Speakeasy forum

Question

why has cnet deleted the word christmas

by ancleal59 / December 4, 2011 12:13 AM PST

i want to complain about cnet deleting the word christmas from the homepage, I refuse to buy holiday gifts, I only buy christmas gifts, is cnet anti christian.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: why has cnet deleted the word christmas
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: why has cnet deleted the word christmas
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Thread moved...
by John.Wilkinson / December 4, 2011 9:16 PM PST

Thread moved to the Speakeasy forum as it was off-topic in the How To forum.

John

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Excellent question . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 4, 2011 3:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Wouldn't say they've deleted it
by Steven Haninger / December 4, 2011 9:32 PM PST

In any event, I didn't notice and wouldn't let it get me upset anyway. I suspect cnet is just following a trend rather than being anti anything. Even merchants who previously used the old word aren't anti. Most have never been pro either. They don't promote the holiday specific to a religion. They promote their merchandise. Christmas is my favorite season and I won't let such trivial things spoil it. Keep in mind that there's at least one thing no one can take from you and that's your memories. They don't need to be linked to objects you can see and touch. Those are all expendable. Above all, enjoy the season by keeping to your own traditions or making new ones.

Collapse -
Merchants certainly are not "pro Christmas" nor pro...
by grimgraphix / December 5, 2011 3:31 AM PST

... any holiday. If they were pro holidays, then they would not be dragging their employees into the stores for insane hours for a month and a half before christmas. If they were pro holidays, then they would not be opening up on the day of the holiday.

Collapse -
Answer
I don't believe they have...
by John.Wilkinson / December 4, 2011 9:34 PM PST

CNET is a non-denominational brand that services millions of people from around the world, so it's not surprising that CNET goes the secular route instead of backing a single religion or attempting to acknowledge each one individually and equally. Many companies/websites use the more generic "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" to avoid offending those with beliefs different from your own. It is no more anti-Christian (Christmas) than anti-Judaism (Hanukkah) or anti-African American (Kwanzaa).

That said, you are more than welcome to say "Merry Christmas" as much as you want. After all, "Christ's Mass" is a "holy day" indeed. And I for one am happy to share "holy day" gifts with those I love under the tree.

John

Collapse -
Answer
I guess the original poster.....
by Josh K / December 4, 2011 10:18 PM PST

....doesn't have any Jewish or other non-Christian friends. I buy Christmas gifts, Chanukah gifts, etc. I don't refuse to buy a present for holidays other than Christmas, and I don't refuse to buy a gift just because the website says "holiday" instead of "Christmas." I mean really.

Collapse -
for a lot of Christians
by James Denison / December 4, 2011 11:18 PM PST

It's not a big deal. We always had a tree, but also knew it was a pagan custom, not connected to Christ at all really. I mean if you had a tree connected to him it would be a fig tree probably which also would hark back to Genesis. I suppose the lights might symbolize the light the shepherds in the field saw on the night he was born, also the moving star which blinked on and off depending on whether it wanted to be seen or not. We sang Christmas songs, but also knew Christ was more likely born end of June or first half of July. Where I attended there was nothing done at church recognizing Christmas in any religious observance. We were taught 3 types of gifts, not necessarily 3 wise men. For us it was mostly a commercial event beloved by Catholics but one we also enjoyed as a national "holiday".

So, even though personally I don't support it as a required religious event, I do support those who accept it as such, being it's more a commemoration of an important event at a convenient time of year rather than a strict observance based on a particular day. For those Christians who entirely object to Christmas itself, saying we should concentrate instead on his death, burial, and resurrection, I'd remind them that his birth was spoken of in OT & NT as a blessed event same as his life, work, and salvation. I see no reason the entirety of his earthly existence from the beginning can't be celebrated and not any part somehow lessening the other.

Isaiah chapter 9

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government
shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful,
Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his
government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David,
and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and
with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of
hosts will perform this.

Collapse -
It's just because we are humans
by Steven Haninger / December 5, 2011 2:44 AM PST

Going from pagan practices to Christian practices didn't do anything to change our humanness. We celebrate the new and are joyful. We lament partings and are more somber. Jesus had a birthday like anyone else and humans celebrate birthdays. It's how we were made and we just can't help it. Maybe it's a design flaw.

Collapse -
Answer
Merry Chrsitmas to you!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / December 5, 2011 12:39 AM PST

John has explained it best above. We here at CNET serve readers and members from all over the world--different backgrounds, different religions, different traditions...

And the "holidays" term is used to represent and encompass all individuals beliefs.--and it is as simple as just that.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

-Lee
CNET Community

Collapse -
Which leads to the question ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 12:45 AM PST

Is Christmas time also holiday time in countries dominated by other religions? Say India, Japan, China? Or do they just work on December 25 and 26?

Kees

Collapse -
Depends on the country...
by John.Wilkinson / December 5, 2011 12:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Thought, Lee...
by J. Vega / December 5, 2011 5:08 AM PST

Lee, the bottom line was that they were looking for sales by merchants. Merchants have a lot of sales during the year. There are sales for Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Presidents' day, and others. Merchants are always having sales and customers are always looking for them.
But in the case of Christmas lately we have seen dscussion about what those sales are called. You made a case for changing the name from the old traditional name because of people elsewhere in the world not having the same traditions and views about Christmas as people in the U.S., where CNET is based. But that raises the question of those other days I mentioned, which also traditionally cause sales in the U.S. Should CNET also change the name used to refer to those events to something generic because in other places in the world people do not celebrate those days under their traditional U.S. names?
It sometimes seems to me like Christmas was been singled out for a name change, and I'm not surprised that others seem to have noticed and commented on this.

Collapse -
My take....
by Josh K / December 5, 2011 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thought, Lee...

....is that the other holidays you cited are secular, while Christmas is a religious holiday that has been "nationalized" (even "internationalized").

Collapse -
Secular holidays, Josh...
by J. Vega / December 5, 2011 1:10 PM PST
In reply to: My take....

Yes, the ones I happened to mention were secular holidays, but instead of Christmas let's now include others like Easter sales, in some part of the country Mardi Gras sales, and Thanksgiving sales. The first two are religious and the third can be looked upon as either religious or secular.
I guess we'll have to see if the same naming situation comes to pass when they roll around on the calendar.

Collapse -
Consider just the US...
by John.Wilkinson / December 5, 2011 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Thought, Lee...

Recent studies show that a good 25% of the population identifies itself as non-Christian. So while the majority may celebrate Christmas, over 75 million people do not. That's a significant number of people you can potentially exclude by choosing one religion over their beliefs. On the other hand, Labor Day, Independence Day, etc. are American, secular holidays, which presumably are recognized by most, if not all, Americans and do not counter any religious beliefs they may hold.

Nevertheless, CNET does not seem to have been "anti-Christmas" either, with the 12 Days of Christmas and NORAD Santa Tracker being among the more notable from last year.

John

Collapse -
that's odd thinking
by James Denison / December 5, 2011 9:11 AM PST

How is anyone excluded from Christmas by calling it Christmas? If you don't call it was it is, that somehow makes it OK for someone to take part in when otherwise they wouldn't? What then would it be? NOT Christmas? Isn't that more a failing on the would be participant than Christmas itself? One chooses to observe or not observe the holiday based on it's name?! Are they not aware it's still Christmas?

Collapse -
Answer
Why? Exodus 8:19,
by drpruner / December 6, 2011 8:08 AM PST

of course. Happy

Collapse -
God gave them the finger?
by James Denison / December 6, 2011 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Why? Exodus 8:19,
Devil
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.