Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Why I deleted McAfee

by Drora / October 29, 2004 12:16 AM PDT

I was a loyal customer of McAfee since 1995, but recently they made me mad enough at them that I deleted Mcafee altogether from my machine.

I believe that the program I have purchased from them on disc from the store is mine, just as the disc I bought from the store is mine. THAT PROGRAM ON THAT DISC IS NOT TO BE TAMPERED WITH BY MCAFEE UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES BUT IT LOOKS THEY DID JUST THAT. I am not a computer expert but this is what seems to be in my case.

My conclusion from what happened with me is that they want approximately one hundred dollars per year from you if you want to keep their program on your machine.

When the update period expired they notified me, and I went to their site for renewal. Since I already have the program, I figured that all I need is to continue the update. They charge $ 19.99 per year for that privilege and I wanted to buy just that.

I clicked on that one and instead of purchase confirmation I got few more offers about improvements I didn't think I need.

I said 'No thank you' and proceeded to the exit but in the exit was waiting for me a bill that included everything they have to offer for a sum nearing $ 100.00.

I thougt that by mistake I have selected all that, so I went back to correct, and this time I made sure I click only on the $ 19.99 item, then proceeded to the exit.

The entire bill for about $ 100 with all that McAfee has to offer was there again... and I simply refused it and closed the window.

I went there for renewal after few days. I thought maybe they had a glitch in their purchasing program, and now I can select only what I want, but no, the same thing is there again. Buy everything or nothing.

I tried this for many weeks, I even wrote to them about it, but got nowhere.

Deleting McAfee altogether after so many years.

But by now I have noticed that the entire computing field changed, with the firewall by Windows XP, the improved security by SP2 for windows, and my own server, being themselves (And us users with them) flooded with spam, established a system of erasing in advance, any Email containing viruses. They even let me know about each and every such deletion.

So the world is now not so dangerous as it was before, and using a less famous AV program then big McAfee will be sufficient for someone like me who doesn't really go sneefing in dangerous sites or try to buy things from suspicious characters, and I am happy without McAfee

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why I deleted McAfee
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why I deleted McAfee
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Why I deleted McAfee
by tysec / October 29, 2004 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Why I deleted McAfee

Thanks, I wanted to buy Mc Caffee AV. Ooops! I changed my mind, I won't. In a long run, I'm little afraid of those big well known Av companies, You know what I mean????. But, you're so right.

Thanks again

Collapse -
by primetime / October 29, 2004 2:09 AM PDT

I've had McAfee and will never use any of there software again. You would think a company that big would attempt to have CUSTOMER RELATIONS. Every try to get there tech support?? Lots of luck..
The same with Symantec who owns Norton, that use to be a good software.
These companies use to be customer friendly, but I guess greed set in and now it's CUSTOMER PAY.
I have used Avast ( http://www.avast.com )for a couple of years now and would recommend it. They update there
virus database regularly, each day. And they have a free version for home users, because they feel virus prevention should cover everyone. That's customer relations..

Collapse -
by Ken Patrylow / October 29, 2004 2:46 AM PDT

I switched from Symantec to McAfee after many years using Symantec products. McAfee products are easier to use and their manuals are better. I now think that it was a mistake to switch. I cannot use the new McAfee Security Center. It will not allow me to upgrade my virus definitions. After numerous e-mails with the company and trying their suggestions no change. I am ready to delete McAfee. Also both companies try too often to sell other products.

Collapse -
by pollyx / October 29, 2004 8:01 AM PDT

I agree that McAfee is easier to use than Symantec. Most people are not aware, however, that McAfee has two separate product lines: the boxed products for home users and the virusscan enterprise version. I would recommend the latter, as it it will not cease functioning after expiration. It is also much leaner than the cluttered home user versions.

Collapse -
by akhenatonelmarna / October 29, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

I have been using Symantec products for more than ten years on both PC and Mac platforms. They have performed well for me. After reading the horror story you encountered with McAffee (and I read another disturbing report in the forum this morning as well) I consider myself very fortunate to have Symantec Norton AV. I use that in combination with Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05, the SP-2 firewall and pop-up blocker, and, Win-Patrol. I check for upgrades on the Ad-Aware and Norton AV daily and I run full system scans daily. the result is flawless performance. I am quite happy. I do not know if what I do will work for everyone, but it sure works for me!

Collapse -
by Mr. Chan / October 29, 2004 7:29 PM PDT

I am sure most readers had read the top story of this week about McAfee. The least we can do is to boycott their products as consumers have the right to choose which suits us best. I had McAfee last November installed in my PC. Again, without any reason or warning, they terminated my subscription. Also, it was extremely annoying that they linked up with other software companies to sell something you don't really need. Such as MemTurbo, MemoKit, Rapid IE, Secure IE, PC Boaster and the list is endless. None of these software are useful yet I was fooled by their claim. Since then, I became a loyal customer of Symantec as they never hardsell anything to you nor their software have ever experienced any problem. So let us boycott McAfee and go for Symantec from now on.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?