the specs of an mp3 player is, they'll just be drawn to the coolness of the ipod. Also, wat percent of the teen population would bother going online to comparison shop on ANYTHING? what, 2%?
"I am into features and specs, not into emotions arguments("Group Thing" in psychology)."
That exactly what i'm saying!!! People like you will bond very well to the Vision M's features and be happy with their Zens. But, if you consider ur own likes and dislikes to be the norm for teenagers, then ur sadly mistaken.

- Collapse -
Really

Most people can open up outlook and word. Most people have no idea how to use a computer beyond that. HTML, building PCs, dos, etc.

The fact is, you use a teen's ignorance to build up your product. I am a teenager, I comparison shop for everything. I look at the pros and cons, and decide which is the best product. It sounds like you do likewise, why did you choose the ipod?

It is irrational and case of "group think" when you choose a products for looks and not function.

- Collapse -
OMG SHUT UP!

You guys are like 2 girls in a cat fight. How many threads are you guys gonna keep posting in with the same old arguments......agree to disagree and get on with it.

- Collapse -
I'm not a teenager

Here's something from not a teenager. I'm 22. I support the ipod rather than the vision M. Why? Because the vision m isn't something everyone wants. I'm the only person out of all my freinds (mostly people in there late 20's early 30's) who know's in depth about technology. They have no clue about codecs, pixels, lcd, oled...etc.

This is what they know. It should look pretty. It should be easy. If something goes wrong they want a person face to face to talk to. They don't want to be on hold forever and they want the person who answers the phone to speak english. They want it to do what it says it does. They know that they won't have to worry about thier technology. They want it to just work. They want it fast.

Creative vision m will not succeed not cause of ignorant teenagers but because ignorant Creative. They should listen to the public like apple does.

- Collapse -
huh? i don't think ur getting me

"I am a teenager, I comparison shop for everything. I look at the pros and cons, and decide which is the best product."
Yes, that's what i'm saying. You're in a select group of teenagers(yay! pat urself on the back) who actually take the time to look up before they buy. This is not the case with the 74% of the mp3 market that bought ipods. I'm not saying that the ipod is better than the Vision M, just that it has more mass appeal. And if you say the same arguement one more time, then i will be very angry.

- Collapse -
Who cares about the market!

So what if Apple owns x percent of the market, or mass appeal and ect. Yes, you are right, they are THE superior in the market, and they sell big, but Creative is still better in terms of feat. and etc. (we all know these). To me, and i'm sure most people, i don't care of how good Apple's doing or how their sales are going, i just want to get the BEST PLAYER out of these competing brands.

And i'm sure if people even gave a creative a try, they would like it. It's got good looks 2 you know. Maybe not as unique as Apples, but it looks good.

Keep the peace-> meery christmas to all, by the way,

Ebegeebeez

- Collapse -
uh... wrong topic?

ebeegeez, this discussion is about the mp3 player market, not about which player is better. BTW, there is no BEST player, not creative, not ipod, not iriver. The BEST player is defferent in everyone's eyes because they have different needs and wants. Obviously, Creative is the BEST PLAYER for you and Pimp, while the ipod nano is the best player for me and glorybox. It's all a matter of perception.

- Collapse -
lol- I agree for once

I don't think there is a "best player", or "best PC" or really "best" anything. I like features over looks/social stuff. Again, I did check out the ipod G5. I just really needed a radio, and will benfit from more file support and higher TV output.

- Collapse -
LMAO

Yes! Now we agree Happy

- Collapse -
Now...

We need something else to quarrel about. Politics or Game Consoles perhaps?Happy

- Collapse -
yup

i've got one, green apple jolly rancher sucks, watermellon is so much better.

- Collapse -
What?

Cherry Jolly Ranchers are way better then watermellon.

- Collapse -
no way!

the watermelon has a finer pink color which gives it props for looks. Also, it is way more accessable since cherry is known to stick to the wrapper.

- Collapse -
Off-topic discussions...

Please keep in mind that these forums are for technical support. (Off-topic posts/threads will usually be deleted.) If you wish to have off-topic discussions, please direct them to Cnet's Speakeasy forums. They receive dozens of posts a day on just about every topic you can think of. However, when posting, please keep the forum policies in mind, as well as this notification to all Speakeasy participants. To summarize, profanity, name-calling, baiting, spamming, off-color comments, etc will not be tolerated. Also, please refrain from the type of heated debates you guys had earlier, as that's something more appropriate for a chat room. (That kind of thread will usually be locked.)

Thanks,
John

- Collapse -
Locking thread...

This thread started out with Yangman88 baiting others into flaming him, and despite some positive contributions, has been mostly a childish dispute about what the best MP3 player is. Now positive contributions have been replaced by continued off-topic discussion concerning Jolly Ranchers. Therefore I am locking this thread and requesting that such trivial, off-topic, personal debates be taken elsewhere. Also, ALL future cases of name-calling, profanity, and other forum policy violations will be deleted, starting with A__Hole's post that used a slang version of the profane word referring to a female dog, which was used to circumvent the forum language filters. I advise everyone involved to reread (or, as I suspect, read) the forum policies as to what is and is not appropriate.

Game Over.
John

- Collapse -
In your face

That's right people Green Apple representing! Obviously green apple apple is the best since the flavor last longer.

- Collapse -
Hmmm

Anyone got some stats on which jolly rancher lasts the longest? How the features of the green jolly ranchers?

- Collapse -
specs

the watermelon jolly rancher is known to have .05% less air pockets on average than the other flavors. And, it is also less scratchable.

- Collapse -
Here's some specs

-Green jolly rancher .11 percent bigger than other jolly ranchers
-advanced flavor coating (new to the 2005 jolly ranchers)
just check out the jolly rancher forum. plus I heard people wear having problems with there chery jolly ranchers. There was a recall on them

- Collapse -
Oh man

We can't even have heated debates across 3 threads anymore Sad I want jolly ranchers now. Dang you all! lol

- Collapse -
lol

'' ... IN SALES!!!! Haha, gotcha! U thought you'd come here and flame me eh?''

Hahaha! That's great.

And I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, by the way! Hope you get your iPod or Vision M or whatever is on your list.

CNET Forums

Forum Info