Question

Why IE very slow, but FF fast on a x64 3GB PC?

I am troubleshooting a friend's eMachine laptop. It has a 2 GHz dual core CPU with 3 GB of RAM running 64 bit Windows 7.

He complained that IE 7 began running very slow all of a sudden. A virus scan was run but returned 0 problems. I checked device manager; no problems. The PC includes an Atheros Ethernet NIC and Broadcom 802.11g wireless.

I upgraded to IE9, but the slow performance continued. I noticed the performance of the entire PC slowed down while IE continued to load. Once the page finished loading, everything worked fine. Out of curiosity, I installed Firefox to see whether the problem was isolated to IE or to the whole NIC. Firefox worked like a charm loading right up. My friend would have been satisfied with the workaround, but the web-based software he uses for work is only compatible with IE.

I would be greatly indebted to whomever can help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Why IE very slow, but FF fast on a x64 3GB PC?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Why IE very slow, but FF fast on a x64 3GB PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
IE 9

Roll back to the earlier version. Delete IE9 reboot and the system should roll back to the earlier version. Similar issues have happened to others with the upgrade, it is an MS thing and if you ask them (MS) you will get more of a headache than you had fighting with the glitch.Then, at some point in time (when you feel brave enough) try doing the upgrade again, of course there is always good old MOZILLA, which just seems to roll on. Best of luck!!!

- Collapse -
Answer
I Prefer IE9 On Windows 7, But Have You???

Have you tried scanning with a different tool such as the free Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware below? If not, give them both a try. Download, install, update, then run full system scans to make sure there's no malware on the machine.

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

One other thing comes to mind regarding IE and the slowdown.. A lot of folks think registry cleaners and "system optimizers" will speed things up.. Instead, here we find they tend to do the opposite.. If the eMachine has had such registry cleaners run on it, you may be seeing the aftermath of the wrong registry entry being removed.. If the cleaner has a "undo" option, give it a try..

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: IE slow

Most issues with IE come from add-ons.

Things to try:
1. Try IE in a new (just temporary) Windows account. Might very well be fast.
2. If that's a success, run IE in the original account and use Tools>Manage Add-ons to disable all. If it's OK then, enable the ones you really need one by one to find the culprit.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Have had the same I E9 problem my story so far!

I have also had this problem I ended up with a reinstall Win7pro 64bit then tried IE9 again [which I liked] and it slowed right down again after a Win update so UN-installed IE9 and ran IE8 which was OK.
I am fully aware that add ins can cause problems with browsers but I had NO add ins installed on IE9. I checked all over for solutions [a lot of people with the same problem] could find no valid solutions to the problem [lots of crap about remove all add ins to solve but this is a red herring But unfortunately it is the only senile solution being touted it is has no relevance to this problem] I am convinced that it is a defect that is introduced through an update and no one has owned up to the self destruct of IE9, so I to have installed Firefox8 to use and as much as I am an I.E. fan I must say that this is a very adequate browser apart from the memory leakage its a decent browser. Such a shame that nobody at MS can sort out I.E..9 I think that they are in denial?
Best of luckdmorris395

CNET Forums

Forum Info