The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Why I Love My iPod

by Dhalgren / September 7, 2006 4:08 PM PDT

Okay, maybe I missed the train, but I'm confused. More than once the Buzz crew has lambasted the iPod and said that there are better devices that do the same thing (ex. the Toshiba dealy). This is where I get lost. I bought my iPod for one main reason: listening to podcasts. My old mp3 player didn't save song positions, and didn't have podcast management software. I love how easy it is to use the iPod, and iTunes manages Podcasts in such a great way. It keeps track of which one's I've listened to, automatically downloads new shows, and all I have to do is plug in my iPod and I've got new podcasts. So here's why I'm confused: Why would a podcast promote a device that's not good for listening to podcasts? Am I missing something? Is there a software/hardware packages better than iTunes/iPod for listening and managing podcasts (I listen to about 18 of them)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why I Love My iPod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why I Love My iPod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Totally agree
by burnflare / September 7, 2006 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Why I Love My iPod

I have to totally agree with you. Listening to podcast is the main reason why i bought a 4gb ipod nano.

Collapse -
Yep count me in too.
by christianboy65 / September 7, 2006 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Totally agree

Mostly podcasts, a little music and a few movies on the airplane.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) WMP ver 11 is coming
by cardsbb9 / September 8, 2006 2:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
And..... As far as I've seen it has no podcast support
by Dhalgren / September 8, 2006 3:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
They have to get the OS right, and out the door, first
by cardsbb9 / September 8, 2006 4:37 AM PDT

If, as we have been told, Vista ships the end of January then (my guess) we should see a re-release of WMP later in the year (sometime before summer, is my bet).

I eagerly await its re-release because I know MS won't let Apple sit with the lead in anything software. And iTunes is just to juicy a target.

My guess is that Apple will, still, make iPod sales, but the real growth (post WMP) will be in all the secondary devices as MS will not tie their software to one hardware platform like Apple has.

The real teller will be the decrese in sales of downloads from iTunes. MS will rob Apple blind in that.

Collapse -
I applaud your faith, but
by Dhalgren / September 8, 2006 6:59 AM PDT

Your "just know" just doesn't compare to a Microsoft "we will." Until they at least announce that they know that podcast support is an important goal I'm just not buying it. Literally, I will never buy a portable audio device that doesn't have podcast management software. Currently the iPod is the only one that does this, it does it very well, and no one else has even ANNOUNCED that they are working on it.

Collapse -
Did Apple "announce" podcast support ?
by cardsbb9 / September 8, 2006 9:28 PM PDT

Before Apple rolled out iTunes, did they "announce" podcast support ?

Nope. Podcast support isn't that important to most people. But they did it.

Is MS in the habit of leaving a market to the one company that breaks new ground and defines the market? Did they leave the browser market to Netscape?

Don't trust my say-so. Trust in the desire of MS to dominate all things involving computing.

Collapse -
Umm, yeah, they did
by Dhalgren / September 11, 2006 5:19 AM PDT

When Apple added podcast support to iTunes about a year about a year ago they made a big deal about it, and it was in the news. Even leading up to it:

"Trust in the desire of MS to dominate all things involving computing."

I'm sorry, but MS seems to be full of morons lately that just don't "get it." Again, this isn't about trust, it's about money.

Right now, at this exact moment, if I was going to spend money on an electronic device for listening to podcasts, the best one is the Apple iPod. For two reasons, the hardware works great (position saving, tracking of what's been listened to, a separate directory for podcasts) and the iTunes software works great (integrated feed subscription, automatically synching file position, listened to status, etc.)

I'm not going to spend money on another device that I would be hampered by until if and when Microsoft decides to get off their duff and support podcasts in a similar way.

Collapse -
The name podcast is misleading
by scottwb555 / September 9, 2006 4:13 AM PDT

While podcasts originally stood for ipod cast, some now say that it stands for Personal on Demand Broadcast.
The reason that it promotes Ipods is most likely becuase ipods are the most common mp3 player, and many people are not even aware of the fact that there ARE other mp3 players.
In addition, iPods are fine for listening to podcasts, but there are many more players that include many more features. As for podcast integration, I find much easier to use that itunes.

Collapse -
The name of the game is neither here nor there
by Dhalgren / September 11, 2006 5:24 AM PDT

''many more players that include many more features''

Are these features for podcasts? Otherwise I don't know why you are bringing them up.

The main reason I bought an iPod is for listening to podcasts, are you talking of another device and service that does this better? If so, could you be more specific on what devices and services you are talking about and how it does this better?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?