The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Why I love my Nokia N800...and probably would love the N810.

by shawnlin / October 18, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

I know I've put a few posts on my interest and enjoyment of the Nokia N800, but here's the "best of" collection in response to Molly's new found interest in the Nokia N810...and because Tom requested something like this anyhow Wink

Oh Molly - you make my heart sing the way you've fawned a bit over the Nokia N810. Happy

As Tom mentioned - I certainly do love my Nokia N800 internet tablet...and I'm sure I'd love the N810 and here is why:

1) I primarily got it as a GPS navigation unit - works great! And I'm actually glad the GPS is NOT built in - that means I or a passenger can tell me navigation and allowing me to keep my eyes on the road and also, the passenger can minimize the NAV window and dabble with the music I have on it. Happy It's not a BIG deal that the N810 has integrated (or at least non-detachable) GPS - I'd imagine you can still use a bluetooth GPS receiver if desired.

2) I'm not an uber-user that needs internet in away from wifi hotspots. In my opinion, that's what information via cell phone is for. Other than that, I'll take a little mystery in life Happy I usually only take the tablet with me if I know I'll be needing the GPS function, if I'm on travel, or if I know I'll be at a wifi hotspot. I don?t think I?ll have it on me at all times - it's not small enough, and neither is the iPhone or similar.

3) pop-out-with-swivel able web-cam/camera! Waaaaay cool even if it's only 1.3 megapixel. The Nokia N810 does have a webcam but NOT with pop-out-swivel action...bummer.

4) No WiMax is a bummer - but it's not a tragedy without it.

5) Nokia supports open source via a mobile Linux flavor - Maemo. I find it a fun way to understand more about Linux and write my own programs. They also support not locking phones.

6) I no longer worry about leaving my laptop at home when on travel - the Nokia is very portable, attractive (conversation starter at airports :), and easy to use.

On the whole, I think devices like the Nokia internet tablets and even the Palm Foleo are probably the most efficiently feature packed devices for those on the go and/or if you want to occasionally be connected while on travel (since you have to find a wifi hotspot). In a couple years they may indeed be the most ascetically best option for a UMPC...think about it...

Best,
Shalin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why I love my Nokia N800...and probably would love the N810.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why I love my Nokia N800...and probably would love the N810.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why would I want a portable wifi device...
by Nicholas Buenk / October 18, 2007 1:27 PM PDT

When wifi is not really that common anyway....

Collapse -
if it's not very available - I wouldn't want it either...
by shawnlin / October 18, 2007 1:33 PM PDT

but for my area, it's rather prevalent. If it's not available (for free), it's not a tragedy in my eyes.

Also, my Nokia N800 has replaced my alarm clock and is tied to my wifi network so I can stream the morning news as I wake up. I like the fact that it assists my minimalism interests in that regard.

--S

Collapse -
Well it's not in Australia
by Nicholas Buenk / October 18, 2007 2:01 PM PDT

As unlimited internet is not found here which probably raises the cost of freely providing a public internet connection. Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.