Storage forum

Resolved Question

Why HDD is not working in AHCI mode?

by Benqrd / June 10, 2013 9:16 PM PDT

Serious question and i want serious answers.
Bios just hangs on searching for sata devices.
I will provide more info after i will gather more info to make solving this problem easier.
And dont even troll with this "instal drivers" bullcrap, unless you can provide source with particular driver.
My mobo is Asus p5k-e wifi ap with newest bios.
my hdd is barracuda 7200.11 500gb (ST3500320AS).
I tried different hdd and dvd and they both worked.

tl;dr question now-
How to check why my hdd is not working in ahci mode?
Might it be caused because chipset on my mobo is not compatible with hdd?

Benqrd has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Why HDD is not working in AHCI mode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Why HDD is not working in AHCI mode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Benqrd

Collapse -
OK. Seems this board was known to do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 2:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Solved
by Benqrd / June 12, 2013 3:10 AM PDT

Thanks Bob.
So i formated that troublesome hdd and it worked.
I wonder what bios is looking for at post that it makes my hdd unusable.
Maybe i could simply use that method to change windows registry that works in cases of installing on ide and swapping to ahci when windows bsods.
I believe it looks for something "system partition" related, because other hdd with files on it passed POST.
Im little surprised that i haven't found those threads you linked. Propably because english is not my first language and i didnt googled right words.
Anyway, problem solved.

Collapse -
Good to read. It's an old issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2013 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Solved

And lost in time as folk move on. Why it's pretty rare is that most folk don't change settings or drives so they don't see this happen. I barely remember it but it was annoying back then.

As to more details, the board makers were tight lipped back then and silent today.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Edit.
by Benqrd / June 10, 2013 9:30 PM PDT

I cant find edit option so i will write here.
When in ahci mode bios just stops (at included screen)
I can then ctrl+alt+del, but can't opnd bios menu to change ahci back to ide.
i have to clear cmos or uninstal hdd and then change bios setting to ide.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/2379/img20130611131854.jpg

Collapse -
Open system
by Willy / June 11, 2013 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Edit.

There are so many h/w options, makers, vendors do dads and whatever can cause issues. In no way can it always be addressed in a simple way. The plain fact is there are "legacy devices" that need IDE and IDE by default which probably why you got to this point when you installed OS. AHCI has to be installed or recognized 1st when booting in order to use it. However, as i said there are so many variations under IDE pretty much an install will be easier. Below is the fix if you did a IDE type install in order to get anything going. make sure to do a "restore point" as a safety plan to return to.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

As always, check your bios status of current level, update it if too distant. Also, the wording can vary too, so take that into acct..

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Open system??
by Benqrd / June 11, 2013 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Open system
Happy Thanks for reply.
"The plain fact is there are "legacy devices" that need IDE and IDE by default"
My hdd is from 2008 year, it can't be that old to don't support ahci.
I forgot to mention that also raid is not working.
I don't think that following that tutorial of yours would be a good idea. Im sure that drive that can't make it past POST would pass it just because i changed OS to think it is on ahci drive.
Collapse -
:(
by Benqrd / June 11, 2013 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too.

I will try this hdd on other pc(a lot older) tomorrow. I guess noone can help here(or anywhere else) with it.

Collapse -
SEE NEW REPLY.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2013 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: :(

Sorry but after I posted I found I missed the board details. Now that I had that in hand I was able to dig a little and now it comes back to me what this was.

It's no mystery any longer. I recall those days and why this happened.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
maybe Starting/Ending CHS value error
by Demacrose / June 12, 2013 3:45 PM PDT

check 3byte value of 0x1C3 your drive

it must be FE FF FF

Collapse -
Answer
FYI...some hingsight
by Willy / June 13, 2013 2:20 AM PDT

I have explained that by default the bios selects IDE as the install method of doing things. As I recall during this time, most SATA devices were HDs and rarely if ever a CD/DVD drive. What many makers did was install IDE CD/DVD drives along with SATA HDs, of course all was well and good provided nothing happened to the system. Those DIY type builds followed the same build path and overall all was OK, until it was noticed you could get better results if you go ACHI mode. This brings up the issue as you find from following the links that a registry change or a build using IDE then correction to accept the new ACHI mode as a change. This is all done after the initial install but was later corrected with a bios update in some cases. Further some makers provided *only* SATA as the method of media and thus corrected in bios and/or being the only mode dropped the IDE side of things. If you follow similar links you begin to see the bigger picture as makers had to deal with older IDE and provide said ports as well as DIY types re-using or having only IDE CD drives, etc. and I'm sure re-used IDE HDs as well. Which is why I mentioned all the makeups out there can cause an issue. I hope now this better explains why it became an issue. It seems we've grown out of that issue with newer mtrbds. or PCs, but of course older PC still abound. good luck -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.