HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Why I did not upgrade and will not.

by Armadillo / March 14, 2007 1:26 PM PDT

I read a lot of post about the coming problems with Vista and it was for that reason I did not upgrade and will not upgrade unril I have to purchase a new PC and have lots of money at hand to purchase new software and hardware.

All the posting before the public release warned us of incompatibilities with then current software drivers and hardware drivers and those warnings have come true in a very big way. It would cost well over $3000.00 to purchase a new PC, software upgrades and hardware. I learned my lesson the hard way when I purchased this PC with Windows XP Pro, most of my external hardware (printer, scanner, etc) would not work even using the "compatibility Mode". I am not about to do that again.

Microsoft does have a responsibility to make its Operating System compatible with legacy programs and hardware, software and hardware vendors depend on consistency when they develop programs and hardware, without consistency we would all be paying three times the cost for these items.

Moving from Microsoft to a Mac will not resolve most problems because you may not find programs and hardware that will perform the same tasks as Microsoft based applications and hardware. In addition as Macs become more and more popular hacker, crackers, and virus writers will become more proficient at attacking Mac operating systems. We have already seen a flock of new attacks targeting Macs.

Linux and Unix Operating systems suffer the same fate but even worse in providing software and hardware that will perform the same tasks as Microsoft based applications. Try buying a printer or scanner that will perform as easily as a Microsoft based application.

The answer is to hold Microsoft accountable in Civil Courts all across the world, money for the stockholders seems to be the only threat that gains attention at Microsoft.

Michael

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why I did not upgrade and will not.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why I did not upgrade and will not.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.